DM-Shrapnel][ New Screens Added Alpha testers needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Shrapnel][ New Screens Added Alpha testers needed

DM-Shrapnel][ just got a facelift. Why don't you graffetti it with Flak shards & bullet holes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you remember i started DM-Shrapnel][ a few weeks ago. I deceided to scrap it and start again, so what you see here are screens from a brand spankin' new map.

As you can see its looking much better from my last attempt!LoL.

Please leave your comments and feedback.

MsM:up:

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQCvBC4XO3*eGSDd0!gb5yrUaydSgIAJIu4Nlbz8fH9zZ0utZ AoDSiFD6KczkTE2cYRvhmXPiohTyHhsdoGcdhyvJmjuP*ozYuJ y!tTQENoA5uZpNJuIsg/Shot000020.jpg?dc=4675425549583995779[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQCvBC8Xfn*eGSDd0!gb5!V1mmh1UvJ6wB7cshIKshE!I5iE3 44CD*vMnPQBRhefCFjTij6xjBZBqTwHxbpTL6SmFpjOmis186y hmK0kZNW*Gb45iRmuSA/Shot000030.jpg?dc=4675425549588270067[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQAAADAXwX*eGSDd0!gb56wkyGLy1HbMqffDOF5*DcAtYh8tt AigLRJXjnX5fijOJ6n7rEBwOGi0sSn6l0zIS9EFhSJUonqRSyp Fom*mRMG0LEFha7BB7g/Shot000040.jpg?dc=4675425549593163148[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQC0BDEXBIDeGSDd0!gb5!jtNyxW!rPl*nnIQ9VxNidy3LQSh uK*RDU!aCMB99bHFG0oN66WYctbB9J7pydYUEv6gAhoGxT5R!0 JXe3FcZiro6Ok9anymw/Shot000050.jpg?dc=4675425549597664910[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQC0BDIXR4DeGSDd0!gb57p8IDowdX9YYx8R9l23hWfO4OY0H tZJcyatUdy4q2vRIQC4YR0VJox3g**yzhtMru6OsoeyJNmCU9c JFpYoGULvefDD8gPwrg/Shot000060.jpg?dc=4675425549601589238[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQC0BDMXioDeGSDd0!gb5*wa7wG0usRW7TcY1k*PoaHw*dWZp yVFKQTsWsDHpypTaC6tzh7pioUYLPlp5maGeWcElp1VVfMzIBI LCEMIUDENWQvcx3QXig/Shot000070.jpg?dc=4675425549605618554[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQCvBDQXzYDeGSDd0!gb5zNga1HDOMa5LY74JEGR9XJbtIELm 5GJkQIVr22uwRM1TsMwzbB3DKsLVC*oJYH3yF*ERiciy7Oha9N S!rl2KwNCbG40OD445A/Shot000080.jpg?dc=4675425549609744904[/screenshot]

Comment

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQCvBC4XO3*eGSDd0!gb5yrUaydSgIAJIu4Nlbz8fH9zZ0utZ AoDSiFD6KczkTE2cYRvhmXPiohTyHhsdoGcdhyvJmjuP*ozYuJ y!tTQENoA5uZpNJuIsg/Shot000020.jpg[/IMG]

the platform with the amp to the other platform REALLY shouldnt be that close. if its gonna be jumpable gap then it should at least be a big dodge-jump distance.

Comment

i noticed the "door frames" dont really have anything on em, looks too bare. Im not saying add MORE static meshes but this level looks bare, but you only started last week? well then keep working on it and then post it again and i'll help you out more then. :up: keep it up buddy dont stop mappin

Comment

I'm with CTFX on this one.

-You really need doortrims instead of just the carved out hole.

-Still alot of flat surfaces that can use some breaking up (indents, pillars, beams)

-Those tiles lie too unnaturally there. If those tiles came loose, nobody would lie them besides the holes so nicely. Maybe you can put those tiles in the hole but half int he hole and half out a bit slanted.

-Lighting needs some shadows, it's like all is evenly lit and that is quite boring.

Comment

Guyver3

Yeah good point. I did try to move the platform over, but it just bugged up the layout of things. But yeah it should be double jump gap, i'ii try and see what i can do. Hey, are you the girl from wwwplanetavp.com?

