Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Lightning Energy Distributor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Energy Distributor

Lightning Energy Distributor

Description

The origins of the LED, also known as Lightning Energy Distributor, lie in thunderstorm research. Originally commisioned by scientists on the Alrog 9 system to explore vast plains ravaged by thunderstorms, the LED's many features have earned it a place in the tournament.

Features
    *ALERT* long list of features inbound *ALERT*
    • Energy dissipation
      The LED's massive frame is built entirely out of synthetic palladiumoxide, providing excellent strength and the ability to dissipate surplus charge back into the environment. These properties immunize the LED against the charge transmitted by energy beams such as lightning bolts, shock beams and twinbeams, and reduce damage sustained from shock cores, skymines and the LED's own weaponry.

When the LED builds up sufficient charge, it will release the energy at a nearby threat perceived by its IFF sensors.
    • Heavy armor
      The LED's only vulnerable spot is the balloon containing compartments of diatomic argonite gas. These compartments are protected by thick armor plates. Concentrated damage to a single armor plate will cause the plate to shatter and the underlying compartment to depressurize in a shower of sparks and fragments. Such loss of armor exposes the balloon's vulnerable core.

Sustained structural damage to the balloon will trigger a chain reaction, destroying the balloon and dropping the cockpit and crew to the ground.

Damage to the LED's rudders or ion shields reduce the LED's effectiveness. Destruction of a rudder will decrease turning speed, whereas the loss of an ion shield will reduce the rate at which the LED gathers energy from its environment.
    • Thunderstorm
      The very presence of the LED's enormous hull ionizes the air, creating a maelstrom in the sky above. This thunderstorm does not only demoralize the enemy but also facillitates the collection of ambient energy by the ion shields.
    • Shock drones
      Based on beryllium cores held aloft by static electricity, shock drones provide remote controlled delivery of hyperstatic electricity payloads. The drone transmits its locational data to the operator, upon which the operator can direct the drone in 3D space. Drones move by pushing the beryllium core at great speed to the extent allowed by the contained static charge. Upon reaching its destination, the residual energy is absorbed back into the core. The charge is released violently upon contact with solid matter.

Clever contestants have been known to destroy incoming drones using shock rifles or skymine lasers.
    • Crawler cockpit
      The LED's cockpit is comprised of a multilegged armored personnel carrier. The crawler is capable of independent functioning upon the destruction of the LED's balloon, acting as an escape pod of sorts and enabling the crew to continue its shock drone barrage.

The crawler is slow but able to jump sideways to avoid incoming fire. It can also hop up. The twin propellers provide a small measure of air control, allowing the crawler to slow its decent, glide and increase the reach of its jumps.
    • Sprite mines
      The LED drops mines that guard both sky and ground.

When landed, the mine deploys a lightning spike that monitors the sky above for charge differentials. When it detects a radar signature, the spike emits a proton beam that opens a path of least resistance between itself and the atmosphere. Atmospheric charge then seeps into the channel, creating a giant, cone shaped lightning phenomenon known as a sprite.

The mines also act as standard proximity mines. Built-in motion sensors monitor the area around the mine and initiate and electrical explosion when triggered. This allows the mines to be used as bombs, as a sufficiently close hit will immediately detonate the mine.

Mines are dropped in a rapid carpet bombing pattern by default, but are equipped with tiny wings that allow them to glide with limited control. The LED pilot may select precision guided mode to direct the mines onto targets with great precision, provided the mines are dropped from enough height to alter their course. Preparing each mine for flight takes a moment, reducing the rate at which they can be dropped in precision guided mode.

The crawler has been fitted with a magnetic acceleration rail for precision deployment, as it cannot usually attain the height required for precision guided fire. The rail automatically calculates the required launch velocity to hit the targeted location.
    • Searchlights
      A fully automated array of eight searchlights scans the ground below, highlighting perceived threats.
    Credits
    • Original idea by 2B=M
    • Functional design by Xyx.
    • Graphical design by Farseer.
    • Code by Xyx and Farseer.
    • Suggestions and feedback by Doc Shock, nardix, UT2004Addict, Zynith, Orin, Sonix. Let me know if I forgot anyone...
    Version and compatibility
    • Beta. All major functionality is in place and the vehicle has a very high level of polish already. We're still tweaking, updating and fixing small things.
    • Full bot support. That's no guarantee they won't be idiots sometimes, of course.
    • No net support. We'll add that in the UT3 version.
    • You'll need UT2004 with the latest updates, especially the ECE.
    Installation and use
    1. Place the various folders in your UT2004\ folder.
    2. When prompted, overwriting any folders asked. This will not affect any game files. Alternatively, manually place the files in the appropriate game folders or use a tool such as UT2004Mi to keep tabs on the mods you install.
    3. Enable the Lightning Energy Distributor mutator. You can replace any vehicle with the LED, for either or both teams. You can also replace any vehicle with the LED's crawler cockpit as a standalone vehicle. Note that the LED is a BIG vehicle and requires some room to spawn. It is suggested as a Leviathan, Goliath or Cicada replacement.
    Download
    LED.zip (MediaFire)

Feedback appreciated!

I think the amount of searchlights and whether actively track enemys should be configureable in the mut menu.

Comment

Why is that?

Comment

looks very nice, good job XyX !

