Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate ONS Tools (a touch of Kismet for mappers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It simply treats the Projectiles the same way it would treat players, in every aspect.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What's with one way teleporters? Will it also teleport the projectiles through just one side or didn't you test it yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    A Teleporter that is also able to teleport Projectiles (no traces, of course). You can shoot rockets before you enter a Teleporter to clear the way on the other side (or to give away your position ) or hunt an enemy with a rocket through the Teleporter. Or be mean and throw Spider Mines through it to let them do the dirty work on the other side. The level designer can set up which Projectile classes are allowed.
    Welcome to Unreal II/XMP! That was possible there from the get go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, the Jumppad is done… well, what should I say? I almost laughed my *** off.

Probably need to do something about the Rotation of the projectile. But it's really cute if you see them drop that way.

The only real problem is the Shock Core: after I set it's PHYS to "Falling", it doesn't disappear anymore when it hits the ground. It just stays there until it hits another Projectile or enemy. Maybe I should limit either it's lifetime or leave the PHYS_Projectile intact.

It would probably also good to write a Mutator that replaces the Jumppads and Teleporters in a map with my automatically, but I have never made a Mutator until now. :>

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another small thing, got inspired by Quake 4 for this one:

A Teleporter that is also able to teleport Projectiles (no traces, of course). You can shoot rockets before you enter a Teleporter to clear the way on the other side (or to give away your position ) or hunt an enemy with a rocket through the Teleporter. Or be mean and throw Spider Mines through it to let them do the dirty work on the other side. The level designer can set up which Projectile classes are allowed.

The projectiles of the Flak are causing the same tearing like when using WarpZones, though, simply because they are probably coded that way to create this tail of light between two locations on the next updates of the game loop. And the Projectiles are always coming out at the center of the other Teleporter, no matter where you hit the first Teleporter. That is in order to prevent them getting spawned in walls.

Next thing on the list is a JumpPad that also applies the "jump" to Projectiles hitting it.
    (Also inspired by Quake 4, where it worked with grenades. Nothing special but maybe a nice effect on some maps)

I also found time to list the TeamSpecificActors in the Wiki. On Nova's page because they belong to him.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CTF-Unearthed (also DM-Unearthed) have changing day/night lighting.
    Flat, or overcast-looking, but I wouldn't call it ugly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are some pseudo day-night effects in the DynamicWeather (sounds that are only enabled at one time of the day, fading distance fog color between two values), but you really shouldn't change the light itself because everything that is not prerendered wont cast any shadows and looks extremely ugly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow! This is awesome!
    I suggest we test this Downtown version with these tools on the next Community Tournament (if there is going to be a third one)

PS: Is there any possibility to make a dynamic sunlight actor which looks good on the terrain (e.g. with shadows)? I always wanted to make or play an outdoor map where a day and night cyclus exists. This would be a cool feature for ONS maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Phew, it's been a long time since I posted here.

Progress is still made and I think I'm going to release it soon, just need to make one more Actor and then test the whole stuff for online compatibility (though ONS-Downtown and VCTF-WindCombat already helped me to figure out the major flaws and let me fix them).

What has been done since my last post?

-UltimateDestroyableEnvironment works flawless now. I got rid of some stuff in it though, since that can be better handled by letting it trigger external Actors, for instance Emitters.

-Recreated the CullDistanceVolume from UT3. This thing helps the mapper to increase the performance in his map with just a few clicks. Here you can read how it works. Mine does essentially the same at level startup and I couldn't even notice any increase in loading time.
    I used it on ONS-Downtown and benchmarked it with Fraps while racing two rounds around the map in a Manta. These are the results:

Without CullDistanceVolume:
    Frames - 871
    Time(ms) - 34353
    Min FPS - 7
    Max FPS - 103
    Average - 25354

With CulldistanceVolume:
    Frames - 15241
    Time(ms) - 240966
    Min FPS - 13
    Max FPS - 159
    Average - 63250

The best is, that the visual difference is barely noticeable unless you really want to pay attention to it.

-DynamicWaterVolume and DynamicPhysicsVolume. Can be moved. Nothing special here.

-BlockingVolumeToggleable. Can be turned on or off by using a Volume(Un)Trigger, which is also new.

-Performance improvements on the NetworkImportanceVolume and NetworkLinkedClientVolume. Thanks to _N_ for pointing it out and testing it thoroughly in online play.

-PIEPlayerStart. A simple utility that helps mappers a bit. When placed in a map, it will do it's best to make all other PlayerStarts as unattractive as possible (and hacks the CloseActors arrays of PowerNodes in ONS) so that the player will definitely spawn at this PlayerStart.
    Extremely useful if you need to test out some properties on an Actor that are only visible ingame and you don't want to run to the testing place every time after the map starts. Just make sure to remove it afterwards again. And hey, it doesn't require paths to rebuild.

-Converted LinksetupEventGate and PlayerCountEventGate to ScriptedActions since they are somewhat more useful in a ScriptedTrigger.
    Also added a If_Instigator_Team-Action, which only proceeds to the next sequence if the instigator is on a specific team. Helpful to set up the bots in Downtown and tell them to use the nuclear weapons on the enemy barricade, for example.

