[MAP:BR] Legacy [DONE(I hope :P)]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jigen
    I'm not too keen on this map, space usuage seems pretty inefficent. Art looks nice enough though. It flows smooth but studders horribly on my well optimized good computer (highest details on many settings 512mb RAM).

There isn't much flow at all, there is no logical path to follow to take you from the ball to the goals (I couldn't even find the blue goal, although I did explore a lot in the overworld).

If the level sprawled with tunnels and walkways it would be much more interesting too, but that is in adea for a future map... Also more transporters and passage ways to and from the underworld would be excellent.

One final note would be an original theme such as a lava pit, a forested tunnel, a mineshaft, or somesuch as the theme for the level, since all these underground levels look like 'UT2003 underground' levels (the grass, wall textures and such, but I see a bit of work was done to aid that).

Very good suggestions but do you realize how long this stuff takes? I really wish I had the time to make all of that though.

Comment

yep, indeed I do, I will say for suggestions on this perticular map is 'go smaller, work on flow (especially with BR) (smaller is good for no studdering and low end machines) (environment levels are harder to make feel original in UT2k3)'

Comment

ok, you really should have released betas, the map is nice but its lacking the fine details that could have made it a great map. The area above ground feels so empty like somethings missing, trees? signs? arrows telling you where to go would be add a very nice touch. Interesting design though.

Comment

I have not experienced any shuddering on my computer and it's really not have as good as the rest of yours.

1.4Ghz Athlon Tbird
          512MB PC133 RAM
          Geforce 3 Ti200

I'm enjoying the map; be careful not to put too much weight onto the opinions expressed by people an hour after the map's release. Sometimes it takes more than 2 botmatches before you get the flow of a map.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocky
            The area above ground feels so empty like somethings missing, trees?
            In a rocky highland? are you mad? I didnt put them for a reason :P and if this feels empty, howabout BR-Bifrost? or BR-IceFields, they are quite empty, expecially Bifrost, though the hallways do need somthing, I dont know what though.....

And who said this is a final version? Im definitely gonna do a revision

Comment

Radeon first off i'd like to say this is the BEST user created map i have played to date and i've played a lot! You said this is your first map or second map!?!?! Anyways here's some constructive criticism:

Pros
              1) WAY cool drop into the water w/ the ball i really like that
              2) the grass looks sweet i like that too, although i'm not really sure what to say about the above level but i REALLY like that idea! It just seems, well, bland in comparision with the rest of the level i dunno... maybe add a giant statue in the middle or something (but not one of those lame egytpian ones epic made, something REALLY unique right in the center..... or just have a tree with a bunch of white lights around it or something.... just to break up the view........

I am gonna tie this into another part but, i thin k the ball is still too hidden... it should be in the middle of the top part i think is where you can get it best IMO... also make it more dramtic... like have a real pretty tree or surface feauture and lighting to distinguish the area where the ball is so it kind of fits into the whole scheme of the map

Also another thing that would be SWEET in the cave or those little "lightning bugs" like i think it was tokarra forest had! Those would be sweet in the cave since it kind of fits in with the whole "dark, damp theme"

also IMO i think the tree REALLY stands out as a major part of the cave but add some soft green lighting or something to the entrance instead of normal white light... i REALLY like the atomosphere in this map though

Just some suggestions Excellent map radeon

Comment

About time you got this map done! I am DL'ing now. And I hope I can find tha ball....

Comment

I'd just close this new thread Radeon and update the title of ur 5 star one and just post our suggestons there

Comment

Download as I type. Thanks a lot for all the time and effort you have put into this map. If only other maps could make you go "God I wanna play that now !!"

Regards

Mythril - B2F

Update: Just played this map and loved it but there is defo a problem with "stuttering". My system is a P4 2.2 and a GF4 4600 + 512 DDR so it's not my system at fault.

Great map though

Comment

Oh great; another great map brought down by annoying "skipping" problems.

Ok, Radeon, search for CreepingDeath's DM-AbandonedCrypt thread and see why these stuttering problems might be happening.... it should be fixable if you care enough about this map you've been working on for 3 months or so.

I have tried two other excellent maps (AbandonedCrypt and CTF-Painbender, the re-rellease) and they were perfectly fine in the looks and performance department, but the constant skipping and pausing really makes them unplayable.
                      Therefore I won't be downloading until I hear you have fixed the problem.

Comment

Two all beef patties
                        Special sauce
                        Lettuce, Cheese
                        Pickles, Onions
                        On a sesame seed bun!
                        Do the hustle by guttermouth???

Comment

well I checked the Abandoned Crypt thread and as I knew already, it's the terrains, im not sure if you guys are aware but the file size of my map is almost 50megs, and it's due to all the terrains in my map, I think there is about 9 or so of them. I made sure I did a good job of cleaning up all the invisible polys, im sure that helped somewhat, but probably not enough. I'll see what I can do, but for now try to enjoy the map guys.

Comment

Excellent work but... fps are ok for me but the skipping makes it totally unplayable.

you really should use some staticmeshes instead of all those terrains.(It will reduce the weight "44 megs" increase fps and hopefully remove the skipping.)

Comment

Originally posted by Radeon285
                              well I checked the Abandoned Crypt thread and as I knew already, it's the terrains, im not sure if you guys are aware but the file size of my map is almost 50megs, and it's due to all the terrains in my map, I think there is about 9 or so of them. I made sure I did a good job of cleaning up all the invisible polys, im sure that helped somewhat, but probably not enough. I'll see what I can do, but for now try to enjoy the map guys.
                              Did you read how CreepingDeath was fixing the problem?
                              He said he used different height maps for his terrain.

You might want to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by DraZtiK
                                Excellent work but... fps are ok for me but the skipping makes it totally unplayable.

you really should use some staticmeshes instead of all those terrains.(It will reduce the weight "44 megs" increase fps and hopefully remove the skipping.)
                                Yes, good point, Static Meshs would really solve the problem, but making the materials for them is ludicrous, I still cant figure out how they did them in CTF-Magma, I wouldent dare trying.....

And I used different hightmaps also, the thing is the actuall SIZE of them, I think I could cut down the size of a few of them to 128x128 or even 64x64, then i'll let you know how it runs.

Also is there a final version of his map? I wanna see if his method works

Comment

Working...
                                X