Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-1on1-Virginia

DM-1on1-Virginia
    This is my third map which best plays with 2-4 players and no default mutators.

i had inspiration off the map off 3D Buzz's videos but i never got to see how they actually made the map.

the File size is 7.26 MB and i don't think it contains any custom content.

http://files.filefront.com/VirginiaF.../fileinfo.html

Quote:
    ReadMe for Dm-1on1-Virginia for Unreal Tournament 2k4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Title: DM-1on1-Virginia
    Filename's: Dm-1on1-Virginia
    Author: Sam Kitt
    Email Address: Samk105@yahoo.co.uk
    Website URL: none yet
    Release Date: 10/06/09
    Last Update: 10/06/09
    Version: 1.

Credits:
    Thanks to:

================================================== ==================================
    Play Information
    ----------------

Game: Unreal Tournament 2k4
    Level Name: DM-1on1-Virginia
    Game Type: Deathmatch, etc....
    Botmatch: Yes
    Single Player: No
    New Static Meshes:No
    New Textures: No
    New Sounds: No
    New Music: No
    New Mutators: No
    Mods: No

================================================== ==================================
    Construction
    ------------
    Started: May 22
    Base: None
    Build Time: from May 22----> June 6
    Ideal Playercount: 1-4 Players
    Editor(s) Used: Unreal Editor

Installation
    ------------
    Unzip the Folders straight into the Unreal Tournament 2004 folder

Or

Move the:
    .UT2 Files(Map File)-----> Map Folder

Extended Description
    --------------------
    A Virgin Arena, Clean, Pure and innocent. Bricks made of stone and floors made of Concrete.
    Nothing more nothing less, has every thing to give, and would like everything to be received,
    but This ***** Has ‘Lost’ their Hymen.

Author's Notes
    ------------

Contact me with any questions:

But make the subject of the Email 'Mapping'.

Copyright / Permissions
    -----------------------
    Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit
    permission from the Original Author.

ANY bug fixes, fixes, changes and tweaks will happen by me and me only. No person, (server/site/league) admin, 3rd party mapper or player is allowed to bring out a modified version of this map.

Authors MAY NOT use the static meshes/prefabs/textures from this map without explicit
    permission.

You MAY NOT charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic media (internet (web/ftp),
    FIDO, local BBS), provided you include this file.
    You Must Contact me to do so firstly, then wait for my reply.

UNREAL (c)1998 Epic Megagames, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Distributed by GT
    Interactive Software, Inc. under license. UNREAL and the UNREAL logo are registered
    trademarks of Epic Megagames, Inc.

UNREAL TOURNAMENT (c)1999 Epic Megagames, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Distributed by
    GT Interactive Software, Inc. under license. UNREAL TOURNAMENT and the UNREAL
    TOURNAMENT logo are registered trademarks of Epic, Inc.

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003 (c)2002 Epic Megagames, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Distributed by
    Atari, Inc. under license. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003 and the UNREAL
    TOURNAMENT 2003 logo are registered trademarks of Epic, Inc.

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 (c)2004 Epic Megagames, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Distributed by
    Atari, Inc. under license. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 and the UNREAL
    TOURNAMENT 2004 logo are registered trademarks of Epic, Inc.

All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

this is what playing the Unreal series does to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA

Link doesn't work. The forums truncated the link before you finished making your post.

Comment

**** hang on
      What does truncated mean?

Comment

shortened, cut off. Also the file is DM-1on1-Virginia.zipx? No wonder it hasn't been downloaded.

Comment

yes i noticed that
          its somthing to do with the new winZip or somthing?

i'll try again

Comment

here is the new link

(apparently .Zipx has a better compression rate

Comment

Here goes:

[-] Extremely laggy rendering once I took the lift up. The frame rate drops to about 30 fps sometimes. It's probably tricky to zone off vertically in the center hall, but experiment with that. In comparison, ONS-Torlan plays around 85+ fps on my system, and had no rendering lags.

[-] The zoning is only vertical. You should try zoning horizontally (between floors) in the smaller corridors as well. Use the zone view (Alt+2) and you'll see the outer areas are just one big chunk of a zone.

[-] Can use more zoning in the outer-most areas as well.

[-] The lift in the center does not have karma collision, nor does it have a collision model. (You'll fall through it when you die, and you may risk getting stuck in it/falling through it during combat.)

[-] Zones, but no ZoneInfo actors (yet).

[+] Detailed. Looks busy. Good.

[+] No collision on trivial decorations (plants). Good.

[+/-] I would have turned projectile collision on for the lamps in the corridors. That is, they still shouldn't stop player movement.

[+/-] I'm not sure about the gravity change at the top level.

[-] No sound (yet) on jumppads or doors.

