Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Map Release, looking for feedback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Map Release, looking for feedback.

I recently finished my first map release and have been posting it on various Unreal sites, trying to get feedback and ideas on how I could make it better and such. I was directed here by a friend on another forum that said that this was a great place to get the kind of attention for my map that I'm looking for.

[EDIT] Forgot the screenshots, thank you for reminding me.
    Screen 1
    Screen 2
    Screen 3

Map Download:
    DM-SP-Slavestate

This is my first Unreal map but don't let that stop you from giving it a shot. I've worked really hard and used this map as a learning experience to absorb as much of Ued as I can. Not to brag but I think the map is pretty good and fun to play. The map is a small to medium sized with a future/sci-fi/tech look. I added some eye candy but it makes sense within the context of the map's theme. There is basicaly three stories; basement, floor, upper level. Weapon choices include rocket launcher, minigun, flak cannon, shock rifle and link gun. In the basement there is a wildcard base that serves up either UDamage, Super Shield, Keg O Health or normal health pickup. Please feel free to comment as I would welcome any feedback, positive or negitive. Thank you for considering this map and if you download, I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed createing it.

~suckpump

I have one tip for you, to get people to test your map, post some screens so people can know what they are downloading before they do it.

Comment

Hi! Congrats to your first map.
      Some critics:
      Why are there blocking volumes everywhere?
      The zones in the upper two levels are quite useless since the architecture is quite open.
      The projector in the lower middle area needs slightly more range.
      The framerate in the lower middle area is terrible make one big emitter and not 8 small ones. The same counts for the other emitters.
      You don't need to use that many polys on the fans bsp cause it is hidden by the static mesh anyway.

Suggestion: Use "project onto particles" for the fans

If you need more information about mapping look at www.wiki.beyondunreal.com

Comment

First of, thank you for trying out my map and especially for giving some great feedback. I really appreciate the time you took to get back to me.

Why are there blocking volumes everywhere?
        Because I kept getting a weird collision problem. I checked the collision of the brushes and it was fine but I kept falling through them, down to the next floor or out of the map entirely. I tried several different ways of fixing this and the only thing that worked was creating blocking volumes around the troubled areas.

The zones in the upper two levels are quite useless since the architecture is quite open.
        I wasn't aware that those zones were useless, thank you for pointing that out.

The projector in the lower middle area needs slightly more range.
        Is it not projecting on the ceiling on your system? I am alomost positive it does on mine because I remember tweaking with the projector trying to get just the perfect amount of range. I'll certainly look into it. Maybe I screwed it up somehow. Thank you!

The framerate in the lower middle area is terrible make one big emitter and not 8 small ones. The same counts for the other emitters.
        Emitters is an area that I admit I need some practice with. I'll see if I can find a good tutorial online for emitters and fix that. I guess I'm a bit spoiled in the fact that my system only shows a small FPS drop down there. I need to pay more attention to what other systems, the average system if you will, has for specs. I'm really glad you pointed that out.

You don't need to use that many polys on the fans bsp cause it is hidden by the static mesh anyway.

Suggestion: Use "project onto particles" for the fans.
        I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean that I can lower the number of polys in the fan static mesh? I apoligize for my ignorance here. If it's not to much trouble, would you mind elaborating?

I really appreciate your input. If you had to give my map a rating between 1 (worst) and 10 (best), what would you give it?

Thanks again!

Comment

Awesome Map! I like it! Here's some suggestions:

Fix the blocking here:

And this might also need some:

Great map!

Comment

The map looks great. 10 points for the graphics.

But It looks a little bit muddy in the distance, because of the fog. Maybe with an increased DistanceFogEnd and with a negative DistanceFogStart it would look sharper? I'm not really a fan of distance-Fog, so maybe I am biased.

btw, what does the SP in the map name stand for?

Comment

To eviL<3:

Thank you for the volume suggestions. I'm adding that to my list of fixes-to-do. And I also really appreciate the compliments!

To madspacemarine:
              I'm glad you like the look of the map. I really tried hard to balance form with function. Personaly I love the look of distance fog as I like the mood it can create. This afternoon I'll open up Slavestate in Ued and see what it looks like with the fog adjusted like you said. It might be the thing that really makes the textures and lights look their best.

The SP stands for suckpump buddy! I have to distinguish my maps from the masses in some small way right?

Thanks, both of you for the help and suggestions and I appreciate your time.

Comment

"I'll see if I can find a good tutorial online for emitters and fix that."

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ParticleSystems

"Do you mean that I can lower the number of polys in the fan static mesh?"

No. I'm talking about the CSG/BSP.

Comment

Hey, this one looks quite good, tbh. Sorta like Gestalt, but with more aesthetical lighting.

Comment

The lighting around the lights (horrible sentence :noob: ) looks a bit weird, IMHO it's lighting the ceiling a bit too much. Might need two supersmall-radius-lights next to the lamp, and one bigger, softer light at further distance.
                    Other shots look good. Nice use of the mech meshes, :up:

Will download and post feedback.

Comment

very nice brush work and theme, the map seems a bit to vertical and not well enough connected. There's no benefit to using the lifts no means to lift jump at the top and no rewards on the platform they take you to.

Some jump pads or something are needed to help speed up game play. As is it's a little slow, but I am very impressed that this is your first map. You've got some real skills there, looking forward to the next.

Comment

From the small screens I think it looks rather good for a first (released) map. Keep it up. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Suckpump
                          (...) Because I kept getting a weird collision problem. I checked the collision of the brushes and it was fine but I kept falling through them, down to the next floor or out of the map entirely. I tried several different ways of fixing this and the only thing that worked was creating blocking volumes around the troubled areas.
                          BSP holes can be fixed but it can be tedious to find the brush that causes them...
                          Short time ago there was a large thread about this, maybe it helps (search for "bsp woes").
                          In general the main causes seem to be unaligned brushes and complicated (intersected/vertex-edited) brushes. In that thread there's a good pic how you can "break" a brush per vertex-editing...

Ah, gotta play your map. Later

Comment

-pics removed-

just suggestions:

Sticky cables:
                            Make a blocking volume of about the size in the pic, and disable player-
                            collision of the cables, so you _could_ walk there if you wanted to without
                            getting sticky collision.

Shadow below lift:
                            Here, either make the lift not cast shadow, or move it out of the way
                            when rebuilding the lighting. Don't know which one's the proper solution.

fps
                            Been mentioned before, VERY BAD FPS when looking at the fans and emitters,
                            same with the fans on the walls.

Sounds
                            One Ambientsound in the base areas is too loud & very annoying. Especially
                            because when looking around I'd expect to see a machine or something like
                            that, but I didn't see anything that could cause that sound in the first place...
                            Tone it down to half the volume and it will feel alright.

I'm not sure about weapon placement yet. Gotta play it some more...
                            edit.: put a bioRifle in please. And imho the wildcard base is too much for a 1on1-sized map. I'd put a 50 shield or weapon there (i.e. RL or shock, and put a bioRifle where the other weapon was)

2nd edit.: i'd suggest
                            - mini or shock, where the RL is now
                            - shock or RL, where the wildcard base is now
                            - a BioRifle, where the mini or where the shock is now

However geometry looks nice and feels fine to play. Clean, and nice shapes. :up:

edit.: yeah, almost forgot to mention, for a first map this is a blast :up:. If you fix the (rather small) issues it will be a keeper for me, for sure.

Comment

I agree with fftunes the FPS is really bad when close to the fans, I also found a small clipping issue with the lift(See Below), but I have to say I am really impressed with the map considering it is your first map.

I wish you the best of luck with your map.

Comment

Working...
                              X