Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VCTF-BattleDam [Pics][DL][FInal]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    VCTF-BattleDam [Pics][DL][FInal]

    Name: VCTF-BattleDam

    Version: Final released

    Compatibility: UT2004

    Description: Medium VCTF map with bases on the two sides of a dam.

    Comments: Final released mostly thanks to this thread.

    Screenshots:

    [SHOT]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6619/shot00181n.png[/SHOT]

    [SHOT]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7076/shot00182v.png[/SHOT]

    [SHOT]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5639/shot00184f.png[/SHOT]

    Credits:
    Everybody who contributed the construction of this map by providing feedback.
    Big thanks to Crusha K. Rool for the detailed feedback

    Download:
    FIleFront: http://www.filefront.com/17371408/VCTF-BattleDam/
    UP: http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...o=file&id=7836

    #2
    Looks nice. But could you add an emitter under the dam where the water flows? (first pic, where the waterfalls are) And the waterfalls should be made with emitters too, not completly (a static mesh makes it look better sometimes) but only as deco because that looks a bit unnatural. Except of this it's a nice map. If you need emitters which are like waterfalls, I could pick a map with a good one and tell you the name.

    Comment


      #3
      Crocodile review:

      -You can use Top Menu Bar -> Tools -> Review Paths to have some general checks on your paths. Most of them are fine, you can ignore the errors due to the ShieldPickups on the oil containers, but you can fix a few of the warnings. For example it recommends you to use a PickupBase for the shields. Do it, even if you hide it inside the contain mesh and adjust the spawnheight of the pickup.
      Sometimes he asks you to add a PathNode between two because the distance is too long otherwise - do it.

      -The lift-Mover is badly lit. You have two options in it's properties:
      *Go to the Mover-tab and set bDynamicLightMover to True to make the lift use realtime lightning, changing according to where it moves along (and of course better looking than the fully lit version that it is currently).
      *Go to the Display-tab and set bStaticLighting to True. That will force the Light Rebuild to render the lighting of the mesh at it's location (you can choose the location via BrushRaytraceKey in the Mover-tab), which also looks better than the current result.

      In any case should you set bShadowCast in the Display-tab to False to prevent the lift from having the dark area left below it when it's moving.

      -You should do something about the killing infront of the dam. At least does it look bad if you smack on a literally rock-hard watersurface down there. You should have a separate ground plane and the water a bit above it and only kill a player if he falls inside the water. Is a nice effect than exploding in midair. The normal 'Drowning'-DamageType feels also more right, even if it doesn't have the custom death message.
      For preventing a player to land on the pipes of the dam: Just make a pyramidal or prism-like shaped BlockingVolume so that everything that tries to land on a pipe slides away on it and will for sure land in the water.

      -Nice job on the SurfaceTypes.

      -You should make the bunker 3 zones instead of one. That will improve it's efficiency. For example can't you see the two rooms with the vehicles if you look through the front door, but they are still rendered. So make each vehicle room a separate zone and all will be fine.

      -The turbines in the dam are a bit silent, I couldn't hear them in my test play.

      -You probably wanted to rotate the Jumppad-Emitters, but didn't know how to do that because they always stayed rotated in the same direction. Here is how:
      In the properties of the Emitter open the Emitter-tab and select the EmitterEffect from the array that you want to change.
      By default Emitters use an own coordinate system that is independent from any of the others used in UnrealEd.
      To change it go to the Effect's 'General'-tab and change CoordinateSystem from PTCS_Independent to PCTS_Relative.
      Now go to the 'Rotation'-tab and change UseRotationFrom to PTRS_Actor to use the rotation of this Emitter-Actor for the Effect.

      If you want you can change bDirectional to True in the 'Advanced'-tab of the Emitter-Actor to easily adjust the rotation.

      -You didn't fix the WeaponBase texture bug.

      -Make your hidden room a bLonelyZone.

      -Sometimes can semi-solid brushes avoid unnecessary BSP-cuts. For example the concrete blocks in the generator room of the dam. Make them semi-solid to have less BSP-cuts on the ground and floor. But watch out for semi-solid errors. The bowfront on which the IonTank is placed could also be a good candidate for a semi-solid. Keep your eyes open and you'll find more places, but make sure they match the requirements for semi-solid architecture.


      The Ion Tank might be a bit too powerful because it's perfectly made for spawnkilling in the bunker area, dunno… maybe place some more PlayerStarts in the back room at the vehicles because the Ion Tank can't shoot that spot that easily.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        You can use Top Menu Bar -> Tools -> Review Paths to have some general checks on your paths. Most of them are fine, you can ignore the errors due to the ShieldPickups on the oil containers, but you can fix a few of the warnings. For example it recommends you to use a PickupBase for the shields. Do it, even if you hide it inside the contain mesh and adjust the spawnheight of the pickup.
        Interesting tool, never seen it xD
        Anyway how to add it? Under the properties -> Pickup there is PickUpBase, do i need to add there the classic mesh of the shields? 'StaticMesh'XGame_rc.ShieldChargerMesh' Coz nothing happens xD


        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        Sometimes he asks you to add a PathNode between two because the distance is too long otherwise - do it.
        Ok will do

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        The lift-Mover is badly lit. You have two options in it's properties:
        *Go to the Mover-tab and set bDynamicLightMover to True to make the lift use realtime lightning, changing according to where it moves along (and of course better looking than the fully lit version that it is currently).
        Ok i did this. Also setted bShadowCast on False.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        You should do something about the killing infront of the dam. At least does it look bad if you smack on a literally rock-hard watersurface down there. You should have a separate ground plane and the water a bit above it and only kill a player if he falls inside the water. Is a nice effect than exploding in midair.
        At the beginning it was like that, but then people complained because it took too long to die and obviusly more time to respawn. Will move the water surface up a bit though so death people wont stand on the water.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        For preventing a player to land on the pipes of the dam: Just make a pyramidal or prism-like shaped BlockingVolume so that everything that tries to land on a pipe slides away on it and will for sure land in the water.
        Good idea.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        Nice job on the SurfaceTypes.