CTFX1

The door frames have no door frames.LoL. Yeah i agree does look bare in some places, i'm jsut looking to find the right statics to put in various places. As for the door frames, got any suggestions?
            Don't stop mapping, i think your the 2nd person to say that. Well at least people aren't saying stop mapping!

GIdenJoe

Will look into door frames. Like i said, i still need to put a few more things in, but i'm just looking for the right stuff. The tiles i'ii move and vary the placement of them, so there all not the same. Lighting, hmmmmmmmm, more colours?Or just make it darker?

Thx's people. Thats nice feedback. I'd be grateful if you people would also post a comment or two in my DM-Grinder 2 thread.

Thx's keep it coming

Comment

Just making it darker will not help, coz from a white lighting, you'll get a grey lighting which is equally boring.

Big yellows and blues, and maybe some very small red lights (radius 4 )

And yes your lights need a smaller radius there is contrast missing. Use different lightsources for one lamp. Close to lamp high brightness, very low radius, further from lamp lower brightness but higher radius. For the lights hanging from the ceiling, I can recomment the use of an extra spotlight actor a midway between the light and the floor pointing straight down, causing a nice circle of light. And make those lightbeams less bright coz they look not like lightbeams right now

Comment

Hey, are you the girl from wwwplanetavp.com?
                ROFL!

err no

i'm [DOA]Guyver1, a 29yrs old bloke from South Wales, UK

sorry to dissapoint you

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver3
                  ROFL!

err no

i'm [DOA]Guyver1, a 29yrs old bloke from South Wales, UK

sorry to dissapoint you
                  Hehehehehehe:haha:

I visit www.planetavp.com and theres a staff member on there call Guyver. O well, i'm 19yrs bloke from staffordshire uk not far from you.

O well i gues better luck next time on girls Lol. (Don't no one tell my girlfriend)

Comment

Yournan,

I'm giving this advice as a friend and not a flame at all.

I think you need to slow down and move away from the texture sets you've been using.

dom-cinder, dm-grinder, and this one dm-shrapnel][ all look like the same map to me because they are all using the same textures and the way the architecture (not the flow) just the way things are put together, they really look like the same map.

Think about taking some time to reasearch the available retail texture sets for other textures that might work well. It may take some time, but I think it would be worth doing. If you don't find what you need then look on the Internet for "other" textures that would work.

Or better yet, if you have some photoshop skills, try combining some of the retail textures for a new look.

Same thing with the meshes. I think you said you didn't have 3d app skills, so maybe instead of using the meshes in the same way as you did in your past maps, maybe create new looks by combining the retail meshes (by placement) and make some industrial looking things that aren't just placing the retails like dominoes. Take one of those tank things, Brace it with girders, then have a couple of well place pipes coming from it, maybe a wire mesh... I dunno, but I think if you slow down and take more time, you'll come up with some really unique stuff.

Also, take the advice that GIdenJoe and CTFX1 noted up there. That will make a world of difference in the atmosphere of your map.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie
                      Yournan,

I'm giving this advice as a friend and not a flame at all.

I think you need to slow down and move away from the texture sets you've been using.

dom-cinder, dm-grinder, and this one dm-shrapnel][ all look like the same map to me because they are all using the same textures and the way the architecture (not the flow) just the way things are put together, they really look like the same map.

Think about taking some time to reasearch the available retail texture sets for other textures that might work well. It may take some time, but I think it would be worth doing. If you don't find what you need then look on the Internet for "other" textures that would work.

Or better yet, if you have some photoshop skills, try combining some of the retail textures for a new look.

Same thing with the meshes. I think you said you didn't have 3d app skills, so maybe instead of using the meshes in the same way as you did in your past maps, maybe create new looks by combining the retail meshes (by placement) and make some industrial looking things that aren't just placing the retails like dominoes. Take one of those tank things, Brace it with girders, then have a couple of well place pipes coming from it, maybe a wire mesh... I dunno, but I think if you slow down and take more time, you'll come up with some really unique stuff.

Also, take the advice that GIdenJoe and CTFX1 noted up there. That will make a world of difference in the atmosphere of your map.
                      No offense taken Teddie, this is what i call decent feedback and comments!

