GreedGUTS [alpha 0.67 WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GreedGUTS [alpha 0.67 WIP]

The goal of Greed is to collect skulls which are dropped from dead/killed players and to deliver those skulls to specific drop points. When a player holding skulls get killed all skulls are dropped and waiting for pickup by other players. The player or team with the higher amount of delivered skulls wins.

GreedGUTS is a slight modification of the original Greed implementation from Mysterial for UT2003/4. The modifications of GreedGUTS are inspired by the UT3 implementation of Greed.

As the original version GreedGUTS provides also the free-for-all (ffa) and team based a game type:
    • GreedFFA : free for all game type - each player is on his own.
    • GreedGUTS: team based game type - skull deliveries count for the whole team.

Both game types can be used with DM-, BR-, CTF-, DOM-, and VCTF-maps. When using DM-maps the skull drop points are randomly inserted into the map. In the team based maps the already existing team bases are used for the skull drop point placements.

Alpha-Notes
    GreedGUTS is still in alpha. There were no in-depth tests of the implemented modifications (yet). There are several known issues which will be removed with a later release (hopefully). But there are for sure also unknown bugs. If you encounter any problem or if you have any suggestion for optimization, please, let me know.

I have renamed this mod and components in order to have as well the original version as also the modified GreedGUTS running in parallel.

Features
    GreedGUTS includes the following modifications from the original Greed by Mysterial:
    • Skulls Preferred: Instead of coins and score points GreedGUTS is all about skulls :-) Added Mesh, Textures, and Sound for bony white, golden and red skull support. The different colored and sized skulls represent different number of skulls:
      • white skull (small) : 1 skull point
      • golden skull (medium): 5 skull points
      • red skull (large) : 20 skull points

In GreedGUTS the only thing that counts for team score is the amount of skulls delivered to the drop points.

• Drop Points: In GreedGUTS/FFA the drop points are implemented as swirls using the particle emitters of UT2004.
      • Red Swirl : drop point of the red team where blue players must deliver
      • Blue Swirl : drop point of the blue team where red players must deliver
      • Red/Blue Swirl: drop point for all players

In the team base game mode the players must deliver the skulls the other teams base swirl which is colored in color of the other team. In the FFA mode the players can use any red-blue swirls as drop point.

• Player Beacon: The player beacon above the pawns heads does show the player name and the number of carrying skulls. The beacons with the number of skulls are shown for all players regardless of the team. In this way, the Greed is meant to be enhanced as you do know who is worth the kill ;-)

• Drop'n'Relocate: Each skull delivery at the drop point will be announced to all players! After delivering skulls to the drop point the player is relocated near the home base to start another run.

• Not Supported: There are some features of the original Greed by Mysterial which are not supported or which are deactivated by default in GreedGUTS.
      • PlayerHUD with player names and number of skulls is deactivated by default
      • The additional mutators SCannon, Singularity, and TreasureChest are removed
      • The configuration for the key items has been removed (at least from the GUI)

For better modification and testing I removed those features from the original for now.

I would be happy to hear what you think of those slight modifications and if it would be worth to go forward with it (already have some more in mind )

Credits
    • Mysterial: All the credit goes to Mysterial who implemented this great mod years ago. Unfortunately, I was not able to contact him (contacts from his web site seem to be outdated).

• Epic: Credits go to Epic for the games UT2004 and UT3 as well as for providing the means for game enhancements to the community.

• Test: Last but not least credits go to the GUTS online testers falvis, nemesis, bingobongo and stalker! Hopefully they read this and are willing to do some more online tests with me ...

Screenshots

Download:

this is dont work i tryed play it just starts a standard ffa game

Comment

**** ... you are quite right ... I missed some references to the original Greed textures ... sorry ... it's fixed in version 0.531a which I just uploaded here:

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

now it works perfectly!

Comment

The skulls are looking a bit high poly. You could rip the skull from the burning human skeletons, scale that up and use that for artistic consistency

Comment

good job!
            found some bugs:
            1.looks like there's some limitation for map-types that this gametype can be played on but all maps for all non-standard gametype display on the map selection menu
            2.GreedGUTS.ini contains some strings with standard settings ([XInterface.HudCDeathmatch],
            [XInterface.HudBase], [Engine.HUD] etc.) so game always starts with this settings.
            3.why there's no skull-pickup sound?

Comment

GreedGUTS alpha 0.6 Update

I have uploaded a new alpha version of GreedGUTS with some many debugging and some more slight modifications. Main modifications in alpha 6:
              • The drop points are now implemented as Swirls generated by particle emitters (like the one for bombing run gates). The swirls do replace the previous used rotating domination rings.

• The player beacons above the pawns heads do now display the number of collected skulls. These are visible for every player. There is no team restriction. In this way you exactly know who is worth the killing

I have added more information and updated screenshots to the beginning of this thread (the screenshots of the swirls look great ... but you have to see them in action :-).

Comment

Originally posted by UnShame View Post
                good job!
                found some bugs:
                1.looks like there's some limitation for map-types that this gametype can be played on but all maps for all non-standard gametype display on the map selection menu
                2.GreedGUTS.ini contains some strings with standard settings ([XInterface.HudCDeathmatch],
                [XInterface.HudBase], [Engine.HUD] etc.) so game always starts with this settings.
                3.why there's no skull-pickup sound?
                Thank you very many And thanks for the bug reporting! Have a look at the version alpha 6: I have limited the map-types in the map selection menu to the maps that can be played with GreedGUTS. Classic Domination and VCTF are not yet fully supported ... but I left them in for testing.

The GreedGUTS.ini should be clean now ... now I know why the mod started so differently on the server

There is a skull-pickup sound ... some standard wet-bone-crashing sound from ut2004 ... but the sound is played with really low volume ... is there a way to pump-up the volume?

