X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts[RC1]

Name: file name: CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts; title: Sly.'s Block Forts
    Version: RC 1
    Compatibility: regular UT2004, no bonus content should be needed, should also work with UT2003
    Construction time: about 3 hours (incl. recreation of the original textures) + some hours of testing and spectating bots.
    Description: "Do you recognize this arena? Probably yes. Once you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground and ?-boxes. Today you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"
    (small note: forgot the dot in my name, will be changed in the final )
    Credits: Epic Games for the Unreal series, the engine, the UEd3 and UT2003/4, myself for recreating the map (), Nintendo for the original "arena" and Nemephosis, who requested this remake
    Screenshots:
    [SHOT]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9416/slysblockforts1.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1181/slysblockforts2.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1092/slysblockforts3.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8524/slysblockforts4.jpg[/SHOT]

Comment: This map is almost a 1 -1 remake. I tried to recreate it as accurately as possible and I think I did it.
    I recreated this map for Nemephosis, since he couldn't find what he was searching for (and since I needed something new to work on that doesn't take ages to finish). He wanted the blue and green forts to be swapped so I did this, I added all necessary pickups and tried to balance the map as good as I could. I hope you all will like it, I had pretty much fun with it while testing and I'm very surprised how good it turned out

ENJOY!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
    The Release Candidate 1 is out. The download link has been updated.

Changes from the beta:
    • Reduced player count to 2-8
    • Added location volumes for the ground level and both levels of each forts
    • Added a small sun (seriously, it seemed a bit strange that there was sunlight but no sun in this map)
    • Corrected Shock Rifle ammo issue
    • slightly improved paths (corrected some issues, I don't see a need for AI scripts in this map though, the bots act fine without them)
    • Reduced the number of adrenaline pills on the map to a half
    • Fixed the skybox issue (the blue bottom is now grey/white)
    • Added a map description

Still known issues:
    • Still no music (in search for a good remix of the original Block Fort music, if I don't find one for the final I'll use a calm UT2004 song, probably one of the Level tracks)
    • There is still no screenshot. The screenshot will be added when the map reaches its final state.

And now...
    ...DOWNLOAD ME!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
    Latest version can be found here.

OMFG, YES. You're incredible. I'm definitely playing this right now. Will let you know how it is

edit: Played a quick match. I don't think it's too bright at all, that's what the Mario world is. Bright with cheery colours. And of course, Block Fort IS a Mario-series map... There MAY be just a touch too much adrenaline on the top though, maybe put 5 pills on each runway up there. lol. Might have overdone that a bit.

8 players is definitely fast paced enough.

Music: Hmm. We need some music, but can we use Mario kart battle mode music? Or would this fall under copyrights and stuff... I dunno, I have other Mario style maps that use Mario music... personally, I don't see the problem, of course no one makes money off their maps and as long as all credit goes to Nintendo (and more specifically, whoever composed it if we can find that out) there shouldn't be a problem.

On one hand, I sort of kind of like the Unreal Demolition blockfort as a base for this... but then having played CTF on that (I found some converter thing that uses DM maps and puts CTF flags in them so you can play CTF on them) that seems way too big. WAY too big. I put 32 players in there and STILL had a hard time finding targets.

Only thing we need now is a CTF4 version :P Hey, we're halfway there already

Overall? I like, a lot Thanks so much for making it.

Comment

No problem I just needed a break of all the other maps I'm currently working on (and that's basically every single map I have made since none of them is final yet, lol) and since I'm addicted to the UEd I have to take a break by making other maps! And what's better than making such a simple map like this?

Well, the music is (as you already said) copyrighted, that's the problem. AfaIk Koji Kondo made the music in this one as well (such as the music of many other Nintendo games, especially the Zelda series) I'm not 100% sure though.

Yeah, what concerns the adrenaline you seem to be right. I've overdone it a bit (although it adds a lot to the fast-paced gameplay, as you requested I'll reduce it to half the adrenaline count though).

So, the weapon placement seems to be all fine, right?

Comment

I'd put a different weapon on the middle tiers where the link/lightning guns are now. Blue can get the Shock Rifle, Red the Rocket Launcher, Green the Minigun, and Gold the Flak Cannon. This would add a dynamic to the map if you made a CTF4 version too. I remember playing a CTF4 map for UT that did something like that, where each base got a different weapon, which made attacking and defending them all different strategies.

Comment

Haha, talk about incidents.
          Made this in January: http://bigbattleservers.com/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=3028

(Just BTW, you might hear more about VCTF4 in the future )

Comment

Ha, it was that one I played in the past. It was awsome.

Comment

oops double post

Comment

I don't think Nintendo has ever taken action on music posted from their games. I think Kondo himself once said it was flattering that so many people like his music. (Kenta Nagata actually composed the music in MarioKart64 though.) If they ever did take any action, you'd get a cease and desist, and if they were in that sort of mood, they could issue one for your level as well.

One option I suppose is to use remixed music. There aren't any remixes of the battle music on OC, but both of these are quite nice, but probably too laid back. One problem with remixes though is most of the time they don't loop well.
                http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02032/
                http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02165/

I uploaded some appropriate music (Mario and Luigi Circuit from Brawl) to my filefront account if you want to use it, and if you haven't found any music by your next build, type in a file name in the audio properties at least. The file name I used was used in another BlockFort remake, so might as well leave it the same.

Comment

I can always just email Nintendo and ask. It can't hurt, the worst that happens is they say no.

Originally posted by PaD View Post
                  Haha, talk about incidents.
                  Made this in January: http://bigbattleservers.com/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=3028

(Just BTW, you might hear more about VCTF4 in the future )
                  Looks good, but for CTF continuity, either red/gold should be swapped, or blue/green, so that Blue and Red are across from each other, and Green and Gold are. I'll be looking into that more later for sure...

Comment

[UPDATE]

Release Candidate 1 is out. The first post has been updated.

Enjoy!

Comment

You added a sun, eh? You need to use ANGRY SUN from SMB3 in that case

http://www.d3dgames.com/images/Classic2/smb21.jpg

edit: Also, I'd really prefer no music over UT music. Mario music is not "calm".

This is the music they used on Block Fort, but personally I don't like it, I would use something from the SNES game maybe. I'll look around, see what I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqyjNQaFNQ

But I always liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_yUrcfdwbk

Also, if you don't mind, I would really like to do a writeup for the map description

Comment

Haha. Nice one but it doesn't fit to the comic/cartoony like look of MK64, this game was more "realistic" in that case so I used a more realistic sun (if you look at other MK64 tracks you'll see that the suns don't have a smile either ).

Comment

It doesn't have to be realistic. If we're going for nostalgia, we might as well go all the way with it.

Comment

So what do you think of the map description? Is it all fine, does it have any orthography or grammar mistakes? I'm not a native English speaker after all

Comment

Just minor stuff.

"Do you recognize this arena? Probably yes. Once you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground and ?-boxes. Today you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"

This is what it would be, corrected.

"Do you recognize this arena? Probably, (comma) yes. Once, (comma) you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground, (comma) and ?-boxes. Today, (comma) you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground, (comma) and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"

So basically, just a few commas. Other than that, yeah, it's done very well.

Edit: Wait, you're not a native English speaker, and yet you used the word "orthography"? Hell, I had to look that up LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X