-ShadowProjectorPlaceable. A fixed version of the original one, which was everything but placeable (although it had all properties exposed). This will create a fancy and crispy shadow on the Actor assigned to it. Useful on dynamic stuff, for example Movers or UltimateDestroyableEnvironment.

-HealVolume. Heals a specific Pawn-class and can be toggled on or off.

-LevelLoadedTrigger. Can fire up an Event when the level starts and when it's reset. Like the Kismet SeqAction.

-MegaShieldPack. Shield that gives you 150 HP. It's green.

-UDamageProlonged. A UDamage that lasts 45 seconds. It's grey.

-SuperShockWeaponBase. Holds an InstaGib Rifle by default, so mappers don't need to mess with properties to achieve the same.

-All stuff from DynamicWeather included. Maybe I will add an AmbientSound that is only active if weather effects are enabled in properties, if I find out how.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Argh, somehow it doesn't work anymore. Though I didn't really change anything related to that in the code. And I tried to restore all to the status that it had when it worked, but somehow it still doesn't want.

[SHOT]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2552/shot00155p.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5703/shot00156.jpg[/SHOT]

As you can see, the location of the mesh and the mesh itself and it's collision and so on change, but it still draws the old mesh at it's old location (with texture issues in this case) and not the new one.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, and if set the DrawType to DT_None right when the new mesh has been assigned and try to change it back 1 second later in a Timer, then only the old part disappears but the new one stays invisible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea I remember that I've seen something like that as well. It was a set of ONS maps remade and you could destroy the bases. You could also make your own destructible maps with this mod but the effects looked... odd. You could see how the static meshes were set to make a whole building, castle, bunker etc etc. You could see square holes

About the pushable option: This could be quite useful for treasure chests in style of Unreal 1. You could shoot them, push them around and finally destroy them. Or it can be used to make breakable dishes for example.

One thing that I don't like yet is that it "swallows" projectiles like all damageable objects do. That means you won't get any ricochets or even decals and smoke effects if you hit it with the Flak or Minigun.
    Hm.. Can't you just set it to accept projectors? You'd at least see the decals, wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One thing that I don't like yet is that it "swallows" projectiles like all damageable objects do. That means you won't get any ricochets or even decals and smoke effects if you hit it with the Flak or Minigun.

I wonder if there is a way to damage the actor while still behaving like a wall.

Maybe I will also add an editinline feature for Emitter effects like in the usual class, which basically allows you to set up the effects directly in the actor without creating a new class.
    However, I am not familiar with the Emitter system myself, so I don't know if an editinline Emitter will immediately start to spawn things or if it's "triggerable" like the actor versions.

You also don't need to put too much effort into it, at least if UT have some decent retail effects for stone chunks that fly out of a wall when you hit it with a rocket and such stuff. And you also don't need to create a completely new model for the destroyed mesh, it might be enough to just add some cracks to the texture and apply that to a new mesh.
    The KActor stuff is just an optional feature for those who would really like to create something like the UDK destructible environment - if they have the patience to tweak the settings until it looks good.

You could probably also put multiple of these actors together to form one big StaticMesh that reacts at the proper locations to it's destruction… but as I said, that's only a feature for people who have too much time or who really want to be perfectionists with their map.

Setting up a ramp and barricade like in UT3 shouldn't be too hard. You can even combine all the StaticMeshes to one and use only one actor to make sure that they get all destroyed at once when being hit by a deemer explosion.

There is also an option bPushable that came with the Decoration class and I built this functionality also into this actor, but I didn't test it and am not sure if it works properly, besides that you probably don't want concrete walls to be pushed around.

I don't believe that this idea is all new in general, btw. I think I saw some destructible walls in some UT2k3 mod already… was one with bases, maybe something with PowerCores.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow! That would be exactly the thing I have been searching for sooooo long now
    But looks like a lot of work to make the destruction process look realistic. :/

(Btw can be useful in Downtown )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, this is another thing I was working on, not tested online yet but works fine offline:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:Cr...bleEnvironment

Could need some feedback on that one, I have somehow the feeling that there should be some more properties, but I have no clue which. :/

I also think that this VelocityDamage stuff doesn't need to be there, at least in it's current form because that would mean that a slow Levi couldn't destroy a wall when driving against it but a Manta could maybe.

Another property I am not sure about is the bFinalDestruction… don't know why. I could get rid of it if I made it in a way that it's automatically the final destruction if there is no StaticMesh specified for that LOD. Then you would need to set the Mesh also if you actually don't want to change it in that LOD.
    Otherwise you could leave the StaticMesh field blank in order to keep that Mesh and just spawn some effects in between…

However, you can use any StaticMesh for that actor and if you're good in 3D modeling then you can create some wrecked versions of that mesh and get a nice step-by-step destroyable object that way.
    And things like the UT3 barricades don't even use multiple models, they are either there or gone.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, I still can't get it to work. :/

I give up on this. If someone wants to take a look: This zip folder contains the four source files grouped out from the main project and a version of BR-Skyline that is already set up to match the radar requirements. You just need to compile the scripts in this package and place the actor (subclass of Info) in the map, in case you want to test it if you go for fixing that problem.

Any help is appreciated because I wanted to implement the RadarMap panel with the ability to show the location of your teammates on it, to make the whole thing even more useful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X