DM-Shaft_beta [pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Shaft_beta [pics]

DM-SHAFT is now posted in the Final Release section.

DM-SHAFT is a remake of DM-Gael.

[SHOT]https://home.comcast.net/~m-e-kilgore/shot34.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]https://home.comcast.net/~m-e-kilgore/shot38.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]https://home.comcast.net/~m-e-kilgore/shot31.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]https://home.comcast.net/~m-e-kilgore/shot30.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]https://home.comcast.net/~m-e-kilgore/shot40.jpg[/SHOT]

To be bluntly honest I immediately thought, here goes someone without anything new to offer and offers a remake to satisfy their own ego as a map maker. How very wrong I was, it is indeed the skeleton of Gael but has the flesh of something very different indeed. It had more twists then a good Agatha Christie plot, more turns then the Monaco GP. I really tried to fault it, weapons were well placed making it a map that you need to keep moving to stay alive. Lighiting (IMO) was well balanced and ambience overall was good, and I am sure that others will mirror what I say. If any tweaking is to be done they are minor (for more experienced critics to say) but I could see none that were evident. Well done.

Duca

Comment

Originally posted by Ducatisto View Post
      ...more turns then the Monaco GP
      Nice.

First I thought just what Duca said, "Aw, ****, another Gael remix." Personally I hate DM-Gael (*cough* UMF New Fun Server *cough*), but this map has changed my view. I think this is what Gael should have been. Great work man.

Comment

man that is a long first post......i dont wanta read it

Comment

Nice map I can see this puppy going on are server, did a quick run through and man it has area. As for game play you never know where you might find someone lurking and even some good Hammer time, and I really like the middle where you drop down to different levels now throw in some one shooting at you good luck on landing on the next beam down.

Comment

So..this a Gael mod? Thats the first thing that I thought when I saw the screens.

Comment

(Screenshots Removed)

Comment

UDamage leave it be, take this map load it up with 10 players now you say it's out of the way so to speak not when you have those players that must have it and others that feel the same, some players have their zone and live by it enter and die for the others, so a map really dose not have an out of the way place if those players are present during play. Take me I love the Hammer and you have just my spot a nice tight stairway to my zone, what corner will I be waiting and will lobbing flak balls ahead of your advance get me or will I pop out while your reloading.

Comment

fom the screenshots tht are floating around here, this map seems to be very good, the visual style is similar to that of gael (which is great for TAM) but the overall structure of it is far grander

when i played this i couldnt help but feel that this would make a great ctf map, one team at the top, one at the bottom.

the map plays well and theres plenty enough cover to stop it from being hitscan heaven, overall its great, no bugs that i could see.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury.T32 View Post
                    can we have a less irritating mirror than unreal playground. no matter what i do i cant find the ACTUAL link for this map, the link provided takes me to the main page of unrealplayground. (and yes i searched

anyhow

fom the screenshots tht are floating around here, this map seems to be very good, the visual style is similar to that of gael (which is great for TAM) but the overall structure of it is far grander, more when ive found some way to dl this...
                    After you get to the site under 04 go down to the last line Beta maps and then you will find it listed in the group. I know I had the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman(Co30) View Post
                      some players have their zone
                      Good point.

when i played this i couldn't help but feel that this would make a great ctf map, one team at the top, one at the bottom.
                      I disagree.

First, if the teleportation network in the map were left intact, then it would be the shortest flag run imaginable. If the teleportation network were either altered or removed, the bottom team flag carrier would always have the advantage of being able to drop quickly down the shaft.

Second, the map is too tight and there are not enough routes from top to bottom (flag carrier cannot translocate).

I can only think of one way to make this a workable CTF map and it would require some significant changes.

The map would basically have to be split in half vertically (with the exception of the shaft and bottom biorifle arena).

The top arena would have to be split in half both vertically and horizontally.

Most players would spawn in the bottom half of the rocket arena and the flag for both teams would be on the second floor of the rocket arena, with the flags at opposite ends.

The second floor of the arena would have to be divided equally with a barrier and there could be no egress from top of arena to the bottom arena or vis-versa.

In order to reach the top of the arena, both teams will need to descend the shaft to reach the bottom were they could take either stairs or a slow moving two-way elevator (or use elevator to ascend one way and stairs to descend once again and perhaps the elevator could be an exposed platform, hard to see how to implement) to the top.

Stairs and elevator to red base on one side of the bottom room and blue stairs and elevator on the other side.

So you spawn at the top, descend shaft, choose the elevator that leads to the top side of your enemy's base, grab enemy flag and then descend once again, run to the other side of the bottom room and then ascend back to your base at the top and capture the flag.

That's the only way I can see it working and I'm not sure how that would make a fun playing CTF map, but my opinion on what makes a CTF map fun to play is irrelevant. It's not my place to tell you what maps you should feel or think are fun or not; that's left to you to decide and no one else. For example, I don't think 1-on-1 CTF maps are fun to play, but many other people do find them fun, should someone then not make 1-on-1 CTF maps because MindRiot doesn't like those kind of maps? Certainly not!

theres plenty enough cover to stop it from being hitscan heaven
                      Yes

I was keenly aware of this as I was constructing the map, this is why the minigun is behind a fence and the warehouse has fencing as well.

Furthermore, I refuse to place any more staticmeshes on the walls of the shaft, since wall dodging is a necessary and very fun defensive tactic.

I still believe players are overly exposed in the shaft, but since there is an alternate way to reach the bottom, I feel comfortable with the current arrangement.

Masterful and inhuman bots are excellent at wall dodging in the shaft, and they will rely on hitscan weapons, particularly the lightning gun. You will be surprised at how exposed you really are to hitscan weapons in the shaft, especially if you choose to fall straight down the shaft, that's why dodging off the wall of the shaft is important. I have deliberately limited the ammo for the lightning gun to one ammo pack and its located next to the lightning gun. So you will need to go back to the rocket arena and enter the shaft again to reach the lightning ammo pack. I was thinking of removing the ammo pack and leaving just the lightning gun.

Comment

Working...
                      X