Is a laptop the way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by =Unreal=Coward
    the thing is dood if i buy an alienware i only have to pay about 41 to 56 bucks a month comapared to shelling out 200 bucks or even 500 bucks a month to buy parts to make my own computer.
    well uh... you know that the 200-500 a month for custom is um... only like 2-5 months right? as opposed to alienware where you may pay 36+ months... right?

i have a custom rig planned and its 1600... only second to the newer and greatest... and most expensive... and the 2500 system i planned out is second to none but the best... i can find the specs somewhere around here but thats not needed... custom is all about shopping around to get the most for your money though

Comment

ya but i like using high quality products and made for gamers products like Cosair's XMS edition or BFG or EVGA 6800 series. Also it would take me 1 or so years just buy the parts i need to build my rig if i tried buying one thing or more that would cost from 150 dollars to 200 dollars. I'm not a huge fan of SLI since most SLI systems actually decrease in performance since most games aren't prepared for such technology yet. Also I only trust newegg.com they got the best prices early than written shipping and always have what I need in stock.

Comment

Get a desktop. Can always take it with you with only a small amount of work. It will also work better in the future.

Comment

No (a laptop is not the way to go)

Comment

I only use my laptops for music, work and film watching......for games they teh suck:down:

Comment

Originally posted by =Unreal=Coward
              the thing is dood if i buy an alienware i only have to pay about 41 to 56 bucks a month comapared to shelling out 200 bucks or even 500 bucks a month to buy parts to make my own computer.
              You don´t want to buy Alienware if you´re concerned about prices.

You´ll spare yourself hundreds of dollars by not buying prebuilt computers like Alienware or Compaq or other expensive trash.

Comment

As for "is a laptop the way to go" question is, way to go where?
                What do you think you'll achieve having one?

If not a lot then don't waste your money on one (unless you have money to burn of course).

As already posted, they're expensive compared to building your own PC and very difficult to upgrade afterwards too.

As for building your own, it can be just as expensive but all the BRANDED pre-built systems have flaws - such as you have to buy brand-specific parts (memory etc) when you do want to upgrade.

Best way to go is to build your own system using 'custom' bits; you need

Case
                Mobo
                RAM
                Power
                HDDs
                GFX Card
                CDROM
                Keyboard
                Mouse
                Op Sys

The guys here will argue and argue all day about which componments are best but you want

As much memory as you can afford (1 or 2gb or more!)
                Fastest processor you can afford
                Biggest HDD you can afford

Whack them all together in a case you like the look of, add a shed load of neon lights and get some banging speakers

Have fun and post here for any assistance you may require in which parts to choose

Comment

I agree with Badger_fruit, put your money into a desktop system, there are plenty of OEM vendors about who can build a machine from the parts you specify quite easily, or you can DIY. If you want to play with your friend and kick his ***, does he have the internet? If not then perhaps you should look at a barebones system, where the case is about the size of a games console. It wont be easy to upgrade (size restrictions) but alongside a TFT/LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard transport wont be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by badger_fruit
                    As much memory as you can afford (1 or 2gb or more!
                    I´d rather concentrate on 1 Gb and get the fastest memory available, isn´t DDR2 566 Mhz pretty **** fast? 2 Gb don´t hurt but you won´t use most of it until UT2007.

Comment

Working...
                    X