CTF-ProgressiveSteel-LE1 +++ decent CTF competition map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-ProgressiveSteel-LE1 +++ decent CTF competition map

As you might know decent CTF maps (especially for clanwars and leagues) are quite rare, so the German UT2k3 community started making adaptions of the genuine UT2003 CTF maps a few months ago.
    That wasn't 100% satisfying, peeps wanted to play all new maps, therefore we launched a little "floorplan suggestion competition". My suggestion was picked by aD|KingLollo who did a great job turning my drawings and ideas to reality and adding his own ideas.

Yesterday evening we released the map with "request for comments" and its already spreading rapidly within the European community.
    I hope that the US community enjoys playing the map as much as we enjoyed making it!

Don't hesitate to download. The Goa soundtrack of ocr.D-Link*CptMeat alone should be worth it. Make sure to turn up the music volume.

OCRANA Map Filebase featuring CTF-ProgressiveSteel-LE1

The webserver blocks direct links, so I can't give you one It's "CTF-ProgressiveSteel-LE1", right on top of the list.

Note: The map has been optimized for *competitive* gaming (movement, item placement, high FPS) , so it does not feature lots of eyecandy and bot support. KingLollo plans to release a more detailed FFA version including bot support however

I also made a few screenies. Notice my >80 fps on 1024*768 at maximum details, looking over a huge terrain. The map plays VERY smooth on reasonable details, even online
    Unfortunately we had to cut the polycount a little short to achieve this, so the looks of course can't compete with the stuff you are used to from Epic itself. That wasn't the goal anyway, at least until we all have 5 GHz machines

Flagroom Overview
    25 Shield Room outside the Flagroom (upper exit)
    100 Shield Room featuring excessive Z-Fighting
    Flagroom shot showing the 2 upper exits and the lower exit (right)
    100 Shield Room shot showing the entry to the lower base exit tunnel and staircase to the 25 Shield Room
    Midfield featuring high-range Lightning Gun action
    Midfield shot showing the amp and bassins

mirrored

Comment

Can't comment on the gameplay yet (dl'ing after this post) but i'm very pleased ppl have taken it on them to go for gameplay and gameplay only.

Some people will start blabbering that it "looks like an old UT map" or whatever, but who cares - i'm already happy the screenies aren't giving me a headache Not that it looks bad btw - i prefer clean open maps - just anticipating certain comments

edit: the mirror posted above has me running around in circles (downloadpage -> map overview page -> download page)

edit #2: i do wish people would stop adding those bloody huge ogg-files to maps though. Seems all the more weird seeing your objectives with this map

Comment

Havnt downloaded it yet, but from what the screenshots show me, it does look like a nice map, but the lighting is really washed out, boring and just well, mono liked toned. Possible to tweak the lighting? Maybe a darker gloomier feeling?

Comment

I think its the Screenshots and not the map.
          I have an older version and its not that washed out.
          DL

BTW Aiwa did you know this map is choosen to be played in the WirePlay CTF league?

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger
            I think its the Screenshots and not the map.
            I have an older version and its not that washed out.
            DL

BTW Aiwa did you know this map is choosen to be played in the WirePlay CTF league?
            I heard about that just today. Didn't know that by then Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Xcel
              Havnt downloaded it yet, but from what the screenshots show me, it does look like a nice map, but the lighting is really washed out, boring and just well, mono liked toned. Possible to tweak the lighting? Maybe a darker gloomier feeling?
              I gamma corrected them by 1.5, giving about the brightness most people play the game with.

Comment

Ok played it and its still a very good map

2 things,

The water looked messed up from earlier versions?

And a minor one, this map deserves a better skybox (and it doesnt hurt FPS)

Anyho looking fwd to play this one :up:

Comment

this is a great map i love it im going to see about getting it on the [H] UT2003 CTF server!:up:

its good to see we are starting to get some maps that meet the UT2003 standards of furtureistic sports combat arens instead of the **** that most people release!

http://home.attbi.com/~mmsm/ProgressiveSteel2.jpg
                  http://home.attbi.com/~mmsm/ProgressiveSteel2.jpg
                  http://home.attbi.com/~mmsm/ProgressiveSteel4.jpg
                  http://home.attbi.com/~mmsm/ProgressiveSteel5.jpg

Comment

Looks awesome man!

I'll download it when I get home. Does this German Community have more of these?

I do have a lot of good CTF UT2k3 maps btw, I know more DM maps are being made, but quality >>> quantity, some are really great.

This one reminds me of BollWerkRuins, looking at the screens. And I'm not too familiar with UT-CTF-maps, I got hooked on CTF with UT2k3. I played another remake last night for a while, Coret][ and I just plainly hate that map with all I got.

Marco

Comment

Holy oversized screenie, Batman!

Comment

What the ****? No bot support? No offense, but I won't be downloading this.

Comment

Looks like a sweet map. I wonder if it works well with instagib ?

Comment

Originally posted by Virax
                            What the ****? No bot support? No offense, but I won't be downloading this.
                            "LE1" stands for "League Edition V1.0". Nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmen
                              Looks like a sweet map. I wonder if it works well with instagib ?
                              There's a ****load of trickjumps hidden on that map and all places are reachable without transloc, provided some swift fingers. It's WAY outsized for transloc-free playing though. It might be fun with lots of players on insta. 8on8 at the least.

Comment

Working...
                              X