Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Does anyone still have this freeIK kit?

I'm thinking this would be pretty cool to use for either an AT-AT or AT-ST "monster" in invasion, and for simplifying third person weapon poses (for instance some universal code for the default UT2k4 characters to hold pistols etc.) that could be adjusted-on-the-fly.

I think I still have the old IK code that was used in that one "darkwalker-like" vehicle (by either Farseer or Matariel, I don't remember) but I don't think it was the latest version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, it's my turn to bump this thread, I'm interested too !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi there. Sorry to necromance a thread from a long time ago, however, question is relevant.

Came here by searching for something for UDK, and I thought.. well, hell, this'd be interesting to see in the old engine.

Anyone have a mirror of these files anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cool stuff

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now I know that I know nothing....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, it is. I completely forgot about that. You can temporarily get it from here (solvers) and here (test map). Sorry for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Site down

It seems the FreeIK site (http://www.farsight.pl/UT2k4/tools/freeIK/freeIK.zip) is down.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Haha, don't say that, my solver is nowhere near as functional as yours, it's just a proof of concept, more than anything else. And still terribly unpolished.

I will definitely take a look at your code. I resolved all those replication issues (cutting down the number of necessary calculations per second too) but I'm still way curious what method do you use for the calculations themselves

Leave a comment:

• replied
    lmao dude you rock! your work-habits amaze me. Ive released my walker, but just look at how long it took. You basically did the same thing in a TINY fraction of that time; sometimes I really do wonder if I have ADD

looking great, I see that youve faced the same issues that I expected from network replication? I love the work-around; way to disguise slow-replication

I might just start using your solver if you implement axis constraints. Oh and feel free to look at my controller, its the basicIK.u file packaged with the walker over by my release thread. I warn you, it's somewhat messy.

Great work dude!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aye, the joints in legs look okay now. Good to see another Maya user, by the way I should get back to polishing that IK sometime, but I'm kinda overburdened with animation work at the moment... If I can't do this anytime soon, you (or anyone at RBTT) are more than welcome to play with the code and add anything you want.
    [advertisement] Also, there should be another IK solver released in the nearest future, done by matariel from BU forums. I don't know exactly how it works, though, or would it be suitable for your spider at all. But you should definitely take a look at that when it's out, especially because of the vehicle it's supposed to support - a darkwalker.[/advertisement]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok i started a new model this time i wanna get rotations on the legs right

do they look ok ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @milk (or anyone at RBTT):
    I've also looked up Venom's animations and (hopefully) got some useful ideas how to configure the solvers to adjust spider's legs to terrain. I'm only a little worried about how it will work with that rig - left side of the spider's skeleton has weird setup of bones. Probably an issue caused by mirroring the skeleton in 3d app:

See? The rotation of a joint doesn't match the general rotation of a bone.
    I may be able to compensate that in code, though

Yeah your right about the bone setup I'm still learning to rig and animate and didn't fully understand the importance of bone rotation when rigging venom it shouldn't be too big a job to fix the rotations but i have a horrible feeling i'll need to adjust all the animations to suit

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Farseer View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Anyway, don't take my yelling too seriously in the future, I often type something in capital letters and it is not necessarly supposed to be some sign of irritation or anything

Expect freeIK updates tomorrow. Probably.
    oke i'll keep that in mind
    Originally posted by Farseer View Post
    Hate to double-post, but editing wouldn't be appropriate here - new info coming:

Due to some nasty issues with UT and Windows (oh yea, M$ ftw) I was not able to prepare any decent update - that will come in a week (or two), when I'm done with sightseeing in Scandinavia.
    However I've been doing some tests and got the IK solver to work online. Still no interpolation though, so the movement is as "jumpy" as it was. But technically it works pretty well.

I've also looked up Venom's animations and (hopefully) got some useful ideas how to configure the solvers to adjust spider's legs to terrain. I'm only a little worried about how it will work with that rig - left side of the spider's skeleton has weird setup of bones. Probably an issue caused by mirroring the skeleton in 3d app:

I may be able to compensate that in code, though.
    looks funny.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Third post in a row. Lovely.
    Anyway, if someone is still interested in this - new version has been uploaded, see the first post (or a shortcut to downloads - freeIK and tests).

New features:
    - Full network compatibility. Replication is sooo beautiful
    - Interpolation. No more jumping from one rotation to another - movement is smooth and clean now.
    - Added a test vehicle to the Playground. It's very much in the alpha-stages and the legs don't work exactly as they're meant to (if someone is willing to get a walking mech done that way - it's possible, but FootTracker actors need a lot of polishing) but the IK system works pretty well there (still lacks rotational constraints, though).

Enjoy.

PS. Done some tests with the RBTT's Venom. As you can see here

the affected legs do adjust to terrain, but with current rig of the spider and because of the fact that it levitates over the terrain (UT's collision FTW!) the effects can be a little messy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hate to double-post, but editing wouldn't be appropriate here - new info coming:

Due to some nasty issues with UT and Windows (oh yea, M$ ftw) I was not able to prepare any decent update - that will come in a week (or two), when I'm done with sightseeing in Scandinavia.
    However I've been doing some tests and got the IK solver to work online. Still no interpolation though, so the movement is as "jumpy" as it was. But technically it works pretty well.

I may be able to compensate that in code, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X