Comment

thanks for the feedback

I'm not sure about the gravity change at the top level.
                that is to stop Lift jumping out of the level and a blocking Volume is to strong

The lift in the center does not have karma collision, nor does it have a collision model. (You'll fall through it when you die, and you may risk getting stuck in it/falling through it during combat.)
                i did not use maya for this i made it out of a stock SM and turned it into a brush removed some parts and then finished it. i do not know how to add a karma collision to the staticmesh

edit ;

Done the karma now
                Done the Door Sounds

does anybody know which package the Jumpad sound is?
                i can not do horizontal Zones as the area is convect so i have used lots of Simple Antiportals

Comment

Originally posted by TurdDrive View Post
                  thanks for the feedback

that is to stop Lift jumping out of the level and a blocking Volume is to strong
                  np

ah Well, I assumed it was possible to get there, though somewhat difficult (lift jump + full shield charge/impact jumping, maybe).

does anybody know which package the Jumpad sound is?
                  It's in wm_sounds.

i can not do horizontal Zones as the area is convect but should i do heavy fog instead?
                  Maybe, but the bots don't care about fog distance. I'm sure you can use larger zone portal sheets, but I've read that the official maps aren't the best learning source on how to do things right. For instance, zone portal sheets don't have to hit the geometry, only cover it, so you could have a sheet going outside the map, and maybe three rectangular sheets per center level would do).

Anyway, in the smaller corridors there are rectangular places you can look down to the floor below. Those areas could/should be covered with zone portal sheets, as well as the lift area.

Also, some broken bot paths at the lower level.

I also noticed you use a normal path node for the utjumppad destination. I'm sure you have to use a JumpSpot. Haven't seen the bot using the jumppad though.

I'm not sure bots can understand using the lifts by proxmity to a utjumppad node, since there are no path connections to it. Maybe look at using a door actor for that.

Comment

It's in wm_sounds.
                    done that now

Maybe, but the bots don't care about fog distance. I'm sure you can use larger zone portal sheets, but I've read that the official maps aren't the best learning source on how to do things right. For instance, zone portal sheets don't have to hit the geometry, only cover it, so you could have a sheet going outside the map, and maybe three rectangular sheets per center level would do).
                    i have used an 6 antiportal sheets on each floor level so i have 24 (eight for the above one)

I also noticed you use a normal path node for the utjumppad destination. I'm sure you have to use a JumpSpot. Haven't seen the bot using the jumppad though.
                    no you dont need one . take a look at AS-Thrust

I'm not sure bots can understand using the lifts by proxmity to a utjumppad node, since there are no path connections to it. Maybe look at using a door actor for that.
                    rejecht is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
                    there is no need for a door actor since the lift moves up quick enough for me to set 'bpathcolliding to false.

sorry i just noticed that the higher doors have this set to true so the bots dont use it. my bad

Comment

i have also scaled the map by 1.25

Comment

here is the new version and the new link

Comment

Ok, here are my observations.

First off, the map is 78 mb unzipped. That's incredibly large for a 1-on-1 map. That's as large as DM-serinissima, a large map full of custom content, which also happens to be the largest map file I have. So why does such a small map have such a huge file size?

I was expecting to see uncompressed or oversized textures, but I found the problem: You've got most of your lightmaps set to 1.0. That drastically increases the file size. Light maps shouldn't be set to less than 4.0 except under special circumstances.

Just selecting all surfaces and setting them to 8 was enough to reduce the map's size by half, without noticeably reducing shadow sharpness. And even then, many surfaces could have been set to higher values. I'm sure you could easily get the file size down to 20mb or so, but that's your job to optimize

Also, you do have a ton of textures stored in your level, and to be honest, some of them look a little odd, in particular Conbright and ConDec1w2Bn1. They look blurry for some reason, like I can't focus my eyes.

Otherwise, the map looks fairly nice. I'll have to try playing it later.

EDIT: I have to echo what has been said about optimizing the framerate. I had framerate dips down to 20 fps in the center area with bots. Which is weird for me, since i get 100 fps + normally on maps. There are also places where it is difficult to move around, like the the honeycombed wall with an opening. Also there are places where bots keep trying to make jumps and fail.

Comment

ok i shall optimise the map some more

+
                            the texures are all from DM-1on1-Desolation Mylevel
                            so there all stock

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                              Ok, here are my observations.

r.

EDIT: I have to echo what has been said about optimizing the framerate. I had framerate dips down to 20 fps in the center area with bots. Which is weird for me, since i get 100 fps + normally on maps. There are also places where it is difficult to move around, like the the honeycombed wall with an opening. Also there are places where bots keep trying to make jumps and fail.
                              yes i have noticed that the bots fail a lot in the jump zones and im a currently trying to fix this.

the map size is done to 28 MB now (i think)

Comment

Working...
                              X