My first map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first map

This is my first, real, working map for UT2K3, so dont scold me if its not that good.

Name: DM-[PROTO]Classroom-beta
    Mapping: Me
    Texturing: Me
    Everything else: Me
    Time needed: 1 day
    Map size: small
    Special Credits and thanks to: Nobody

the download link,
    click me

If its not too much I would like some feedback please.

I'm not scolding you but you need to fil in those img tags

Some screenies:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Re: My first map

Originally posted by protothesecond

Name: DM-[PROTO]Classroom-beta
      Mapping: Me
      Texturing: Me
      Everything else: Me
      Time needed: 1 day
      Map size: small
      Special Credits and thanks to: Nobody
      lol, nice credits there but really post a screenshot ok?

-edit--
      um, feedback you want feedback? how much feedback can you get if all it is is one giant cube with absolutely nothing in it and just a br ball and even still you cant even shoot it up without it reseting :weird: I think you mean it when you say its your first map, like first of all first map :bulb: look go to mastering unreal

sign up its perfectly free and go through the level editing 101 and move on from there. I dont think you should have posted this however, its far too early for you to release anything honestly. however, I'd like to welcome you to the unreal universe

Comment

What are you talking about?

(I edited in some screenies)

Comment

I know your new to mapping so........

Your map is looking very bland, theres not much going on in it, just a few tables and a black board, it looks like a classroom from the 1930's!

Sit down and think what's really in a class room, posters, paintings, pencils, paint brushes, etc etc etc.

Also try and change the lighting a bit, i know its kinda difficult because rooms like that don't have much variety in lighting, but the room should also have a window in it, all rooms which are used have windows, that way you can create more lighting effects.

Also you need some light static meshes, at the moment theres light in there, but theres no light sources, so wheres the light coming from?:weird:

for the screen shot thing try this:- [screenshot ]shot url[/screenshot ]

Don't put spaces in between the t & ] like i have, i had to that so the system doesn't think its a screenshot i'm trying to put up.

Hope my feedback helps.

MsM:up:

Comment

thank you for the feedback,
            Ill add some windows, pencils, books, lamps etc. today as this is only the BETA version.
            and thanks for the tip with the screenshots.

Comment

youre use and alignment of textures looks better than my first map... but like it was said earlier... it rather bland and undecorated. The suggestions of windows and books and posters is a good one... decorating a map is probably one of the more tedious tasks in the creation process. after you add some more things into it i think it'll be a good level.

now that you've started mapping.... you'll find it is addictive!
              good luck and keep us posted

Comment

thank you for the feedback,
                Ill add some windows, pencils, books, lamps etc. today as this is only the BETA version.
                and thanks for the tip with the screenshots.
                Not a problem , i'm glad to help out newbie mappers.

Yeah add those things, and it will look like a really classroom, at the moment it kinda looks like a classroom in a boiler room. Also i suggest changing the texture of the walls, i mean when was the last time you seen a class room wiht fresh brick walls?There all plastered and then painted.

Still for the beat you need to do those things, jsut a question for you how would you be making the objects e.g pencils, books etc?If your gonna make them purely from BSP (bad idea), i suggest you convert them to static meshes.

Also an idea i had, underneath the desks stick chewing gum and other things underneath, it would make it more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Yournan2000
                  Also an idea i had, underneath the desks stick chewing gum and other things underneath, it would make it more realistic.

lol... that would be fantastic!!!

Comment

And everything from projectiles to players get stuck to it :haha: ...

Comment

I also had the idea with chewing gum, but a non sticky version.
                      I was planing to do the pencils with Maya PLE which I just registered today, I just dont know how to save the "meshes" and use them in the unrealed.
                      Im also having some problems with the window, Ive constructed a little windo put it in the wall and added a primitive garden, then I wanted to put an invisible sheet behind it so players dont walk through, but only one side is transparent...
                      how do I fix this?

Comment

I wanted to put an invisible sheet behind it so players dont walk through, but only one side is transparent...
                        how do I fix this?
                        I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but maybe you might want to use a blocking volume?

Anyway, for the "one side is trans..." issue

Create a shader and use the transparent texture as the "base" then set the properties of the shader to double sided.

Comment

what the heck? The map I downloaded and played had absolutely nothing in it :weird:. except for the ball and the ball goals.

Comment

Working...
                          X