X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screenshot Sender Alpha

Name: Screenshot Sender
    Version: First alpha
    Compatibility: Well, it should be compatible with all versions of UT2004.

Description:
    OK, the goal of this mutator is to make it more easy for administrators to decide, if a player cheated or not.
    The mutator basically takes a screenshot, compresses it and sends it to the server so that an admin can search for suspicious HUD-content (like a radar).

This mutator has 2 parts: one is the mutator and one is a c++ program to convert the output of the mutator into the actual image. I couldn't save the image directly as I no know method of writing binary files from inside of UScript, so I simply used a HTML-file to print out all bytes (in text form).
    I included the c++ source so that you can compile it yourself, if you mistrust me^^.

The mutator works great for a resolution < 160x120 and you don't really need more to detect a radar or something like this (tested on my computer: I have DSL2000 and I connected over the server-browser, and not over LAN^^).
    So, why is this an alpha? Well, I want to see if I can compress the image to JPEG or anything similar to that to reduce the transferred data-amount and thus to enable larger resolutions. It also needs a bit tweaking, perhaps.

OK, just a last note: use the mutator at your own risk as if wrongly used (like setting the resolution too high) could cause the server/client to crash as it can use much bandwith and cpu.

Download Link: FILEFRONT

Hope the mutator is useful.
    Suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Gugi

*gives a big hug* you're my new bestest buddy!

I have asked for this exact thing ages ago from some of the communities "renowned" coders and most said it was not possible. Thanks for proving them wrong.

This is the type of admin utility all servers admins should have access too. It's the only sure way to get true anti-cheat.

Please tell me you are doing this for UT3

I'll upload this puppy tonight and try it out.

Comment

Nice, I developed something very similar in the past but left it unfinished so I could work on other projects.

I can send you the code for that if you like, I think I still have it lying around.
      It can convert the images to greyscale (reducing size greatly) and has code which can re-render the image ingame using a scripted texture (works offline with a test file, would need to code a system for retransmitting shot to admins), which would be useful if you want admins to be able to view images while still ingame.

Comment

Is this mutator serverside only or does it get added to teh serverpackages? You may want to change the name to something less conspicious than screensender.

BTW, what folder on the server do the files get written to?

Comment

Great idea! It would be best if you could use it as a ServerActor instead of a ServerPackage (like CVROY mentioned).

Good work!

P.S. Shambler brings good ideas to the table.

Comment

if the clients need the file rename it, but you can also make it a server actor either way to make sure it's always active. Serveractors get preference over mutators I believe.

does this thing work from the web admin console?

Comment

OK tested it, everything works excellent so far with no bugs that are very obvious.

tested it from the web admin and it does not work from there, only in game logged in as admin... which is not good all the time as people tend to turn off cheats when they see the words "admin has just logged in" I would suggest making the admin login silent if you cannot make it work from the web admin.

Lastly, I can see the mutator listed in my server browser even though I have it set not to show... I copied the info from the .ini you have in the mutator and put it in my server.ini

EPIC needs to put this in UT3 without a doubt!

Comment

Thx a lot for the responses

The mutator is server and client side, thus the package has to be downloaded by the client. But you only need to add the mutator as the mutator adds itself automatically to the serverpackages.
                I will change the name.^^

Originally posted by CVROY View Post
                tested it from the web admin and it does not work from there,...
                I wanted to include this anyway^^

...only in game logged in as admin... which is not good all the time as people tend to turn off cheats when they see the words "admin has just logged in" I would suggest making the admin login silent if you cannot make it work from the web admin.
                There's a setting called "AdminGUIDs". This is an array of GUIDs of players who are able to perform the commands without logging in. Just add you GUID there:
                AdminGUIDs="MyCoolGUID"
                AdminGUIDs="AnotherGUID"

Lastly, I can see the mutator listed in my server browser even though I have it set not to show... I copied the info from the .ini you have in the mutator and put it in my server.ini
                Uhm, saw this, too, after I posted here
                It worked fine in the LAN-browser, but not in the internet-browser (but I dunno why exactly. They seem to use a totally different method to get the mutators??).

Originally posted by Shambler View Post
                It can convert the images to greyscale (reducing size greatly)
                Yeah, that is also one thing I wanted to include before releasing the final.

..has code which can re-render the image ingame using a scripted texture (works offline with a test file, would need to code a system for retransmitting shot to admins), which would be useful if you want admins to be able to view images while still ingame.
                Mh, good idea. Only thing is, that you need to transfer all bytes to the client and UScript is not capable of transferring huge amounts of data very fast. The server lags and so on (of course it is the same as transferring the original screenshot, but you can't get around that).
                Anyway, I think I will include something similar to this.

I can send you the code for that if you like, I think I still have it lying around.
                Thanks, would be nice to see another method (if it is another?). My email is in the readme (don't want to post it here).^^

I will also try to have the whole thing work with a serveractor.

Ok, if I have time I will continue to develope the mutator.
                Thx a lot, Gugi.

Comment

Sweet, I'll try the auto GUID thingy, sorry I was not paying too much attention as I was enamored with this mutator since I downloaded it.

Most important question... What about doing this for UT3

Comment

Originally posted by Gugi View Post
                    My email is in the readme (don't want to post it here).
                    Ok, sent

Comment

Sweet, I'll try the auto GUID thingy, sorry I was not paying too much attention as I was enamored with this mutator since I downloaded it.

Most important question... What about doing this for UT3
                      No problem^^.
                      And for UT3: I don't know anything about it atm. I haven't got Roboblitz, so I will have to wait till UT3 is released (and perhaps till I have got a new PC). Thus I don't know how much "freedom" you'll have for scripting.
                      Anyway, I will try to port it to UT3.

Ok, sent
                      Thx a lot I will look through the code and see how you did the things.

Comment

NICE! Thanks.

Comment

this is great..i need to test out...i like the admin guid option...makes it much more useful..having to push it to the client makes it less attractive, but im guessing its the only was to make it werk...makes me think it would be nice to include in a bigger...standard mutator..a la TCC or UT2Vote so it wouldn't be obvious it is included....renaming will help...but before long i think most in the cheating community will figure out that 'happybunnymutator' is actually this..no matter what you name it...

thanks for doing this..

Comment

Yes, you need to have new code on the client. So there's no way around...

And that's another problem. Even if I, lets say release the mutator daily und a different name, they will find a way around it (at least in private hacks)

But anyway, I think it will help to detect hacks.

Oh, and thx

Comment

Most hacks put some sort of visual on the screen so you know it's active. All this does is force a screen shot and sends it. There is no way around this one I think. It's such a simple mutator and since it does not detect anything there is no need to update it

The only other thing that I could see adding to this to have the ability to check if anything is loaded client-side (in case they turn off the visuals of their haxxxors), and have it create a .txt file listing all the .U files or packages the client has loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X