Is a laptop the way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a laptop the way to go?

Like most people I can't afford a 2 thousand dollar computer.
    So I know you guys will protest but I'm getting a Dell computer. So what I need from you guys is your opinion on if I should get a Dell 9100 (desktop} or an Dell Inspirion 6000d {laptop}.

First of all I want a laptop so I can move around with my laptop and for example go to a my friends house and kick his butt at Unreal 2004.

But secondly, I like a desktop because I can get more power for almost the same amount of money.

So here is my setup:
    Desktop: Pentium D 2.8 something proccesor, 512mb 533mhz of memory, 160gb of hard drive space, Nvidia 6800 256mb graphics, a free 17in analog flat panel display, and 15 months of Macafee.

Laptop: Pentium M 1.6ghz proccesor,1 gig of memory, 80 or 60 gig hard drive {issue with price}, ATI Radeon X300 128mb graphics, 15 months of Macafee, and a 15.4 wide screen display.

Get the desktop. They're easier to upgrade and are more reliable. Easy portability to game at a friends house is a luxury that isn't needed. Desktops aren't that hard to move around.

That said I'll give the standard recommendation of building your own. Contrary to what many think it isn't cheaper than a Dell, but You can pick the components you want, and is easier to upgrade later. In the future you may want to overclock the system to get more usable life out of it, and that's not possible with the Dell. AMD would be a better CPU choice for gaming than Intel and that's not an option with a Dell computer. Building your own computer isn't hard if you have the ability to read simple English and look at pictures .

If you're hellbent on getting a Dell don't let the forum people tell you how bad the Dells are. Dell makes a great machine at a great price. You just get what you get though, there isn't much of a upgrade path and you'll need to buy most of a new machine in the future if you want to upgrade.

Comment

Have an Inspiron 9100 UT2004 plays beautifully with Holy **** settings.

1280x800 res, looovely!

Comment

Plz use a desktop for gaming. Even though it's very powerful, after a period of time it starts heating up and eventually lagging like a horny c*nt. I'm using one too, I have to lift the back of the laptop to get the fan working better :S

You're better off with a desktop

Comment

i second building your own if youre capable of it

Comment

I want to build my own but that means I'll have to pay an average of 200 a month for parts. Sadly that isn't an option for me since I have to pay 1,589 bucks for my house every month. But I was considering buying an alienware computer maybe the Alienware Area 51-3500 which comes with an built in graphics and then I can buy a Nvidia 6800 or 6800LE.

What do you guys think about that plan and thanks for all the help guys keep it comin.

Comment

Originally posted by =Unreal=Coward
              I want to build my own but that means I'll have to pay an average of 200 a month for parts. Sadly that isn't an option for me since I have to pay 1,589 bucks for my house every month. But I was considering buying an alienware computer maybe the Alienware Area 51-3500 which comes with an built in graphics and then I can buy a Nvidia 6800 or 6800LE.

What do you guys think about that plan and thanks for all the help guys keep it comin.

I don't understand, how can you not afford computer parts, but can afford one of the most expensive prebuilts out there?:weird:

Comment

the thing is dood if i buy an alienware i only have to pay about 41 to 56 bucks a month comapared to shelling out 200 bucks or even 500 bucks a month to buy parts to make my own computer.

Comment

the thing is dood if i buy an alienware i only have to pay about 41 to 56 bucks a month comapared to shelling out 200 bucks or even 500 bucks a month to buy parts to make my own computer.

Gotcha, if your really interested in building your own, maybe you could put it on a credit card?

Comment

ya i could use a credit card but I don't like using them alot only for purchasing something that's essential like furniture like my new dell plasma t.v.

Comment

... Computer components are cheaper when you buy them yourself to make your own rig...

Compared to paying for one already built, where you get nailed for costs on putting the sucker together...

Just my $.02.

Comment

well i might build my own rig on December.

Comment

Re: Is a laptop the way to go?

Like most people I can't afford a 2 thousand dollar computer.
                          So I know you guys will protest but I'm getting a Dell computer. So what I need from you guys is your opinion on if I should get a Dell 9100 (desktop} or an Dell Inspirion 6000d {laptop}.

First of all I want a laptop so I can move around with my laptop and for example go to a my friends house and kick his butt at Unreal 2004.

But secondly, I like a desktop because I can get more power for almost the same amount of money.

So here is my setup:
                          Desktop: Pentium D 2.8 something proccesor, 512mb 533mhz of memory, 160gb of hard drive space, Nvidia 6800 256mb graphics, a free 17in analog flat panel display, and 15 months of Macafee.

Laptop: Pentium M 1.6ghz proccesor,1 gig of memory, 80 or 60 gig hard drive {issue with price}, ATI Radeon X300 128mb graphics, 15 months of Macafee, and a 15.4 wide screen display.
                          Based on these specs, FOR SURE the desktop. That vid card in the laptop absolutely blows, and is gonna leave you high and dry very very soon in terms of gameplayability on new titles.

Comment

desktop please

The only way to play Ut2k4 is on a desktop. I use a laptop with a ok vid card, it works but I wish I had a desktop. I needed to buy a laptop stand b/c the thing would melt without the added ventilation and a separate mouse and keyboard. The keys on the laptop will NOT last long if you play Ut2k4, you'll be popping off keys left and right. There are no upsides to playing video games on a laptop except for portability, even then you could get a small form factor gaming PC. Anyone who would spend 3 or 4 grand on a gaming laptop, when you could get a nice SLI desktop for that money is crazy, or is rich and can get both. Don't make the same mistake I did, get a desktop.

Comment

I have seen the light I shall get the destop. Thank you guys for showing me the light.

Comment

Working...
                              X