Comment

Originally posted by arbee View Post
                  The skulls are looking a bit high poly. You could rip the skull from the burning human skeletons, scale that up and use that for artistic consistency
                  You are right the skull mesh is high poly ... but it was the only available skull I found in my static mesh folder ... and by now I got really accustomed to it :-)

The idea of using an in-game skull sounds great. I would like to try this ... but I definitely have no idea (yet) how to rip out a skull from an ut model ... at least not this way ... I mean without playing

Can you give me some pointers how to do this, please?

Comment

GreedGUTS alpha 0.61 Update

I have uploaded a new alpha version of GreedGUTS with some more changes to the visuals and to the game play. Main modifications in alpha 0.61:
                    • Exchanged the base of the drop point swirls and added base fire effect.
                    • Added sound effects for the drop point swirl ambience and also for skull deliveries
                    • Score in FFA mode does now also only depend on delivered number of skulls
                    • Added option for game speed configuration and set the default game speed to 92%
                    • Removed mercy spread default value and set it to zero.
                    • Made the pickup sound a lot louder

More changes are in the version history file within the package. The latest alpha version can be downloaded here:

Comment

Looks like fun. Too bad nobody plays custom gametypes unless the server is haxed to show up under every single gametype in server browser...

Comment

new drop points look great
                        now bugs:
                        sometimes ut crashes when i choose greed ffa or greedguts gametype or after i quit the match
                        FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (HackedMaplistManager Entry.HackedMaplistManager, Function Engine.MaplistManager.PreBeginPlay) <- ULevel::SpawnActor <- (HackedMaplistManager) <- UObject::execClassContext <- (UT2K4GamePageSP Package.UT2K4GamePageSP @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4GamePageSP.SetupBotText : 0010) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.PushMenu : 0129) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.PushMenu : 0129) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController, Function GUI2K4.UT2K4GUIController.OpenMenu) <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (Entry) <- FailedURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
                        FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::execClassContext <- (UT2K4GamePageSP Package.UT2K4GamePageSP @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4GamePageSP.SetupBotText : 0010) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (UT2K4Tab_GameTypeSP Package.UT2K4Tab_GameTypeSP @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4Tab_GameTypeBase.InternalOnChange : 00C7) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIListBox Package.GUIListBox @ Function XInterface.GUIListBox.InternalOnChange : 002A) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIList Package.GUIList @ Function XInterface.GUIListBase.IndexChanged : 0018) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (GUIListBox Package.GUIListBox, Function XInterface.GUIListBox.InternalOnClick) <- UObject::ProcessDelegate <- UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIList Package.GUIList) <- UGUIController::MouseReleased <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
                        second is about gameplay: why i dont get any award when i bring more than 5 skulls to the drop point?
                        i mean 3 skulls - 3 points, 5 skulls - 5+1=6 points, 7 skulls - 7+1=8 points, 10 skulls - 10+2 points, 15 skulls - 15+3 etc.
                        or something like that

Comment

new drop points look great
                          THAT's what I wanted to hear ... thank you!

now bugs: sometimes ut crashes when i choose greed ffa or greedguts gametype or after i quit the match
                          That must be something about the menu trick. With this trick/hack maps from different game types can be shown in the map list. Otherwise, maps from only one game type can be displayed. The only change I did with alpha 6 was to reduce the number of game types. Did you have the problem with alpha 5 as well as with the latest alpha 6? Could be something about the number of maps to be displayed too much ...?

second is about gameplay: why i dont get any award when i bring more than 5 skulls to the drop point?
                          i mean 3 skulls - 3 points, 5 skulls - 5+1=6 points, 7 skulls - 7+1=8 points, 10 skulls - 10+2 points, 15 skulls - 15+3 etc.
                          or something like that
                          ... because you didn't ask to have such a feature in there, yet ... ... the documentation of the original Greed mentions such feature as already included ... but I didn't find it implemented ... do you have an original Greed version with this feature implemented?

Comment

Did you have the problem with alpha 5 as well as with the latest alpha 6?
                            yea but only once
                            now it happens very often
                            but mb it's because of 2k maps i have
                            ... because you didn't ask to have such a feature in there, yet ... ... the documentation of the original Greed mentions such feature as already included ... but I didn't find it implemented ... do you have an original Greed version with this feature implemented?
                            in the ut3 greed you earn Double damage every 10 skulls you pick up
                            in the original Mysterial's ut2004 greed 1 coin = 1 point, 2 coins = 2 points, 3 coins = 4 points, 4 coins = 7 points etc...
                            you can add both variants as options

Comment

yea but only once
                              now it happens very often
                              but mb it's because of 2k maps i have
                              Does it also happen with the original Greed? I could add options for specifying the type of maps that should be displayed in the menu. In that way the number of displayed maps could be reduced ...

in the original Mysterial's ut2004 greed 1 coin = 1 point, 2 coins = 2 points, 3 coins = 4 points, 4 coins = 7 points etc...
                              Found it ... it was in there all the time ... direct in front of me ... but I was too ignorant to see I did remove this some time ago because I wanted the pure number of skulls to be the only relevant score.

But I do see that it serves the game play of Greed if you get more score points the more collected skulls are delivered at once. I will add some option for this scoring method for players (ffa and team). But I would still like to have the number of skulls the only relevant count for the team score. What do you think?

But I am not quite sure, if the original scoring system should be used for GreedGUTS with golden and red skulls. Because if you deliver three golden skulls (=15 white skulls), for example, you would earn 106 score points. For a red skull (=20 white skulls) you would earn 191 score points... wouldn't this be far to much? What about some additional but fixed score points for each golden (e.g. +2) and each red skull (e.g. +10)?

Comment

Working...
                              X