No announcement yet.

DM-Thuliac [beta]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah when I smooth it it doesn't seem to last. I'm not that bothered anymore though, I think the raggedness works with the crystal shapes, but it does make it easier to glitch under the map. Your pain volume idea does sound like another possible solution, I would like there to be an obvious reason for the pain to be there though. hhm ideas? Is it important?

Comment

Jefe..permission granted hommie.

Comment

Originally posted by INIQUITOUS View Post
        Yeah when I smooth it it doesn't seem to last. I'm not that bothered anymore though, I think the raggedness works with the crystal shapes, but it does make it easier to glitch under the map. Your pain volume idea does sound like another possible solution, I would like there to be an obvious reason for the pain to be there though. hhm ideas? Is it important?

The obvious reason (for me anyway) is that the planet has a naturally toxic atmosphere. Safe atmosphere is maintained on paths only. Doing it this way can give players a choice of strategy, cross the terrain and lose 30-40 hp, or play it safe and walk around? You could maybe put some sort of atmosphere generators near the pathways too, which could provide cover.

Anyway, I took a look at your terrain in the editor just now and I see the problem - your terrain scale is x=74 y=74 and z=64. The vertical axis should be set to a much lower number than the x and y dimensions. I suggest a value of 8 to 12 which will result in much smoother terrain. You'll need to rework the terrain layer a bit, but I think it will be worth it.

@FewPosts was that supposed to be a PM?

Comment

Thanks jefe, I had similar thoughts to yours about some sort of toxicness. I changed the terrain scale like you suggested and it looks more smooth overall, Some places keep going jagged again but they are few and far between now.

What I've decided to do in this new version (beta10) is to allow players to walk over the terrain if they wish, instead i've coded an actor that checks if players are under the terrain, (on those small ledge areas) and if they are then they take 5 damage every second. It was the hiding under the map that was my main concern. So far its working great.

Please check out the new changes.

New version here , also updated link on first post

Comment

Looks good. I'd suggest still having pain zones or something on the periphery of the map, so you don't run straight into the blocking volumes.

Comment

I've made another version v12. I've added a visible barrier which I think works pretty good. Its just a visual thing to display the boundary. I've also updated the level description to reflect this. I did make some other changes but I cannot remember what they were!! Let me know if it looks good to go!

New Version Here, also updated link on first post

Comment

Made a few more slight changes and fixes. Removed all the signs now, fixed a mesh in the floor too much and fixed collisions on some of the meshes and updated level preview. I'll release the final tonight!

Comment

Looks really cool but why d\l link doesn't work?
                  ah, ok, it's there http://www.shaungoeppinger.com/maps.html

Comment

Thanks,

The final has been released here http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=748922 , I removed the betas from my site.

Comment

Working...
                    X