Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-OxidationALPHA2 [Comments for layout 2][Pics][D/L][UPDATE!]

Alright, whipped this up...

A small DM map with 2/2.5/3 (not quite sure myself lol) floors.

And it has sucky textures/lighting/etc ATM, as it's only a layout. So don't whine about those.

Post your comments/suggestions to this thread. Thanks.

The pics;

[shot]http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/2789/oxidation18bk.jpg[/shot]
    http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/9...dation29xw.jpg
    http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/6...dation38vm.jpg
    http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/7...dation40xx.jpg
    http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/8...dation59mf.jpg

Download [ALPHA1]:
    www.the-musnet.com

EDIT! ALPHA2!

Download [ALPHA2]:
    www.the-musnet.com

will d/l and check it out.

MsM

Comment

Thanks in advance dude.

No one else?

Comment

hi mate,

Had a good run around your map. Is the map going to be 1on1 or DM? It has a nice flow and layout style of DM-Rankin, lots of ramps and an second level which plays nicely, however it feels the layout is only half done, as if the map could be bigger. Just out of interest what theme you going for?

Ok the central platform area is cool, would be a nice place to put a decent pickup or a high end weapon. However you can easily escape from that room by using the duct opposite, i so how would make that a little harder to get to, makes it a risk going for that pickup on that platform. I'm not keen on those windows underneath it, i feel they hurt the flow and should be wide open parts, which join the room behind which btw only has one entrance way. The lift in that room, which leads to the platform is good, but because most people lift jump some pickup or goodie should be hiding at the top. Where the lift is now, and where the room just suddenly stops i feel could open into another room, or some kinda of corridor system which could lead into another room. Going down the ramp from the platform room is a nice touch, however it leads to a very long open corridor, which would be awesome place for shock whores, or the outside area which could be used for another area, which could lead to the upper floor. The upper level itself hasn't go much going for it, if you go up on the larger lift it opens into a large corridor like room, which leads to a door (which should be for the outer doorways) into another small box room, then back into the platform room.

I personally think this map has a great strength to be a good quality, old style two level DM or TDM map. However it needs to be expanded and needs more thought and work in the lower back room and long corridor, and a fair amount of work on the upper level.

I hope you stick with it mate, i'm looking forward to this, if it all works out :hat:

MsM

Comment

Thanks for the very good reply.

The theme is going to be something like DM-Injector. Not sure if 1on1 or Normal DM yet.

I'll make the duct harder the get into.

What should I do with the windows under the platform? From what I understood from your post, is that I'd make them doors to the room behind?

So the smaller lift/jumppad should have a liftjump possibility? Or should I remove the lift and make a new room that connects to the room that has the moving door?

With the ramp you mean the downgoing hall that connects with the room with the lift and the doors to the outside area? What do ya think I should do with the large room? Separate it into two smaller rooms? And I'm not quite sure how to get a passageway to the upper levels from the outside area, but I'll think up something.

"opens into a large corridor like room, which leads to a door (which should be for the outer doorways) into another small box room"
          So I should remove the door, and add doors to the doorways that let you into the outer area?

And I'll try to get something done on the upper level.

In the next version, I'll add weapons and pickups. Maybe some more BSP details and ask for more comments.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski
            Thanks for the very good reply.

The theme is going to be something like DM-Injector. Not sure if 1on1 or Normal DM yet.

I'll make the duct harder the get into.

What should I do with the windows under the platform? From what I understood from your post, is that I'd make them doors to the room behind?

So the smaller lift/jumppad should have a liftjump possibility? Or should I remove the lift and make a new room that connects to the room that has the moving door?

With the ramp you mean the downgoing hall that connects with the room with the lift and the doors to the outside area? What do ya think I should do with the large room? Separate it into two smaller rooms? And I'm not quite sure how to get a passageway to the upper levels from the outside area, but I'll think up something.

"opens into a large corridor like room, which leads to a door (which should be for the outer doorways) into another small box room"
            So I should remove the door, and add doors to the doorways that let you into the outer area?

And I'll try to get something done on the upper level.

In the next version, I'll add weapons and pickups. Maybe some more BSP details and ask for more comments.

N/P about feedback mate, you scratch my back and i scratch yours:heart: .

The windows under the platform i would make into wide doorways, the smaller lift i would add lift jump to. The other lift i would move somewhere else, and have a curved or small corridor leading into a new room. Yes mate the down going long corridor/room, it needs breaking up and to be different sizes. As for an passage way, i would use the outside area with a terrain courtyard or something, have a rampway leading onto the 2nd level. The door itself i would move to the outer doorways, maybe just have one door working and the the other half down. I would also put in some "fake doors", to make it look like the level has more ways out. If i was you bud i would seriously check out DM-Rankin's layout, this would really help your map blossom.

Hope that helps matey.

MsM

Comment

Alright. I'll make some changes now.

I'll try to make the outside area like a courtyard (with open roof and stuff)...

I was thinking of removing the narrow corridor and putting the larger lift there taking you to the topmost level.

Then more rooms and the liftjump thing, can do.

Maybe a skybox change too...

Thanks again.

[Edit:]

Is this too open? (Don't mind the floating door, used it to make a mesh for a mover...)
              [shot]http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/424/oxidationcourtyard14ge.jpg[/shot]

Comment

hmm its alright, i was thinking of a proper outsdie terrain area. Some which is just as wide maybe as the last door, but it has some depth too it. Maybe you could link the outside area with a new room?

MsM

Comment

Originally posted by Yournan2000
                  Some which is just as wide maybe as the last door, but it has some depth too it.
                  Sorry, but now I'm not following. :bulb:

What last door?

Comment

Sorry, but now I'm not following. :bulb:

What last door?
                    Sorry mate, the two doors together which lead outside. I think the terrrain area should be just as wide as the one on the left hand side (if your outside) and the terrrain stretch all the way to the end of the map.

MsM

Comment

Do you mean;

Or if both are wrong maybe you should draw (yeah, maybe I'd understand a pic better) too.

Comment

neither mate lol:haha: . Stand outside in front of the two doorways. The terrain room should be there, the terrain room itself should stretch down to the right hand side.
                        Its sorta like you last piccy, except the walkway should be on the opposite side, going into the upper level.

MsM

Comment

Ah alright... I'll try to get something whipped up.

Comment

Ah alright... I'll try to get something whipped up.

lol, ok bud:up:

MsM

Comment

Okay, sorry for the late update, but here it is, alpha2;

http://www.the-musnet.com/downloads/...tionALPHA2.zip

I added some terrain, couple of more rooms and pickups... :bulb:

Comment

Working...
                              X