Clear All

"Level Up" - new Mutator

Name: Level Up
    Version: Beta (v1.00, 02-09-06)
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: Mutator
    Homepage: http://www.jsterj.com

Hi everyone.

Level Up is a mutator and works well with any of the standard UT2004 Gametypes except for Mutant. It does not change the rules and/or goals of any of the gametypes, only the abilities and statistics of the players and bots.

You can choose one of three possible player types, each with different attributes, weapons, and abilities.

1. GRUNT (Short Range Combatant)
    2. SOLDIER (Medium Range Combatant)
    3. SNIPER (Long Range Combatant)

As you kill other players, you gain experience points and advance to higher “levels.” With each new level earned you gain increased attributes such as max health, speed, health regeneration, etc. Reaching level 6 or 7 gains you a special ability. All of these attributes and abilities are based on your player type and level. There is also a bonus points system which gains you access to even more, such as additional weapons, heals, etc.

For a more in depth description, screenshots, downloads, etc., please visit my webpage at http://www.jsterj.com

This is my first attempt at coding for unreal, so any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, or compliments would be greatly appreciated, either in this forum or the forums I have set up on my website. This is the first version I'm releasing and it is definitely a work in progress. I am also hosting a server running Level Up, the details are on my webpage.

Thanks!

The following keys are automatically bound when playing Level Up:
    You do realize some people don't like their binds being overwritten

And how did you manage to butcher weapon numbering?
    AR is weapon 1, Shield is 2, TL is 3, etc, etc

Comment

Hmmm <.< sounds fun

Comment

Originally posted by Kyllian
        The following keys are automatically bound when playing Level Up:
        You do realize some people don't like their binds being overwritten

And how did you manage to butcher weapon numbering?
        AR is weapon 1, Shield is 2, TL is 3, etc, etc
        Concerning the key binds, I tried to choose keys I thought would be used infrequently by default. The 'F' key binding was actually an oversight on my part, I had changed it in my own settings at some point and didn't realize. I thought that it was unused. I chose 'F' because it was close to WASD, which a lot of player's use as their movement keys. I am definitely looking for suggestions on which keys would be the most appropriate to use though. I just checked the default key mappings and I believe that 'F7', 'INSERT', 'HOME', and 'PAGEUP', are unused by default. The 'bonus point menu' and 'change player type' commands are used infrequently and could be bound to any key, but the toggle for the special skills needs to be readily accessible I think.

As for the weapon numbering, that was intentional. The original weapon layouts were quite different than they are now. I made a lot of changes to balance players and gameplay. The original layouts caused several weapons to stack in the same slots, which I thought made it unclear just how many weapons the players were given. So I added code to sort the weapons into the first 5 or 6 slots. I use the scroll on my mouse to switch weapons so this was never an issue for me. However, I am finding that many people use the number keys to switch weapons and this screws them up. I tested the new weapon layouts without the weapon sorting and it does not appear to be an issue anymore, only the sniper rifle and redeemer share a slot, and that's not a big deal. So I will probably do away with the sorting on the next version.

I appreciate the feedback though, it's easy to lose sight of things after staring at code for weeks. It's good to find out what other people think.

Comment

For the keybinds, if you were to provide a message on screen saying something about the 3 binds not being set instead of atuo-binding, that would be better

Or even a "temporary" key like UT2004RPG has
          I haven't played that in a while, but I remember that the L key brings up the leveling menu without overwriting the existing bind
          Actually, I just double checked my Ini, your mod doesn't actually overwrite any binds, but it can interfere with whatever is bound

I, for one, have specific keys bound to F/F5/PgDown
          F=Use
          F5=mymenu (I've had UTcomp overwrite this despite having it other places, so I leave it)
          PageDown=Switchteam(this interfered with LvlUp, it not only let me change class, but also switched my teams)

I would suggest setting up some actual commands that players can re-bind to whichever keys they want to

Comment

You are correct, I guess "autobound" was the wrong terminology to use. One of the interactions I set up looks for those keypresses and then sends a MutateString which is recognized by my mutator class and calls the appropiate functions. The actual key binds are not overwritten, but they are ignored while playing the mod. I like your suggestion about setting up the actual commands, but being a noob to the world of unrealscript I'm not sure how. I will research it though and hopefully get it implemented. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

There's always UDN(Epic) and UnrealWiki(BeyondUnreal)

Comment

Working...
              X