        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        You should make the bunker 3 zones instead of one. That will improve it's efficiency. For example can't you see the two rooms with the vehicles if you look through the front door, but they are still rendered. So make each vehicle room a separate zone and all will be fine.
        Ok thanks for pointing this.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        The turbines in the dam are a bit silent, I couldn't hear them in my test play.
        Yeah i copied them from a DM map (Asbestos maybe), i set the volumes on max but still cant hear anything <.<

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        You probably wanted to rotate the Jumppad-Emitters, but didn't know how to do that because they always stayed rotated in the same direction. Here is how:
        ...
        THX! I never understood how to rotate them!

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        You didn't fix the WeaponBase texture bug.
        Fixed.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        Make your hidden room a bLonelyZone.
        Done.

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        Sometimes can semi-solid brushes avoid unnecessary BSP-cuts. For example the concrete blocks in the generator room of the dam. Make them semi-solid to have less BSP-cuts on the ground and floor. But watch out for semi-solid errors.
        How do those errors look like? Seems fine now

        Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        The bowfront on which the IonTank is placed could also be a good candidate for a semi-solid. Keep your eyes open and you'll find more places, but make sure they match the requirements for semi-solid architecture.
        The only requirement i know is that semi solid brushes cant touch each other, are there more?

        Comment


          #5
          If a face of a semi-solid touches a solid then that face will turn invisible. That's no problem and good if a small semi-solid face touches a bigger solid face, but if a semi-solid face isn't completely covered by a solid one, then you will be able to look and walk through that face.

          Sometimes a semi-solid face can turn invisible for no obvious reason. I don't know what's the cause of that but it seems to happen if you have many semi-solids in one place or if other complex brushes are around. You should try to move some other brushes or zone portals then or convert some semi-solids back into solids. Maybe it also happens if many semi-solids are exactly on the same coordinate-line, even if they are on the other side of the map.

          All you need to know is here: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialssemi.htm

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Darkemule View Post
            Interesting tool, never seen it xD
            Anyway how to add it? Under the properties -> Pickup there is PickUpBase, do i need to add there the classic mesh of the shields? 'StaticMesh'XGame_rc.ShieldChargerMesh' Coz nothing happens xD
            No, shields and health are added just like weapons - you use a Charger actor of their type.

            Comment


              #7
              List of the fixes/changes:
              • Added Emitters for the pipes
              • Added pathnodes where the distance was too long
              • Changed the lift lighting option
              • Raised the water surface a bit
              • Zoned the bunkers
              • Rotated the Emitters
              • Fixed the WeaponBase texture bug
              • The hidden room is a bLonelyZone now
              • The cement block inside the dam and the ion tank support are now semi-solid
              • Changed the collision of the pipes


              Excuse my ignorance but i still dont get the ShieldBase thingy, could you be more specific please

              For the turbines sounds i cant get it working either. I duplicated the AmbientSound with the water sound, i changed the sound in IndoorAmbience5 but even with volume at max i cant hear anything >.<

              Thanks for the patience

              Comment


                #8
                Actor -> xPickupBase -> ShieldCharger is what you need to add.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Actor -> xPickupBase -> ShieldCharger is what you need to add.
                  Well yeah but those on the oil tanks are a bit different.. They are 25 shield, not the standar 50, thats why i didn't get it xD.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Open its properties and under PickUpBase, set PowerUp to your custom shield.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      nice map...going to try it out.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        something to add, there is a teleporter that doesn't has a tag, teleporter3, so this means that there isn't a teleporter that teleports us to there, or is it? I have been in the editor to try to find how do I get to the redeemer and the Ion Painter, how eleportdo I get to them if there the ter doesn't has a tag(isn't a destination, just has one o_0)?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          [sorry for triple posting]
                          No wait, there is the teleporter1(?) that goes to teleporter3(Secret) that goes to teleporter2(back)
                          were is the one that goes to teleporter1?
                          here is how it is:


                          Uploaded with ImageShack.us

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Ok i figured out how to change the shields but now it gives the error because the base is floating <,<

                            Originally posted by 100GPing100 View Post
                            [sorry for triple posting]
                            No wait, there is the teleporter1(?) that goes to teleporter3(Secret) that goes to teleporter2(back)
                            were is the one that goes to teleporter1?
                            As you said, Teleporter1 sends to Teleporter3 which sends to Teleporter2.
                            Why there should be a teleporter that sends to the Teleporter1? The purpose of the secret is that people MUST find the Teleporter1

                            Comment


                              #15
                              yes i know but the teleporter1 is inside a cube that is inside the Dam, how do i get inside the Dam to get inside a cube that doesn't has any entrance?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X