X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sergeant Kelly's Ballistic Weapon Pack [BETA 9]

Sergeant Kelly's Ballistic Weapon Pack BETA 9

Hey there! It's public beta time!

Because nobody likes to wait ungodly amounts of time and because Ballistic Weapons V2.5 came out recently, I'm here to announce the public beta of Sergeant Kelly's Ballistic Bonus Pack, Version 9! (In giant green letters because that's what the PR guys said to do.)

This is compatible with the latest version of Ballistic Weapons but is not fully complete yet. The link can be found below. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

PUBLIC BETA DOWLOAD

Gun Count:
    V6: 7 new guns
    V8: 9 new guns
    V9: 17 new guns
    Total: 33 brand new killing devices!

V9 Weapons:

Melee:
    [Berserk Fists]
    [NEX Plas-Edge Sword]
    [XM300 Dragon Nanoblade]

Machine Pistols:
    [MR-DR88 Machine Pistol]
    [GRS1 Machine Pistol]
    [A49 Skrith Blaster]

Shotguns:
    [Sawn-Off Coach Gun]
    [SKAS-21 Super Shotgun]

Assault Rifles:
    [CYLO Urban Assault Weapon]
    [CYLO Firestorm IV Incendiary Rifle]

Long-Range Rifles:
    [LS-14 Laser Carbine]
    [R98 Hunting Rifle]
    [SRS Mod-2 Battle Rifle]

Grenades:
    [XM84 Heavy Tech Grenade]
    [G28 Medicinal Aerosol]

Heavy Weapons:
    [Bulldog .75 Assault Cannon]
    [SRAC-21/G 20mm Autocannon]

Shown below are some delicious pictures!

[SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic7.jpg[/SHOT][SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic8.jpg[/SHOT][SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic6.jpg[/SHOT][SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic5.jpg[/SHOT][SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic2.jpg[/SHOT][SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/15/14344/thumb_620x2000/SargeBWBPPic1.jpg[/SHOT]

A bit redundant with the bullet sprayers, no? The prototypes are even more so but those aren't part of this pack so I can't really judge.

IDEAS: Bows, laser explosives, different types of gases, freezing weapons. There's a weapon limit in UT2004 so make more creative use of it! Maybe you could overdo the grenade category?

FUN GUNS:

SRS M2 - This has a satisfying 'garand'ish feeling when you pop with it. Fun with ragdoll madness on low setting so it's a tactical tripping rifle.

Coach Gun - !!!!! Reload time is a bit slow and the barrel smoke seems thick, even the spread might be a bit too much.

Bulldog - The rockets make this a bit overpowered but the pump action gives a wholesome feeling to this one like i'm actually firing some powerful stuff.

Sawn-off Coach Gun - !!!!!!!!!! Better when akimbo'd. It's overall more effective than the coachgun just for reloading speed alone. The bigger spread doesn't compromise it much.

R98 Hunting Rifle - Never thought a bolt action fast version of the sniper rifle could be fun to use though it may be too much like the Deermaster.

Comment

We're trying our best with the non-bullet shooters, less than half of the new ones are actual straight up bullet hoses. We've also got a couple interesting ideas in the pipeline, like an electrical war hammer, a high powered wide laser cutter, chainsaw launching bows, etc.

And don't mind the prototypes, most of those poor guys will never see the light of day!

Comment

I'm just curious here Kelly. What sort of optimization are you doing on your files? I've joined a few servers in the past where the regular ballistic textures breeze by, but your files are much much larger and therefore take much much longer. I guess I'll DL it and see what the deal is for myself.

Well after a bit of poking around here's what i see:

a lot of 2048 by 2048 textures. You should avoid this size if possible. In case you don't know, a 2048 texture is 4 times as much data as a 1024, which increases the amount of RAM used, but provides little benefit in visual clarity. It also greatly increases the amount of time people have to wait to join servers running this mod, and can cause lagginess for people with older machines as the textures get loaded into memory. (I experienced a lot of this on ballistics servers.) If you look at Epic's weapon sets, they are all 1024 or smaller.

Your textures should be set to LODSET_WeaponSkin instead of the default LODSET_World. This helps the game manage rendering these textures. Your shaders and final blends should also have fallback textures set (usually just the base texture.)

I do see a lot of variety in the textures, but to me, a lot of them seem redundant. I get that you're trying to create a lot of weapon variations, but 6 or 7 recolors of the same texture seems a bit much to me. A few of the simpler recolors could be done quite effectively with color modifiers which would reduce size of this package yet again.

Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of things you're doing right (dxt1 base textures for example, and intelligent use of shaders/specularity.) I just think you could improve the textures from 113 mb to something more server friendly, and more friendly to people with older machines.

Comment

Yeah, the variety in skin choices (especially with the 2048x2048 M14 EBR) are responsible for a lot of bloat in the texture pack. I've been mulling over what would be the best way to handle this, either by putting the variants in a separate package not required for online play or by downsizing and removing camo patterns.

Unfortunately, due to the way the massive M14 texture is arranged, downsizing it results in some significant detail loss.

Ideally I'd be able to make a smaller camo-pattern texture that could be set to overlay specific parts of the guns, a la Call of Duty, but I have yet to produce any decent looking results. I could probably recreate the textures via specular maps and self-illumination, but that would only be viable if the specular mask, self illum mask, and camo base added up to less than a simple imported deal from Photoshop.

