Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cobra F.A.N.G.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Learned dat from my man scot

    Comment


      #32
      OK y'all. I 've reached a point where I need some code help... I need vehicle code that will allow me to switch driver weapons or weapon sets. Many of my GI Joe vehicles, including the FANG, will have more than two sets of weapons that the driver can fire. Moreover, many of the weapons are not mounted next to each other. This causes the need to redesignate the firing bone for different weapons... something I've not yet seen in any code. As stated earlier, the FANG itself will have the main machine gun hemisphere thingie in the front, then 4 air-to-air missiles mounted on the landing skid frames, and 1 bomb under the main hull.

      That brings me to another need for the code: I need to limit the number of heavy ammunition a vehicle can carry, rather than design it so that it can fire unlimited missiles. What you see is what you get. Even for vehicle bullets I am thinking of making it have a very large limit.

      If you can help, want to help, or know someone who can/wants to help, then I would be very grateful. PLus, I believe this is shaping up to be a rather nice mod. If you're interested in being involved in the mod, whatever you would like to contribute, let me know.

      Thanks!

      Comment


        #33
        You might try talking to UT2004Addict. The Harpie he made has 3 types of ammo that you switch between and an ammo limit.

        It probably wouldn't be to hard to adapt that to be different weapons instead of just ammo types.

        OT: Do you have any idea when you will make some of the realy big vehicles that would be fitting replacments for the Leviethan?

        Comment


          #34
          YEAH!!!! Make the TerrorDOme!

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by q03
            You might try talking to UT2004Addict. The Harpie he made has 3 types of ammo that you switch between and an ammo limit.

            It probably wouldn't be to hard to adapt that to be different weapons instead of just ammo types.

            OT: Do you have any idea when you will make some of the realy big vehicles that would be fitting replacments for the Leviethan?
            Cool, thanks! I'll look into the Harpie code first, and then if I can't figure it out I'll ask UT2004Addict. Really big vehicles... In GI Joe, the only vehicles that would compensate for the Leviathon are ones that maybe have a huge massive dammage cannon, such as:
            GI Joe LAW
            or definately this one: Cobra Maggot
            or perhaps this one: GI Joe Persuader

            But I already have the Killer WHALE, which is heavily armed. But to compensate for its travelling abilities (it is a tank-sized hovercraft that can go over water too), it will have only the health of a normal tank, and not the health of the Leviathon. Also I made it a bit hard to control, since it is big and cumbersome.

            The Terror Dome is definately in the plans, as a base or building. I plan on incorporating the non-vehicle playsets as parts of the maps. The cool thing for most of these is that I can improvise on their design, since a lot of them were only half done, or constructed merely as a toy. The GI Joe headquarters, for example, is basically just a wall with lights and guns. The interior is exposed, and the prison cell is right next to the communications station... seems like a security leak to me. The terror dome looks like it could extend into an underground facility, which would enable the storage of more vehicles. The mobile command center could be a base as well, but since it is supposed to move... I dunno. I think the maps will have to be gianormous, at any rate.

            Comment


              #36
              For a Levi replacment I was thinking of something like Rolling Thunder

              With the cluster bombs and main guns it would easly be a match for the Levi.

              Comment


                #37
                yes, you may be on to something... But what about the two detatchments? I think someone had an ambulance-looking vehicle that spawned other vehicles or something...

                Comment


                  #38
                  How about THIS : http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/05/rhino/

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Scot_G
                    The Terror Dome is definately in the plans, as a base or building. I plan on incorporating the non-vehicle playsets as parts of the maps. The cool thing for most of these is that I can improvise on their design, since a lot of them were only half done, or constructed merely as a toy. The GI Joe headquarters, for example, is basically just a wall with lights and guns. The interior is exposed, and the prison cell is right next to the communications station... seems like a security leak to me. The terror dome looks like it could extend into an underground facility, which would enable the storage of more vehicles. The mobile command center could be a base as well, but since it is supposed to move... I dunno. I think the maps will have to be gianormous, at any rate.
                    I could help with mapping. Do you have any joe vs cobra textures?

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Cool, Scot - I downloaded it, even though I don't have much time to test right now (yeah, still stuck with work, even tonight).

                      I actually had one of these way back when. Or rather, my younger brother did and I just stole it from him when I wanted to see it :P

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Maagnus2k7
                        I could help with mapping. Do you have any joe vs cobra textures?
                        If you want to help with mapping, that would be nice, but I have to see what you are capable of. I personally just don't have the time to do maps, but I have all kinds of ideas...

