Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reload [alpha]

Description

This mutator replaces handheld weapons with versions that require reloading after use. Each weapon has its own clip size and reload speed. Clip size is based on what the weapon models indicate. Reload speeds are based on common sense and an attempt to balance the weapons. Clip count is displayed in the bottom right corner, below the ammo icon.

Planned changes
    • Make each weapon more unique. For now, only the Flak Cannon is different. It reloads one shell at a time, like a shotgun.
    • Add a Reload key. For now, weapons only reload after you empty the clip.
    • Animate the weapons while reloading. Only the Flak Cannon animates for now, and somewhat poorly at that. I have to work with the existing "PutDown" and "BringUp" animations. However, I might be able to point the weapon up while reloading. That should also be visible to other players.
    • More use of sound. At the moment, weapons play their "BringUp" sound when fully reloaded.
    • Visible reload progress indicator. A little charging bar like the Assault Rifle altfire, for example.
    • Make the Link Gun able to store energy inside the weapon itself, slowly leeching its clips dry. That way you could load several clips, one after the other.
    • Possibly make the Sniper Rifle load one bullet at a time, like the Flak Cannon. The weapon model suggests it has a clip, but I'd like to further differentiate it from the Lightning Gun.
    • Beef up the Assault Rifle, making it a viable choice and more than a 'nade spamming device. Bullets should deal more than 7 damage. Altfire could determine the 'nade's "fuse length" instead of speed. A quick click would set the 'nade to explode on impact, while "charging it up" would allow it to bounce around.
    Known bugs
    • The weapons cannot be used in netplay.
    • Flak Cannon can be fired while reloading.
    • Assault Rifle primary fire ignores clip size.
    Support
    • UT2004 + Megapack
    • Default bot support. Bots are not aware that their weapon is reloading.
    • No net support yet. The weapons cannot be picked up in netplay.
    Download

Reload.zip This is an alpha release.

Feedback appreciated!

sounds fun

Comment

Beef up the Assault Rifle, making it a viable choice and more than a 'nade spamming device. Bullets should deal more than 7 damage.
      Actually, reducing the bullet spread to near 0(I've tried dead on, it won't, but pretty close) makes it pretty nasty, even with 7 damage per bullet

Comment

But 7 damage for a bullet? Even the Enforcers do more damage. I should enable headshots, at least.

I suppose I should make this a side project. It warrants improvement even without a reload feature. I'll post another thread specifically for an updated Assault Rifle when I have the time.

I think the Rocket Launcher should hold 5 rockets. I don't see how more than three rockets could fit inside its clip, but it always keeps two rockets ready when at rest. One in the top barrel, one in the plunger mechanism. It'd be tricky to animate it running out of rockets completely, though.

Comment

awesome! i like the assault rifle grenade concept, those little ******** take to long to go off! you should add some more momentumTransfer on those babies!

Comment

Very good idea and concept. One question though. Is this possible to apply to other 3rd party weapons and not just the stock ones.

Comment

Xyx, did you switch to making weapons now?
              Anyway - great concept. That should add some tactics without taking away UT's crazy speed. The only thing that we need now is some decent hide_behind_cover system. Well, and maps with real cover. Cause in the stock ones it's rather hard to find some place to calm down and reload

Comment

Originally posted by Major A Payne
                Is this possible to apply to other 3rd party weapons and not just the stock ones.
                No, for several reasons. Epic included no reload functionality whatsoever in their code base, so it's not just a matter of opening up some hidden features. 3rd party weapons would have to be modified, recompiled and included in the mutator. That would go a bit outside the scope of my time or interests.

Comment

Nice project (I am honest).
                  In this way everybody can see if reload is for him/her or not.

PS: You might wanna look into the mod request forum.
                  http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...4#post24622124

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                    But 7 damage for a bullet? Even the Enforcers do more damage. I should enable headshots, at least.
                    Well, the slugs are 5.56mm and that's just under a quarter inch, not exactly the nastiest of rounds

Comment

Ooo, sounds interesting. Downloding.
                      I'm not liking the idea of the sniper having to reload after each shot, though. A 5 or 10 round mag would make more sense.
                      Originally posted by Kyllian
                      Well, the slugs are 5.56mm and that's just under a quarter inch, not exactly the nastiest of rounds
                      Ok then, I'll shoot you in the chest with an M4/FAMAS/L85 and lets see if you change your mind.
                      Originally posted by Xyx
                      clip
                      *cough*Magazine*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Moose
                        I'm not liking the idea of the sniper having to reload after each shot, though. A 5 or 10 round mag would make more sense.
                        The sniper rifle is tricky. Its model suggests it uses a magazine, but its ammo pickup just looks like a box with some bullets loosely standing in it.

How then would I differentiate the Sniper Rifle from the Lightning Gun? I could simply give it a magazine size of 10 (the Lightning Gun only gets 3 charges per ammo pickup), but that would put the Sniper Rifle way ahead of the Lightning Gun in power.

*cough*Magazine*cough*
                        Is that the technical term?

Well, since you're the self-proclaimed expert... What would you call that four-leaf-clover shaped spidermine ammo thingy? Magazine? Clip? Case?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
                          The sniper rifle is tricky. Its model suggests it uses a magazine, but its ammo pickup just looks like a box with some bullets loosely standing in it.
                          GG Epic.
                          How then would I differentiate the Sniper Rifle from the Lightning Gun? I could simply give it a magazine size of 10 (the Lightning Gun only gets 3 charges per ammo pickup), but that would put the Sniper Rifle way ahead of the Lightning Gun in power.
                          I'd have the lightning gun as single shot, powerful, railgun-like jobber and the sniper rifle as more of a weaker, semi-auto, designated marksman style affair.
                          Well, since you're the self-proclaimed expert... What would you call that four-leaf-clover shaped spidermine ammo thingy? Magazine? Clip? Case?
                          A box mag, I guess. I'm no expert, though. D:
                          Originally posted by Xyx
                          • Add a Reload key. For now, weapons only reload after you empty the clip.
                          Unless you already have one. If you do, you can stuff shells into the flak cannon until your finger goes numb. No need for ammo pickups anymore. ^^

Comment

I'd have the lightning gun as single shot, powerful, railgun-like jobber and the sniper rifle as more of a weaker, semi-auto, designated marksman style affair.
                            Nono, I'm not touching any stats like damage or fire rate. Differentiation will have to come from the reload system only.

I might mess with the Assault Rifle, but that'd either be a separate mutator or a configurable option.

Unless you already have one. If you do, you can stuff shells into the flak cannon until your finger goes numb. No need for ammo pickups anymore. ^^
                            I'm not following. I already have what? And why would I not need ammo pickups?

Comment

I say we go Halo-style with it on some weapons. For example, the lightning gun is already so similar to the sniper rifle, so I think that instead of a reload, it should have a heat-up, so you essentially never have to reload, but if you fire as fast as you can, it will overheat very quickly (two, maybe three shots). For some numbers, do it this way:
                              Heat is a number between 0 and 100. If it reaches 100, you cannot fire until it cools down to 0. Heat decreases at a constant rate of 40/second, to a minimum of 0. Whenever you fire, heat increases by 60.
                              So yeah. Give the sniper rifle a reload time of two seconds, and a magazine capacity of four shots. Halo has proven this to be balanced, so it should work, but it should regardless be tested for balance.

Comment

Working...
                              X