• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-PerfectDarkTemple [FINAL] [DL]

1. Name:
    GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark Temple

2. Version:
    1.0 Final (See release thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/702253)

Spoiler

Perfect Dark and Golden Eye are two of the best games in the history of the first person shooter (personaly, i prefer Perfec Dark ). great map an good work. any plans to do other map reamkes from this games?

Comment

Speaking about Perfect Dark, I've search the web and found a site about a mod for UT2004, Perfect Dark 2004:
      http://alpha.emulation64.com/PD2004/

Comment

Nothing ever came of the mod that I know of, besides the maps that Knuckles ported over from PD. The maps are pretty nice, using the exact N64 layout and textures. I definitely recommend you try them out. Unfortunately they feel extremely cramped with default UT movement, since they keep the same player scale as PD, which didn't have jumping or dodging.

I were going to remake another PD/GE map, it would have to be the Villa. As far as I can tell there aren't any remakes of it for UT2004, beside the port that Knuckles started on, and I think its layout would be fun in UT2004. Skedar and Grid would also translate well.

Comment

The screenshots in the PD2004 look like from Unreal Tournament GOTY instead of UT2004, to be honest... Yet this map looks great! Never played PD, but I like the egyptian theme a lot, so might as well try that one out.

Comment

Just built one section of the villa:

No guarantees on actually finishing it.

EDIT:

Around 1/4 of the layout done.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              The screenshots in the PD2004 look like from Unreal Tournament GOTY instead of UT2004, to be honest...
              this is because the maps are direct ports from original Perfect Dark from N64, with the same textures... btw, i found a bug: the bots get stuck in the main room, near the crashed maian craft...

Comment

Perhaps Elvis won't let them leave his ship? :P

Anyways, great map, and an even better WIP. X3

Comment

When I tested the map I was thinking that it might have been better if it was scaled down at most places.
                  There's a lot of open room which kinda break the idea of a map layout since there is really nowhere to go when you are in a fight.
                  I also thought that those long ways like the one you have to walk to get to the shield are boring. (for this, the map is just too undetailed)

Well, I only wanted to say that the map would be cooler if it was smaller, and if those ramps weren't that steep and long.

other than that, I enjoyed playing it

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Kontroll View Post
                    btw, i found a bug: the bots get stuck in the main room, near the crashed maian craft...
                    I've noticed this too. The terrain is a bit steep for them. I'll fix it in the next release.

Originally posted by RED-FROG View Post
                    When I tested the map I was thinking that it might have been better if it was scaled down at most places.
                    The scale is a bit on the large side, but I intended it to be large. If you're interested in seeing how a small version of this layout plays, try this one for comparison: http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...07Temple;37261

or a medium: http://files.filefront.com/DM+0+Temp.../fileinfo.html
                    I just found this version yesterday. Despite the ugly texturing, it plays pretty well, and the scale is pretty good too.

There's a lot of open room which kinda break the idea of a map layout since there is really nowhere to go when you are in a fight.
                    The original also had these huge open areas. The spaceship crash and the resulting debris, were intended to break up the largest open area a bit. You also play this map a bit differently that standard UT2k maps: If you go in guns blazing, and expect to escape at will, you're already dead. Use corners to your advantage, and know where to stage an attack. This is also how GE and PD played.

I also thought that those long ways like the one you have to walk to get to the shield are boring.
                    The super shieldpack hallway is long and plain intentionally. This is also where the body armor in GoldenEye and either the shield or most powerful weapon (depending on your weapon set) would be found in Perfect Dark. Going there is supposed to be a risky proposition, since you'll likely be ambushed.

(for this, the map is just too undetailed)

Well, I only wanted to say that the map would be cooler if it was smaller, and if those ramps weren't that steep and long.

other than that, I enjoyed playing it
                    Anyway I'm not against improving the looks or scaling it down a small amount, but I wanted to keep this map faithful in terms of layout and proportions as much as possible. I also wanted to avoid the direction the UT3 remake took by not making too many changes to the looks of the map or the theme.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Comment

More progress on the villa:

Side by side
                      [shot]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3762/villascreenshot.jpg[/shot]

Comment

I've got around 60 to 70% of the bsp done. Please note that textures are not final.

I've also been working on the temple as well. I should have a beta 2 download soon.

Comment

Erm the weapon in your hand what is that btw?

Comment

That's the laptop gun, the best weapon evar. For those who don't know, alt fire plants it as a sentry gun.

PS, could you remove the pic in the quote or use the shot tag on it? It's breaking the thread.

Comment

Looks great, maybe you can port PD weapons to UT2k4. The Temple works great in Invasion w/ RBThinktank's Venom mod!

Comment

Working...
                              X