Agreed DOM-Cinder 2, DM-Grinder do look the same, as for DM-Shrapnel][, well same style but different textures, but i get what you mean through.

I have been meaning to check all the retail texture packages. But as you said they look the same because i always use the same textures and same meshes, basically its a new map layout and with a few different textures( sheesh i'm flaming on myself LoL)

No i don't have mesh skills, but my bro is very handy at Photoshop. Your combination of meshes you suggested sounds good, i'ii try it and see what the out come is, but yes again i understand where your coming from. To be honest Ted, its your help i got to this "level". When i say that i mean i opened DM-Deck17 in the editor and just took a walk around, taking notes on things you had done e.g slanted ceilings, placements. And jsut the general way of Deck17 was created. So without you knowing you helped me, thank-you Ted.
                      Well its been a week of work, i've still got a lot to do on it yet Ted. Thx's for the advice, its been helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Yournan2000
                        No offense taken Teddie, this is what i call decent feedback and comments!

Agreed DOM-Cinder 2, DM-Grinder do look the same, as for DM-Shrapnel][, well same style but different textures, but i get what you mean through.

I have been meaning to check all the retail texture packages. But as you said they look the same because i always use the same textures and same meshes, basically its a new map layout and with a few different textures( sheesh i'm flaming on myself LoL)

No i don't have mesh skills, but my bro is very handy at Photoshop. Your combination of meshes you suggested sounds good, i'ii try it and see what the out come is, but yes again i understand where your coming from. To be honest Ted, its your help i got to this "level". When i say that i mean i opened DM-Deck17 in the editor and just took a walk around, taking notes on things you had done e.g slanted ceilings, placements. And jsut the general way of Deck17 was created. So without you knowing you helped me, thank-you Ted.
                        Well its been a week of work, i've still got a lot to do on it yet Ted. Thx's for the advice, its been helpful

Thanks Yournan, but another word of advice;
                        don't use my Deck17 as a basis for you learning the editor and other aspects of optimizing.

Deck17 was one of the first maps I did. If I looked at it now in the editor, I guarantee that I'll say to myself "WTF was I thinking when I did this or this or that or this..." etc.

I was still very green when I was putting that level together and one of the reasons I cringe when my wife votes for that map on our lan is because I know how much **** I really didn't know when building it, and when I play it, I have to look at all the stuff I wish I had done differently.

There are better maps to learn from. Deck17 is a n00b map for sure. If I do a revision of that map, there will be many optimization changes, etc. that I would do.

I've told people before, I hate Deck17 and I actually play Creepy D's Deck16 much more than I ever play Deck17.

I may have just put myself down in the weirdest way just now, but I'm trying to point you in a better direction.

Comment

i think the reason a person would say "dont stop mapping" is that we see your potential as a good mapper, you just need to do practice, one doesnt just spawn godlike maps on the first try it takes time. Thats why i said that. I think you could be a godlike mapper in time. as for me i really need to get my *** in gear and focus on the editor.

Comment

MsM I see your getting more feed back on this one, good.Bro, please don't take this the wrong way but I have to agree with Teddie.You my friend are in a texture rut. Almost like writerblock but for visual artists. I see that from the pic that my fav rust colored ceiling is back .The archictexture (actual build) looks close to the orig but like I always say need to hop around in it to be sure.

When I hear the word "Shrapnel" I think METAL lots of metal big "shiny" sharp hunks and chunks of HEAVY friggin METAL.Steel, IRON, Copper, Chrome. do you see where I'm going here,not concrete, rust(don't want tetnous now do we)and diamondplate.

These are just my thoughts and they are always meant to be constructive not destructive IMO you showing great progress but your having what Picasso call a "Period" he had blue, pink, cubist and the dreaded harliquin period. MsM, you seem to be having your cinderblock&rust period

Grinder2 isn't up yet bro any other mirrors yet??I really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by CTFX1
                              i think the reason a person would say "dont stop mapping" is that we see your potential as a good mapper, you just need to do practice, one doesnt just spawn godlike maps on the first try it takes time. Thats why i said that. I think you could be a godlike mapper in time. as for me i really need to get my *** in gear and focus on the editor.
                              Very well said CTFX1 agreed on all accounts

Comment

Working...
                              X