Comment

so it's finaly a beta. GJ!
          EDIT: OMG!!! i'm in the credits!!!

Comment

With the current armor system and the slow maneuvering of the LED the aiming should be independant of the movement if possible.

Is the cocpit section meant to keep the drone launchers when the core gets destroyed? I couldn't change weapons when i was using it.

Comment

Originally posted by ION3 View Post
              With the current armor system and the slow maneuvering of the LED the aiming should be independant of the movement if possible.
              How do you see this working? Like, not being able to turn while using precision guided fire?

Originally posted by ION3 View Post
              Is the cocpit section meant to keep the drone launchers when the core gets destroyed? I couldn't change weapons when i was using it.
              Could you be more specific? "The core", as in the PowerCore, end of round? What weapons did you want to change to and from?

Comment

Couple of bugs...

BUGS:

Hitting an enemy LED with the Precision Guided fire resulted in the sprite mines bouncing off the enemy LED instead of exploding.

Hitting an enemy LED with Carpet bombing fire resulted in the sprite mines going into "mine" mode in mid air.

The camera in Precision Guided mode went berserk once (basicly tumbled end over end). After I ejected, the camera was attached to my character's feet. Hopping thru a teleporter fixed it. I could not replicate this issue.

Once when enemy bots destoryed the blimp, the cockpit blew up too. (Could not replicate this issue either.)

OPINIONS:

Control in flight is too difficult, it "drifts" a little too much for my taste.

The Carpet Bomb mode is difficult to aim, I had difficulty doing much with it.

I have a few suggestions, but I hate to have you change much after all this work

Comment

i had a virus on my machine with ut2004 installed. so the feedback may take a while. my friend downloaded the mod too and he says it's working fine. and for the carpet bombing. he said the same thing. my answer was precision bombing drops one at a time to a marked spot. carpet bombing drops more than one at a time and drops them below you...

Comment

Originally posted by Galtanor View Post
                    Hitting an enemy LED with the Precision Guided fire resulted in the sprite mines bouncing off the enemy LED instead of exploding.

Hitting an enemy LED with Carpet bombing fire resulted in the sprite mines going into "mine" mode in mid air.
                    Both known issues, still on my list.

The camera in Precision Guided mode went berserk once (basicly tumbled end over end). After I ejected, the camera was attached to my character's feet. Hopping thru a teleporter fixed it. I could not replicate this issue.
                    I think that's some sort of engine bug. I've had that once or twice, but I cannot replicate it either.

Once when enemy bots destoryed the blimp, the cockpit blew up too. (Could not replicate this issue either.)
                    The cockpit can be blown up while still attached to the balloon. Otherwise... when the balloon explodes it deals 300 or so damage to everything around it. Could it have been either of these things happening?

Control in flight is too difficult, it "drifts" a little too much for my taste.
                    Well... it's a blimp, not a helicopter. How else would you expect it to behave?

The Carpet Bomb mode is difficult to aim, I had difficulty doing much with it.
                    Its main purpose is quickly mining large stretches of terrain. You can use the lower tail fin as a "sight" of sorts if you want precision. Other than that... any suggestions how I could address this issue?

I have a few suggestions, but I hate to have you change much after all this work
                    Please do post them. Much can still be done, and even if we cannot use the suggestions now, we might be able to use them for the LED's UT3 incarnation.

Comment

while i'm sitting here with a blown up computer i played with it at my friends house... and it's great... don't have time to say more...

Comment

How do you see this working? Like, not being able to turn while using precision guided fire?
                        I don't.

Could you be more specific? "The core", as in the PowerCore, end of round? What weapons did you want to change to and from?
                        "The core", as in
                        Originally posted by Xyx
                        Such loss of armor exposes the balloon's vulnerable core.
                        I wanted to change from the Sprite mine launcher to the Shock drone launcher.

Comment

So according to you there should be no steering in precision guided fire mode? "I don't" could indicate many different things. Please be specific.

And yes, the drone launchers are attached to the cockpit, so you still get to use them when the balloon is destroyed and the cockpit makes its escape. Or do you mean you weren't able to use them? I'm not sure I understand. Could you be more explicit? Talk to me like I'm 3 years old.

Comment

Ah, and so we hit beta. Lovely (I should visit these forums way more often...)

Any feedback on the graphical side, guys? Mesh, textures?

Animations are still undergoing some changes. And the launching rails (the ones at the Crawler's top) will probably get a completely new model, as I don't think the current one is particularly attractive. Just to let you know

Comment

Suggestions

I like the precision guided mines, but the blimp and the cockpit crawler seems to lack a more "directed" fire mode.

For the blimp, I think it would be neat to use the theme and the elements you already have in place. For example, you could have something like the target painter. When a beam is held on a target for a few seconds, it would attract a lightning bolt to come out of the storm and strike the target. You, of course, could only fire it when the charge bar was full. Damage done would be about what the paladin's weapon does.

I still have mixed feelings about the cockpit crawler... if I am solo, as soon as it hits the ground I feel like jumping out and heading for the nearest tank...

Maybe make the launcher at the top of it into a turret, and fire a weapon like the Dark Walker in the UT3 demo, but lightning instead of lasers.

Anyway, its a good vehicle and it definately will have a place in my onslaught (and invasion ) games.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X