• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-noname BETA3 ('NOTHER UPDATE)

Name: no name atm
    Version: alpha i suppose
    Compatibility: ut2004 latest patch
    Description: slightly decorated map kinda based on terracotta roofing and all that jazz. this is mainly a layout test now, though. 6-10 players seems suitable
    Comments: map is fully pathed. you can jump into the ocean and not die. just... don't do it, i haven't gotten around to fixing that part.

give the layout a go, don't be concerned about the decor right now. and those long hallways, they will be blocked off eventually (or more than the current blocking volume/invisible wall) I want it to give the feeling of being on a town street, you know have fun.
    Screenshots:

Credits: hourences for a few of his textures
    Homepage: http://home.comcast.net/~zeldaguru/
    Download: here you go, beta3 2.3mb

Hey judging from the screenshots at first I thought it was a Tactical Ops map or something of the sort. You should consider making it for that if you can, it really looks like it belongs in a realistic mod.

Comment

If this is just a layout, then I want to see the finished map. Quality stuff like always, tidu.

Comment

haha I guess I went a little too far on the deco and didn't realize it. It's probably more beta than alpha. I'm more into semi-realistic maps as opposed to maps that try to be realistic... I'm trying to go a similar path with this although it's leaning toward the realistic side. I think after more decorations are added it will be a little more noticeable.

I'm still testing it with bots a bit. 6-10 seems like a good number for my games. I'm also brainstorming some more decoration as well. I'll have an update soon enough

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

just tried it (TAM) and liked it a lot, i has a lot of potential (for design and gameplay), the middle area is really fun to play
            here are two suggestions :

can be a problem for lift jump

i had the feeling that this corridor wasn't necessary

very promising map, can't wait for other betas

Comment

got an update. Added a couple notable things as per suggestions

-heightened the opening above that lift. it's still possible to hit the ceiling if you try, but you wouldn't make it to the above platform anyway so it's fine.
              -not sure about that 100a corridor. I'm leaving it in this time around, but I agree with you as I was playing i rarely went near it.
              -added a dodge jump ramp up to the lightning gun platform

-added some more foliage, torches, etc. Made the underground sewer area more believable.
              -lifts now have a decent mesh and blend in.
              -went with "stair" theme in many of the rooms. indentations in the ground 16 units lower than the floor give a stair or lowered room illusion, you'll see what i mean

have fun

http://home.comcast.net/~zeldaguru/july07-beta2.ut2.zip (2.3MB)

Comment

It would help to trim the sides of your double stairway, as it would improve the lightmaps on the sidewalls. Also, try putting some stuff on the rooftops to vary the look of them, maybe raise one of them to be higher than the others so they dont look all the same height.

Comment

Sorry for the long reply. I'm hoping to get the map out before the week ends and college for me starts...

I took a few suggestions. Some of the buildings were made taller for variance, and objects were added on top (pipes, electrical units). I am blocking off the ends of the streets with boxes and such now.

After a few plays I realized the 100a hallway was rarely used, so I scrapped it. And those two staircases with the bad lighting were actually meshes, but I just got rid of them all together and put in bsp that looks better.
                  I'll have an update really soon. And if no problems, it'll be polished and released soon. thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

I say it DM-SanVenganza, as in the town in Ghost Rider. Becase it really reminds me of that town in the movie. Has that real western yet errie feel to it.

Comment

updateeeeeee

http://home.comcast.net/~zeldaguru/D...-beta3.ut2.zip

I decided to cut out the 100a hallway. I put a 50a in the space between the stairs, a kinda risky place to run into and grab the shield. it's kinda close to the 50a at the top of the lift jump, but i think it'll be alright. I blocked off all the corridors. I think it's pretty playable. if I run into any more problems I'll report.

Comment

Umm, pictures would tell us what we're downloading

Comment

Sorry I finally remembered the name of the town that this map reminds me of. Updated the post from earlier. Anyone else get that feeling too?

Comment

Hm I'm not into Ghost Rider too much... I'll throw it into my list of names, which brings that list up to a grand total of one name.

And... pictures are in the first post. I have made visual changes but I think those screenshots are good enough for a preview, right? College caught up with me but I have some free time now to polish the map up.

Comment

Working...
                            X