Onslaught Specials - new map features for a popular gametype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onslaught Specials - new map features for a popular gametype

Originally it started out with just a special power node class to make standalone nodes and prime nodes possible, but features added up over time. I strongly recommend reading the documentation linked below and embedding the code as mentioned there, otherwise you may cause problems to admins and players using your map if I update the package.
    • Special power node/core classes with features such as standalone nodes, prime nodes, tilted skybeams, forced associate actors that are closer to other nodes/cores, custom health, build time, healing speed, height.
    • ForcedDirVolume like in UT3, so vehicles don't hit invisible walls but are softly pushed back to the gameplay area.
    • xTeamMonitor, an Onslaught-friendly implementation of the CTF/BR/DOM-style monitors with team symbols on them.
    • xTeamMaterialSwitch, which picks a MaterialSwitch material based on who owns the associated node or core.

Links:
    Screenshots:
    [shot]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2976/onslaughtspecialssmalln.jpg[/shot] Customizable node height, customizable node name.

[shot]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6374/onsspecialstiltednodehe.jpg[/shot] Tilted node, which also is a standalone node; link beam locking onto node energy thingy.

You forgot to mention the fancy text that shows up above the Node now and that says the name of the Node.

But ****, now we REALLY have everything one could think of to 100% recreate UT3 maps.

Comment

Oh right. Nodes can have custom names now like in UT3 and those names are displayed in owning team's color above the node's health bar.

Comment

I've never been jealous about any of your coding work except this.

Any plans about more features for this pack besides the few things about the ForcedDirVolume?

And is this a release that can be used for mapping, or will you release more versions with this filename so that it could cause version mismatches?

EDIT: Oh, and in your documentation should you mention some default values, for example 4500 for the PowerCore's health and 2000 for the Node's health. And the default Node Sphere height.

It's probably all set to the default values in the actor's properties, but maybe for the documentation..

Comment

Future versions will probably be released under the same package name, which is why I recommend embedding the package. It's only 135kB, so it impacts map file size much less than an average custom texture.

Comment

sweet..... this will be in ONS-Floodgate along with Crushas ONS tools... cant wait

Comment

Don't expect any updates any time soon. If you want to use it, go ahead and do so right now.

I can think of only one feature I'd like to add, but I currently don't have any idea how to do it: Standalone node networks.
              Basically that's a network of (mostly non-standalone) power nodes that are not connected to any power core. A team can gain access to the network by capturing standalone nodes in the network, which at that point act as improvised power core in that network. If the standalone node is destroyed, any nodes connected to it become isolated unless they are also linked to another standalone node of the same team.
              I suppose standalone nodes could also be connected to a network containing the power cores, though in that case the enemy power core should not become vulnerable unless there's actually a power link chain from the other core. I don't think that's possible without modifications to the gametype itself.

Comment

This is definitely pretty awesome. I actually really like the particular change allowing the nodes to be named - A small change that nevertheless allows each map to feel more unique instead of "ONS map with nodes 1-6 #124."

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                Don't expect any updates any time soon. If you want to use it, go ahead and do so right now.

I can think of only one feature I'd like to add, but I currently don't have any idea how to do it: Standalone node networks.
                Basically that's a network of (mostly non-standalone) power nodes that are not connected to any power core. A team can gain access to the network by capturing standalone nodes in the network, which at that point act as improvised power core in that network. If the standalone node is destroyed, any nodes connected to it become isolated unless they are also linked to another standalone node of the same team.
                I suppose standalone nodes could also be connected to a network containing the power cores, though in that case the enemy power core should not become vulnerable unless there's actually a power link chain from the other core. I don't think that's possible without modifications to the gametype itself.
                Don't you think it would be somewhat confusing to have multiple node networks in the game simultaneously? (1 main node network, plus one or more standalone node networks?)

I suppose I can see this being useful in one-offs, but the idea just generally seems like it would be confusing unless well-handled.

Side note: Has anyone brought the orb functionality to 2k4 yet?

Comment

Man, I am really looking forward to see the first maps with such functions. :thumbs up:

Comment

There were complaints about that the Orb would ruin the fun about ONS, so I don't know if it's worth porting it.

Shouldn't be soooo hard?

One Inventory class that spawns the trailing orb and checks for PowerNodes in it's proximity by using the Tick, then use the link beam on that Node, set it to the shielded state (I think it's "bPoweredByRed/Blue = False", isn't it?) and for each touching actor (touching from the perspective of the owner) that is a PowerNode will simply destroy and build that Node at once. (Unless there is a more elegant way that applies the teamspecific changes to vehicles, etc. without blowing them up and waiting for their respawn)

Then a pickup class that is somehow integrated into a network of orb bases so that there aren't two orbs spawned at the same time. The orb bases are rated by the LD (in two directions, red and blue) so that the orb will respawn at the highest rated base that is controlled by the team.
                    However, the LD also must specify the Node in the properties of the orb base to which that base is connected. Or Wormbo's PowerNode needs to be extended so that is also considers actors of the class "OrbBase" for the CloseActors array…

And if the carrier dies, then a pickup orb is spawned with a countdown until it's destruction.. and a HUDOverlay to display the orb's location on the radar and the countdown above it.

Comment

Don't put too much thinking effort into standalone node networks. I really only like to see a two-stage standalone node here (standalone + regular) where the second node unlocks a powerful vehicle, turret or map mechanism. Ideally the nodes would have a bit less health and slower healing to make capturing harder and destruction easier.

Comment

Speaking about node enhancements, what about adding support for custom damage dealt by custom damage types, much like in UT3 where nodes and cores get damaged by different amount of damage depending on their damage types. Oh, and it would make sense if both nodes and cores would be succeptable to the same damage type, instead of nodes being like infantry and cores being like vehicles.

Comment

I don't think that feature is really necessary. The damage that is currently dealt seems balanced to me. Letting the LD choose which damage type deals more damage would confuse the players on different maps.

And otherwise you would need to give some more concrete values from UT3 as example.
                          Besides that the Nodes already distinguish between damage types. You can't damage them with the DamageType "Falling".

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
                            And otherwise you would need to give some more concrete values from UT3 as example.
                            http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Rock...l_Tournament_3 - see "vs nodes" at the right.

Comment

To the orb: It spawns always at the new node. But what if there is a orbbase at a standalone node?

Comment

Working...
                              X