ONS-Silva BETA 4

1. Name:

ONS-SilvaBETA4.ut2

2. Version:

Beta 4

3. Compatibility:

UT2004 + ECE

4. Description:

Silva is latin for forest. Giant pines grow in a massive sinkhole (which is strangely perfectly symmetric, perfect for an onslaught arena!)
    Other than a total of four stock static meshes, this level is 100% custom meshes created by me.

There is a lot going on in this map. First and foremost, the layout:
    [screenshot]http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8108/silvaoverhead6xq.jpg[/screenshot]
    Each core links to three primary nodes. These primary nodes are similar to the nodes I've used in Maelstrom - they are modified to have 60% health (1200 instead of 2000) and build in 60% of the normal time (18 seconds instead of 30). They are represented by grey points on the map.
    The four middle nodes are normal, and are represented by white points on the map.
    Scorpions are a custom variant called the Scorpio (that's also latin!) made by Gorzakk. The Scorpio features four-wheel steering and other small adjustments to its web weapon. These changes are subtle, and are designed to help the scorpion be a more viable vehicle.

5. Comments:

This map is nearing completion. Here is what is left to do:
    -Ambient sounds
    -Compose a custom music track

There are a few known bugs:
    -Bots will sometimes enter a vehicle, instantly get out, then wait a few seconds before entering the vehicle again and driving off. I wish I knew why.
    -Bots also will periodically drive like morons
    -When in 3rd person view in turrets, the camera will go through the static mesh base the turrets are placed on. This doesn't happen with any other static meshes, which is odd.

Nothing major at all, and nothing that can't be ironed out either.
    Before everyone asks why I've not made one of my HunterW™ skyboxes for this map, it is because the height of the trees and fog distance limits the amount of skybox space I can use.
    There's a simple trigonometric formula you can use to determine the angle of sky you can get away with in your map...get to the lowest point you can, and measure up to the tallest thing in your map. This is the vertical portion of a right triangle. Using your fogdistance as the hypotenuse, you can find this angle with the formula:

ArcCos (height/fogdistance)
    so in my case, ArcCos (8000/10500) = 40 degrees. Hardly any sky to work with at all - just enough room for a big sun!

6. Screenshots:

[screenshot]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/589/silva12yl.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6792/silva23lq.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8329/silva30bs.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/3914/silva49lm.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5176/silva54kd.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5530/silva65cq.jpg[/screenshot]

7. Credits:

Created by Hunter Wiebush.
    Made possible by the Titan Onslaught Community's ongoing beta-testing and feedback. As this map is beta, I will not yet list everyone involved with feedback.
    Special thanks to Shambler (creator of ONSPlus), who scripted the custom nodes.
    Special thanks to Gorzakk, who scripted the Scorpio.
    Special thanks to Carth for alpha-layer manipulation.
    Special thanks to Kousto & Slaughter for hosting.
    Ivy texture for the terrain is not mine, but is a temporary placeholder - I am going to photograph and create a new one for the final release.

8. Homepage:

No homepage yet, so here is my NaliCity portfolio.
    http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/vie...or.php?aid=195

9. Download:

premium rapidshare: http://rapidshare.de/files/21943158/ONS-SilvaBETA4.zip
    kousto's ftp backup: http://3615tavie.free.fr/maps/hunter...SilvaBETA4.zip
    slaughter's backup:
    http://slaughtersplace.com/sp/maps/ONS-SilvaBETA4.zip
    Feedback is most appreciated. Thanks!

10. Servers that run this map:

Titan 32p Onslaught
    unreal://217.77.176.198:7777

A.S.S Carcass Factory 32p Onslaught
    unreal://207.210.237.106:7777

Slaughter's Place ONS
    unreal://8.6.74.102:7777

Clan Death Warrant Spam Vikings 32p Chi-town Smackdown
    unreal://69.65.1.18:7777

Originally posted by hunterwiebush
    8. Homepage:

No homepage yet, so here is my NaliCity portfolio.
    http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/vie...or.php?aid=195
    It misses one map.

Nice screens btw. :up:

Comment

and again another great map by Hunter !

Comment

That cave looks great , downing.......

Edit: played it 4 a while and find this a very nice map

Comment

I've played the map on the server a few days ago...I must say it was really fun, the map is good and original, good work

Comment

This is such a cool map, nice job.

Comment

This map is ridiculously fun to play - been awhile since I've seen a new map be this much fun

Currently up on /-=GC=-/ Nepenthe 26 player ONS

Thx man!

-Fk

Comment

wow nice !

I just love this Map ... :heart: :up:

Comment

You mentioned some bot pathing issues, so I took a peek at your map in the editor. While I didn't solve anything, I did notice some some odd things.

The mega shields in the caves are not connected to the bot paths?

Leaving the red base and going to the first node on the right, there is a jump pad the puts you on top of a small ridge. You have a single path node up there, yet it isn't connected to anything either? Blue side has the same issue.

It is kinda cool up there! Might be a good place for a deemer or something. If anything, it could be a sniping position against two nodes and into the cave throught the hole in the cave ceiling. In either case, that area up there could be tactically useful! Not to mention a real pain the you know what if bots could get up there and harass the nodes. I circled the ridges in question in red!

The water fall areas are really cool! There is a lot about this map that is just awsome!

I wouldn't mind seeing some more decorations or something in the caves, they look a little bland. Maybe some crystal out croppings or something. Water dropping here and there in the cave perhaps?

I am pretty good at bot pathing, so let me know if I can contribute!