Though this color modifier seems interesting, if I can use that to replicate some of the existing patterns I'll probably be able to shave off a couple MBs. While I haven't been too focused on optimization, uploading and downloading the package does get tiresome, so these tips are definitely appreciated.

Comment

working with 2.5 ballistic as well?

Comment

Yes, the V9 is 2.5 compatible.

Although I agree with arbee on the thing with more variety a bit, what you and your team achieved is just epic.
              But I hope that you finalize the chainsaw-sword soon, it reminds me a lot of the Chainswords from Warhammer 40k.
              (Link to pic)

Comment

I stared at that image for several minutes and I still couldn't figure out which one was supposed to be which. I imagine that is fault of jpg compression, but it also illustrates my point, there is very little to gain with extra large textures. That's also one of the reasons you need to set your LOD (Level of Detail) correctly on your weapons. World detail is reduced before WeaponSet, in other words, when you set World detail to anything lower than the highest setting your weapon textures will become more blurry no matter what resolution you use. These settings carry over to unreal ed, where you took that screenshot.

Originally posted by Sergeant Kelly View Post

Ideally I'd be able to make a smaller camo-pattern texture that could be set to overlay specific parts of the guns, a la Call of Duty, but I have yet to produce any decent looking results. I could probably recreate the textures via specular maps and self-illumination, but that would only be viable if the specular mask, self illum mask, and camo base added up to less than a simple imported deal from Photoshop.
                You can also use combiners and final blends to achieve some cool effects. Keep in mind two things: Your masks do not need be the same size as the base layer. In other words, you can use a 256 mask for your 1024 textures, so try to get away with the smallest one you can. DXT5 (I notice you used DXT3) will give you smoother results on alpha layers, the difference between their file sizes is negligible.

Though this color modifier seems interesting, if I can use that to replicate some of the existing patterns I'll probably be able to shave off a couple MBs. While I haven't been too focused on optimization, uploading and downloading the package does get tiresome, so these tips are definitely appreciated.
                Color modifiers will work best on neutral bases that don't have a lot of color range already, should work well on the golden gun, for example.

Comment

i will wait until full version

Comment

Warning: CYLOMk2PrimaryFire DM-CBP2-TelMecoMEX.CYLOAssaultWeapon.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire5 (Function BWBPRecolors3.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadiu s:0009) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Warning: CYLOMk2PrimaryFire DM-CBP2-TelMecoMEX.CYLOAssaultWeapon.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire5 (Function BWBPRecolors3.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadiu s:001B) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Warning: CYLOMk2PrimaryFire DM-CBP2-TelMecoMEX.CYLOAssaultWeapon.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire5 (Function BWBPRecolors3.CYLOMk2PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadiu s:002C) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Log: Unreal Call Stack: UObject::ProcessEvent <- UWeaponFire::ModeTick <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- UServerCommandlet::Main
                    Exit: Exiting.
                    Warning: LS14PrimaryFire DM-Koden.LS14Carbine.LS14PrimaryFire3 (Function BWBPRecolors3.LS14PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadius:0 009) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Warning: LS14PrimaryFire DM-Koden.LS14Carbine.LS14PrimaryFire3 (Function BWBPRecolors3.LS14PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadius:0 01B) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Warning: LS14PrimaryFire DM-Koden.LS14Carbine.LS14PrimaryFire3 (Function BWBPRecolors3.LS14PrimaryFire.TargetedHurtRadius:0 02C) Accessed None 'Weapon'
                    Log: Unreal Call Stack: UObject::ProcessEvent <- UWeaponFire::ModeTick <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- UServerCommandlet::Main
                    Exit: Exiting.
                    TargetedHurtRadius code in both weapons and all other incendiary weapons crashes the game and is used only for igniting gas clouds. Off the top of my head four weapons use incendiary code (XMB-500, CYLO MK2, AH-104 and LS-14) compared to one known crasher in default BW (GRS-9 laser). This multiplies the risk of this crash for users using V25 by five for non-essential code. I don't know if it still exists - if not please advise.

Withholding all other commentary until final release.

Comment

Is there a known alternative to this code that achieves similar results with less crashing? Is there a known reason why this causes crashes?

By the way, I think the Bulldog Primary uses this code, without such code it would really be limiting in the desired functionality (explosive hit-scan).

Originally posted by Barionyx View Post
                      Yes, the V9 is 2.5 compatible.

Although I agree with arbee on the thing with more variety a bit, what you and your team achieved is just epic.
                      But I hope that you finalize the chainsaw-sword soon, it reminds me a lot of the Chainswords from Warhammer 40k.
                      (Link to pic)
                      Thanks man! Unfortunately, I hate my chainsaw sword. :P Would much rather get my much cooler looking huge yellow McCulloch chainsaw in game before that one. And yeah, I am fully aware of the WH40k chainsaw sword, I kinda am designing my own in spite of it. :P

Love the concept, and I can appreciate its design from a practical standpoint (minis are hard to get finer details into), but it makes absolutely no sense scaled up and put in the hands of someone. I aim to design a chainsaw similar in function to existing battery operated chainsaws, what I figure to be the closest real-world equivalent to a chainsaw sword, and take as few sci-fi liberties as possible (which would include packing much more power and endurance into things the same size as what we currently have in battery operated chainsaws).

Comment

Working...
                      X