Has it really been five years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has it really been five years?

I simply cannot believe it. As of yesterday, it has been about five years since I joined this board -- about five years since I first held the original Unreal Tournament. That’s a little over 25% of my life.

I was but a mere middle school student when I first got that game. That box was held high above my head, very fitting for golden trophy that protruded outward. It was as if I was in A Christmas Story, or The Wonder Years, and a cheesy voice-over was about to ensue. Quickly, I cradled the box like a newborn, and ran to my PC, delicately inserting the CD-ROM – much like one would begin foreplay.

Sadly, I was subjected to the most boring installation screen ever, that was soon to be rehashed in many different games and demos to come. Although, this would only set me up for what would be, and still is, possibly the most erotic gaming experiences (out of any experience, for that matter) of my life. The critics told no lies because UT was indeed a blast.

Perhaps one might say that my lack of intimacy is derived directly from my love for Unreal Tournament and the like, but no matter – there were enough scantily clad women running around with shock rifles to get my mind off such worries. I didn’t mind that their skin matched the whites of their eyes, which in fact, contained no sign of retinas. I didn’t mind that they yelled, “Die, *****!” at me whilst subsequently taking my head off with the Sniper Rifle. Actually, it was the closest thing I had to female interaction.

There was also something about joining the UT community, not only for the game itself, but for the people as well. I recall visiting numerous forums, reading over hundreds of posts, debating over one topic – all with the same arguments and counter-arguments. Of course, we all remember such debates, popping up under infamous titles such as “witch should I buy, ut or quake3!?111111”. I never remember being more entertained by the sheer, ferociousness that each opposing side held.

That went on for a while. I for one was a middleman on the subject. I had played Quake 3 and enjoyed it, also being a small fan of Quake 2, which I played over the MSN Gaming Zone. Yes, I’m sure everyone remembers those sub-par online game clients. It’s hard to imagine that not so long ago, many games relied upon such services.

Though, it was not until Unreal Tournament 2003, that I realized I myself, had become reliant upon these very games. Online gaming, such as the aforementioned, became one my biggest addictions, and thankfully, kept me away from alcohol and drugs for all my nineteen years of life. That’s a good thing, right?

Nineteen years means I’m now at University. I am too poor to afford Unreal Tournament 2004, and doubt that anytime soon I will get the money. I am ashamed to admit this, but I have been mooching my UT fixes off the demo ever since its release. Now that I think about it, UT2004 is definitely the last “recent” shooter that my PC will be able to handle. Soon, UT2007/Envy will be released, and I will be stuck with this ancient, cream colored gaming rig.

With this in mind, I decided I needed to do well in college – or at least slightly above mediocre. And with that, I will hopefully be able to get “the job”, that everyone says naturally entails a good college education. That job that will produce the money needed to buy the ultimate gaming machine, and that job that will also reunite me with Malcom – or perhaps, reunite my rocket with his face.

This is how much I love Unreal Tournament. Here’s to another five years.

:heart:

You're pathetic.

Nice post! :up:

Comment

oh, the memories

Comment

You da man Scooby-Doo, you da man!! The Captain salutes you!
        :up:

Comment

heh... I've been here for roughly 4 years... And three accounts

Comment

I remember when I first installed the UT 99 demo on my Pentium II 450 mhz Compaq. My friends were amazed at how much better the graphics were compared to their 300 - 400 mhz machines. That day, I made the switch from console gamer to PC gamer. While I still play the Metal Gears, Marios, and Halos today, I'm mainly a PC guy...and it's all thanks to UT.

Comment

5 years huh.... thats awesome.

too bad you cant get your hands on ut2k4, such a great game.

to the post.... :up:

Comment

Originally posted by intelinmyhead
                I remember when I first installed the UT 99 demo on my Pentium II 450 mhz Compaq.
                Same here. When I purchased UT G.O.T.Y, I owned a piece of ***** Compact Presario 5441 with an AMD K6-450, 64 mb of memory and a Creative TNT2/Savage4 32M PCI graphics card. :sour: I actually had a reason to use those special textures on the second UT disk.

Comment

Originally posted by intelinmyhead
                  I remember when I first installed the UT 99 demo on my Pentium II 450 mhz Compaq. My friends were amazed at how much better the graphics were compared to their 300 - 400 mhz machines. That day, I made the switch from console gamer to PC gamer. While I still play the Metal Gears, Marios, and Halos today, I'm mainly a PC guy...and it's all thanks to UT.
                  Hehe...UT made me switch from console to PC also. I had a Compaq PII 300 mhz with some crappy built in video card so I had to play in software mode. After a few days, I went out and bought a Voodoo 2 card and have been hooked on UT ever since.

Nice post Scooby

Comment

:weird: You need another hobby dude!

:up: Congrats on the 5 years

Comment

Bah. UT games never kept ME away from alcohol.

Comment

I think you should write a book :haha::up:

Comment

Congrats

Epic should give you ut2k4 as a present 4 your 5 year jubilee on this forum.

Comment

Awesome post

Best of luck in school Scooby.

Comment

erm ok

Comment

Working...
                              X