X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONS-{DX}Ameliorate

Name: ONS-{DX}Ameliorate

Version: Beta 3

Compatibility: UT2004 (don't know if ECE is required, I consider it part of the game in everything I create)

Description:
    A conversion of the CTF-Version to a NoVehicles ONS-map, taking place in and around two Egyptian styled house with a big center area that is seperated with bridges from the rest. Well, NV isn't completely right: There are four storage houses, each holding a node and on each of them is a Manta, the only vehicle in this map. The interior features some high-poly meshes (between 3000 and 5000 polygons), but I did my best to optimize the performance in the conversion by adding many ZonePortals and adding custom collision for those meshes.

Comments:
    I really like the Egyptian setting, especially in combination with this music theme that is pretty rare in ONS.

Known issues:
    -The center node line is too vulnerable. The center can be shot directly from some storage houses and from the roof of the center can you (with some good aiming) shoot directly on the enemy's prime node in the house.
    -I added ladders at some places, especially at the back of the houses to create an alternative route for attacking and defending. But bots don't work well with the ladders, they would get stuck and build queues there without doing anything else, so I removed the botpathing for ladders and made them "humans only". But bots are able to jump out of the window, so I guess it's fine.
    -The clockhands at the center have some issues with their rotation, but I didn't want to fix them in the current version anymore. They are ClientMovers, so you won't have any performance impact in network games.
    In fact they show the time that has passed since you joined the game (speeded up by factor 10).

Screenshot:

More screenshots in higher resolution:
    Slideshow

Linksetups:

Credits: The original was created by John "RedPill" Macdonald, but the readme said he never got to really finish it and offers it to everyone to modify it in any way he or she wants. So I chose to turn it into ONS.
    If someone feels like he wants to finish the CTF-version, then feel free to use this heavily performance optimized version as a base.

Download: Link (7.51 MB, 7zip)

woot! Great map! Great design! Thanks!

Comment

I lowered the AmbientBrightness in compare to the original, btw. You see it if you compare the screenshots. The old one was around 60, giving the meshes a really bad look. The new one is darker, so I also changed the clocks to something about 6 o'clock.

I think brightness contrasts are an essential thing and this map looks really nice with it's contrast. I love maps with horizontal sunlights.

Comment

Node setup screenshot please?
        About bots and ladders: if you can shieldjump up there, bots will be more than willing to do that once you set up a JumpSpot and set it to ShieldJump in the properties.
        Also, the water in the last screenshot looks really bad. I think that texture was supposed to be masked and never used simply like that.

Comment

Nodesetup goes like this:
          Code:
               |
             2-C-3
             \ | /
             / | \
             5-C-7
               |
          C is connected to 1, 2 and 3 (and the other C to 5, 6 and 7).
          4 is connected to 1 and 6.
          2 with 7.
          3 with 5.

At least in the default setup. There is an alternative one:
          2 and 3 and 5 and 7 are all connected with 4.
          2 and 3 are connected with 1.
          5 and 7 are connected with 6.
          So 1 and 6 are choke nodes at the core too.

For the water: It's reflecting it's environment completely (ok, not the real environment, but it's close to that), so it looks much better in movement and an angle at the floor.

And no, the ladders are needed to get to that floor, no chance for shieldjumping.

Comment

No no no, I'm not buying ASCII node setups. Take an actual screenshot of both - they say a lot more about everything.

Comment

Too lazy to take a look yourself, eh?

Well, updated the first post with a new version (noticed some small texture and geometry bugs) and more screenshots.

Comment

Hey there,

Took a look at the map, didnt spot any bug. The first thing i noticed, is that some areas are rather dark, but since it's about 6 o'clock i believe its fine ^^

Another (small) thing i noticed, is that the fuilds near the entrance of the base are bigger than the pool itself, this means you have some unseen fluid polygons.
                Nothing serious, but since the performance isnt excellent you could resize them, unless there's a special reason for it of course

Comment

Ah, I see... That node layout overall isn't very nice for Onslaught, since the middle node is the easiest way to victory at all times. The default setup is not interesting at all, since you might as well not use points 2 and 3 at all - node 1 is too unstable to have any use of those nodes. Second setup is better, but very chokepointy and nobody will ever win. If this was UT3, I'd do it two paths: R-7-5-B and R-6-4-B, then leave 1, 2, 3 as standalone. But since it's UT2004, I'd make it three way: two paths as described earlier, and the last one R-2-1-3-B. That will guarantee a lot more interesting gameplay; for an extra challenge, you could also keep the X in the middle so people could cut off paths.

Comment

Ehm, Emerald… your idea is exactly what I used for Default setup. I don't see your point.

The only difference is, that I don't connect the side nodes in a straight line but as an X. That focus the match more around the center, as you need to go diagonal to get it, or hold at least your other prime node, making it more important.

Keep in mind that the map is for 24-32 players.

Comment

Yes, and that difference is quite a big one. It creates a (hated) chokepoint and unnecessary strain on the central part of the map.

Comment

It's not a choke, since only 2 and 3 are connected with 1, letting there still 2 other ways to the enemy core that you can use for attacking. And you don't think that the enemy will still keep all his players on the "choke" point if other nodes are vulnerable.

Play the map if you don't believe that the setting is good, but don't judge it without having seen it.

Comment

Oh, I see now, it looks as if the side nodes are connected to the centre node, but it's not the case. Then yes, that setup is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
                            Nodesetup goes like this:
                            Code:
                                 |
                               2-C-3
                               \ | /
                               / | \
                               5-C-7
                                 |
                            C is connected to 1, 2 and 3 (and the other C to 5, 6 and 7).
                            4 is connected to 1 and 6.
                            2 with 7.
                            3 with 5.

At least in the default setup. There is an alternative one:
                            2 and 3 and 5 and 7 are all connected with 4.
                            2 and 3 are connected with 1.
                            5 and 7 are connected with 6.
                            So 1 and 6 are choke nodes at the core too.
                            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            No no no, I'm not buying ASCII node setups. Take an actual screenshot of both - they say a lot more about everything.
                            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            Oh, I see now, it looks as if the side nodes are connected to the centre node, but it's not the case. Then yes, that setup is perfectly fine.

Comment

What I mean by that they tell more was about the distance and the position of the nodes which are being set up as well as the terrain/passability there. You can't tell those things by ASCII.

Comment

Working...
                              X