Great map! Good size! Awsome atmosphere!

Comment

Ok? So I have played it a bit now! Bots do have some issues with the vehicles, that is for sure!

I also think that the spot right under the center bridge is just screaming for another power node! Put a node there and a couple of mantas or even a levi! That might shake things up a bit!

The bots don't seem to use the cave at all. I was also thinking about another power node in the cave? Perhaps under the sun roof, your screenshot #6. Even have a raptor or something fly out through that hole in the ceiling.

The only issue with that idea is it is awful close the power node by the water fall. What about moving that node into the cave? Just a thought!

Comment

i will probably have to eliminate 90% of the roadpathnodes and do them all again, spaced out a bit more. still, they are absolutely retarded when it comes to driving them out of the base, even when i spent a good half hour to get all the paths from the vehicle spawns to outside of the core white. :bulb: **** bots. seriously, what happened to the 3rd-party quake 2 bots that were self-learning and created their path network from your movements as you played a botmatch with them? we are seriously moving backwards here.

anywho, the waterfall node in the cave was originally planned, but i dumped that as progress went on. bots do use the cave routes, seldomly - attaching that new shield to them will probably lure them in a bit more. in online play they don't get much use either, so i am planning on adding karmaboostvolumes ala ons-adara to make them a bit quicker of a route. already though they are a great way to sneak up on the hilltop nodes with a tank - nice and shielded from air power.
                      a node in the middle under the bridge is still a distinct possibility. it will be difficult to decide what vehicles should go there though, because in order to keep symmetry there must be two of the same type. in maelstrom it is 2 hellbenders...but there are plenty of benders on this map already. two scorpios would be underwhelming, and anything more powerful would require reshuffling of the current vehicle loadout.

i will have to spend some time and think about it...!:up:

Comment

Toward the middle nodes somewhere, when a bot uses a turret gun it will go all insane and shake everywhere and not use the turret.

Comment

Gave it a try with the bots. It's cool, very nice node layout, but there's something missing that I can't quite put into words. Uniqueness, I guess. Maybe it's just the dreary distancefog, but it seemed so... familiar. Generic, a combination of several existing maps.

I felt the map could be a whole lot smaller, like 25% of what it is now. Giant architecture, giant trees, loads of walking around... Sure, there's jumppads to help with the walking, but that's just a workaround for the fact that there's too much uneventful space. Better to remove that uneventful space.

A side effect of the map's size is the prevalence of distancefog, both visually and in gameplay. I cannot see across the central gap, even though nothing is blocking my view. I can attack faraway nodes while hiding the fog. If the map were smaller, stuff would come into view more naturally and the forest would look much better.

I had trouble driving the Scorpions. They seem to spin out of control a lot more easily than the regular Scorps. It's cool that you try to give them a bit of purpose, though.

The nodes seem to hold pretty much the same weapons everywhere. There's always 100+ link, AVRiL and some hitscan. I don't imagine a generic distribution like that lends itself to varied encounters. It's always the same pattern upon respawning: whip out link to heal the node, switch to AVRiL while dodgejumping to some vantage point, all the while spamming rockets up in the air to catch some vehicle as it comes into view, switch to shock when someone approaches on foot. I am not "challenged" this way, not forced to seek other strategies.

Comment

No map can float everyone's boat 8)

Anywho, the changes you describe wanting sound a lot like what I've done in previous maps...shorter node distances, varied lockers, etc. Try out ONS-Tropic-32p, it should fit your style better.

I'm not sure what you mean about it being unoriginal though; no map besides this one has crippled health powernodes besides the Maelstroms and SPAMBOX. Those maps are uniformly crippled nodes though - Silva uses two different healths. Also, the terrain makes it a pretty unique map in the sense that there is tons of cover for vehicles to use from the trees, but they need skill in order to keep them from crashing and become sitting targets.

Originally posted by Kinetik
                            Toward the middle nodes somewhere, when a bot uses a turret gun it will go all insane and shake everywhere and not use the turret.
                            I've seen this too now. They use ones elsewhere fine, but the waterfall node turret they just spin around like idiots. Silly bots :noob: Epic makes it hard on us to path these **** things. Has anyone seen this particular bug before?

Comment

Originally posted by hunterwiebush
                              I'm not sure what you mean about it being unoriginal though; no map besides this one has crippled health powernodes besides the Maelstroms and SPAMBOX. Those maps are uniformly crippled nodes though - Silva uses two different healths. Also, the terrain makes it a pretty unique map in the sense that there is tons of cover for vehicles to use from the trees, but they need skill in order to keep them from crashing and become sitting targets.
                              Hunter I think you're just a victim of your own reputation ... I'm guessing Xyx meant more to say that visually, Silva doesn't bug your eyes out the way Tropic, Maelstrom, and especially Shyron did the first few times they get played. Playing it 32-player I quickly forget about that because the map plays so well. If it does fall a little short of the mark you've set with your other maps in the eye-candy department, that probably begins and ends with the limitations of the forest canopy theme and the fittingly drab skybox.

Now certainly the narrow viewable angle for the skybox is a hindrance with the amount of distancefog that's in the map, but ... couldn't there be an excuse for at least a little something more than a sun breaking through the fog? Perhaps a thick, drifting cloud cover up top, and likewise the moving projectors to give the shadow effect on the ground, something along the lines of Severance...?

Can't wait to see the vehicle accelerators dropped into the caves. (Though I still say you oughta go nuts with it and toss in a vehicle tele on each side, just for giggles. )

Comment

Working...
                              X