Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me the scoring system? THANK YOU :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Discord
    You know, I got to thinking about it... somebody ought to make a "Do The Right Thing"- style mutator for the newer team gametypes.

Possibilities:
    • +1 for stealing an enemy vehicle
    • +1 for linking up a node charger/ vehicle repairer
    • +1 for returning a friendly vehicle to full health
    • -5 for spending more than 7 seconds within a certain radius of a vehicle spawn :haha:
    • Flag grab points for piloting a manta run (difficult to do? Dunno)
    • +1 for picking up passengers :up:

Maybe some other stuff, I dunno. But anyway, if somebody was industrious enough people could start getting some credit for being team players...
    You'd also have to include points for the distance that one carrier/team took the flag from the enemy base. That'll help with this:

"Dude1 has taken the red flag!"
    "DENIED!"
    "Dude2 has captured the red flag!"

Also there could be points for protecting a carrier from those attacking him, or helping to remove defences from an enemy base before he goes in. It could all get pretty complicated :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by SWG_Victim
      You'd also have to include points for the distance that one carrier/team took the flag from the enemy base. That'll help with this:

"Dude1 has taken the red flag!"
      "DENIED!"
      "Dude2 has captured the red flag!"
      Actually, you get 5 points for grabbing the flag if the flag is captured before it's returned. So, Dude1 gets 5 and (I think) Dude 2 gets 10 in that scenario.

Heh... it only gets as complicated as you want it to. Sounds like fun to me.

Now here's an even tougher one: can anybody give the full rundown on adren awards? :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
        LOL WE have a few on our clan who can't seem to remember its not DM.

Hint: If you find yourself chasing someone (who doesn't have a flag) back to your own base instead of grabbing the flag or going after the flag carrier, you're playing too much DM and not enough CTF.
        excellent example......

Comment

I find myself doing that a lot. Just chasing down players and killing them when I'm playing vCTF. I'll sometimes hunt one player across the map just to kill him/her. I have too much of a DMer's mentality.

And as someone else has already stated points are not everything. Think about vCTF. The guys that are making most of the team's points are the skilled Manta drivers. The guy on the wing who gets to get the 15 points for capping the flag is just along for the ride. I try not to worry too much about points anyway. Just try to contribute to the team effort.

Comment

I can't believe you guys think scores are pointless. I agree that helping your team win is most important but how else is a player supposed to know if they're helping the team? Those scores clue a lot of people into the fact that the game is about controlling nodes, not defending the power-core, or just random killing. I do think it should be explained somewhere how you obtain points though, that would motivate people to build some more nodes.

Comment

nodes schmodes..i just have to be sure i'm first to the raptor...:noob:

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboozler
                I can't believe you guys think scores are pointless. I agree that helping your team win is most important but how else is a player supposed to know if they're helping the team? Those scores clue a lot of people into the fact that the game is about controlling nodes, not defending the power-core, or just random killing. I do think it should be explained somewhere how you obtain points though, that would motivate people to build some more nodes.
                Points do NOT accurately reflect your contributions to your team in any gametype.

Comment

Points do NOT accurately reflect your contributions to your team in any gametype.
                  Doesn't make them pointless though, just inaccurate. And the CTF scoring really isn't bad, most times the really helpful guys will end up with a big score.

The fix there isn't to tell people to ignore scores, the fix is to improve the scoring system. It's always going to be a little off- kilter in team games (yeah, I've been to this argument before as probably have most of us) and you shouldn never live or die by your score no matter how good the system may be... but getting the score to be more reflexive of the player's real contribution always helps and never hurts.

My $0.02, anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
                    Doesn't make them pointless though, just inaccurate. And the CTF scoring really isn't bad, most times the really helpful guys will end up with a big score.

The fix there isn't to tell people to ignore scores, the fix is to improve the scoring system. It's always going to be a little off- kilter in team games (yeah, I've been to this argument before as probably have most of us) and you shouldn never live or die by your score no matter how good the system may be... but getting the score to be more reflexive of the player's real contribution always helps and never hurts.

My $0.02, anyway...
                    Players will never function well as a team if they're only trying to improve their individual score. No matter how perfect the scoring system is, everyone on a team needs to agree that their only goal is to win.

Comment

VCTF:

0 points for navigating a mantarun through the enemy base
                      0 points for backing up your attack squad
                      0 points for knocking a player off his manta
                      0 points for calling targets for your defenses
                      0 points for damaging enemy vehicles and rendering them worthless
                      0 points for stealing enemy vehicles
                      1 point for killing somebody
                      10 points for jumping on a manta and holding the crouch button

don't forget the manta passenger occasionally link alt fire on the manta even though it's already fully healed

i think you should get +1 points for killing enemies with a stolen vehicle

Comment

Players will never function well as a team if they're only trying to improve their individual score. No matter how perfect the scoring system is, everyone on a team needs to agree that their only goal is to win.
                        I don't think anybody's ever really not trying to win. Yeah, sometimes you'll have people get lazy and start sniping... badly... but I don't think people are generally satisfied with a high score and a loss.

And the converse of that is that IF points are to be had for things that are actually useful to the team -- and this is widely known -- then the point- whores (who some would argue will never go away) will end up being a little less of a detriment.

Furthermore, if the scoreboard at least gives some general indication that you were doing helpful things, that serves as a nice encouragement for new people.

Plus, hey, I want to win as much as anybody and I've been around long enough to know when I'm messing off and when I'm not -- and it still makes me feel good to show up near the top of the scoreboard. It's kind of like, "hey, nice defense Discord ", or "way to back up the FC" or something.

I still say that rewarding people on the scoreboard for strong supporting teamwork never hurts the game and can go some distance toward improving it.

Comment

Yep, your right, I hope the UT game makers can make the scoring system better.

Comment

Working...
                          X