                        Maps should be done in a way that benefits the style of play of the overall game. UT2004 is a first Person Shooter with a slight twist of Real-Time Strategy. The RTS portion is limited to only giving orders to your teammates. But what if you gave orders to the base operators or non-game agents who send in supplies... Anyway, it would be more like StarCraft but with 3D and the ability to fight from your characters' points of view.

                        Maps are going to be really cool. If you've ever watched an episode of the old GI Joe cartoons, then you'll know how crazy some of their battles were. Some maps will take place in a metropolis, where the skyscrapers have hidden Cobra defenses. Or in a remote forest, where Joe and Cobra have clashed during the search for a recently discovered powerful ancient artifact. There will be battles in swamps, in the sea, on the shores, on islands, and in open water. Battles on dry land, in the snow, on mountains, in canyons, through forrests, on open desserts, in ruined 3rd country cities and fake suburbs (like the one Dr. Mindbender created). The maps will need to be big, and yet not repetitious at all. Some Cobra bases will be made in hidden caves or on a remote island like a James Bond movie. It looks normal on the outside, but under the surface is a complex networks of man-made caverns and mine shafts running through the area. Other cobra bases will simply be a Terror Dome on the shore of a lake or swamp. Or perhaps in the thick of a forest. Maybe I could design some to be adapted to deep-sea operations, so it would stick out of the water, but it would actually be anchored by stilts.

                        So... let me know what you think. I've spent a lot of time thinking about all this, but it mainly keeps coming back to the important standards I've set for this whole mod:
                        Make GI Joe what it was back when the small action figures were first popular.
                        Make the vehicles and playsets more accomidating to life-proportioned people, rather than 4" plastic action figures. (which means that the cockpits of planes and turrets will not be swolen - see the Rattler for example of swolen)
                        Make it fun to play.

                        I want it so people can choose whether they want to have an engaging challenge or just re-enact their favorite GI Joe episodes, or even set it up so they can "play GI Joes". Maybe there can be a mode of play where the players can design a map from different types of pre-made terrain, and place various "playsets" throughout. That's what I used to do with my friends... we'd haul all our GI Joe stuff outside and set it up for hours... then we'd play for like 20 minutes battling. We never had any issues with which stuff was whose, or who wanted to be Cobra and who wanted to be GI Joe. We did have issues like:
                        "You already used that rocket. You can't use it again. It's destroyed."
                        "Yeah, but I pretended they made more rockets after a while. I'm just using the old one to play for the new one. You can do the same thing."
                        "O... ok. Can I do that with my skystriker jet you destroyed?"
                        "Sure, but with vehicles it takes longer to get new ones. So, in a few minutes"
                        "Ok."

                        So yeah, there's a lot on my mind about all this.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Scot_G
                          Make the vehicles and playsets more accomidating to life-proportioned people, rather than 4" plastic action figures. (which means that the cockpits of planes and turrets will not be swolen - see the Rattler for example of swolen)
                          I considered the "swollen" thing to be an advantage to your project. Unreal models won't let themselves be squeezed into tight cockpits any better than action figures.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            yes, but the unreal models are not exactly going to be in the mod by default... kinda like the Clone Bandits mod. Eventually, there will be GI Joe characters and maps to play these vehicles on. The vehicles are pre-designed to be used with a more proportionate character, with more than one driving pose. But this is a good initial testing ground to see how they bump into each other, how they drive, how they are lit up, how the weapons might work... Right now I'm not concerned with weather or not the UT04 characters fit well into the vehicles, as long as they can get in and drive for now. Ever look closely at a character inside the Hellbender? It's gawd awfull. I'm not trying to run a simulation, but once the decision was made to go with life-proportioned people instead of plastic action figures, I had to make the vehicles that way, too.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Scot_G
                              We did have issues like:
                              "You already used that rocket. You can't use it again. It's destroyed."
                              "Yeah, but I pretended they made more rockets after a while. I'm just using the old one to play for the new one. You can do the same thing."
                              "O... ok. Can I do that with my skystriker jet you destroyed?"
                              "Sure, but with vehicles it takes longer to get new ones. So, in a few minutes"
                              "Ok."

                              So yeah, there's a lot on my mind about all this.


                              :haha: Thats funny!


                              "Yeah, but I pretended they made more rockets after a while. I'm just using the old one to play for the new one. You can do the same thing."

                              "O... ok. Can I do that with my skystriker jet you destroyed?"


                              "Sure, but with vehicles it takes longer to get new ones. So, in a few minutes"

                              "Ok."
                              :haha:


                              I can help out with the mapping as i said. Do you have textures? I saw some of the old G.I.Joe cartoons one day on boomerang but i see the new ones alot.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Mapping is something that that mod needs. bGI:JoeModelswithoutMap=No.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X