X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN EPIC: A Gamer's Manifesto

Link:
    http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/...manifesto.html

That site lists 20 points that are very true in games, and need to be looked at. I'll list them here and how they apply to Unreal Tournament:

1. Give us A.I. that will actually outsmart us now and then.
    Well... this remains to be seen, but as that page said, the new console systems are all leaning towards making things pretty rather than smart (the dumb blonde syndrome), and i doubt Epic will want to code a bunch of AI that will only be used in 1/3 of the platforms 2k7 will be released for.
    Bad job Epic, but then again, I've NEVER been very impressed with AI for any game...

2: Give us a genre of game we've never seen before. Something that's not an FPS or an RPG or Madden NFL or...
    N/A i think. If UT stopped being a FPS, it wouldn't be UT.

3. Don't b.s. me about your graphics
    This refers to the use of cutscenes as promos for how pretty your game is. I've gotta say Epic has been really good with this. The footage we've seen so far was all being rendered real time, which says a lot. GG Epic.

4. Nipples?
    (I have no idea if that word is allowed by the filter...) This refers to the true lack of any AO (Adults Only) games. Again, N/A.

5. And on the opposite side of the nipple coin...
    They say in the article that girls would be more inclined to play games if they felt less objectified by them. All the girls in games have size triple D boobs, and wear next to nothing... I have no idea if this affects girl gamers, as I am not one... anyone with an opinion?

6. All of the new consoles will have hard drives. Use them.
    N/A.

7. Loading...
    They make the point that Nintendo-made Gamecube games have no loading time. DVD movies have no loading time. Games from 10 years ago (ie Doom1) had no loading time. Epic (IMO) is doing a fantastic job of keeping loading times to a minimum. GG Epic.

8. I understand that John Madden was raised by wild boars...
    More announcer variety, so you don't hear the same announcement 17 times per match. UT's done a decent job of this, for a psuedo-sports game.

9. Immersion and the invisible hand of God
    Invisible barriers, etc. In my experience on UT levels, its almost impossible to find tops of skyboxes, etc. At least with the built-in maps. User made maps, of course, vary. VERY GG EPIC! I'm very proud of you for this.

10. And while we're at it...
    All arbitrary barriers. Stupid doors that look like you could punch through them, but you have to go find a key, etc. Again, GG Epic.

11. And while we're still at it...
    Super-imposing words on the screen (kept to a minimum, GG Epic! Cinematic camera angles (N/A THANK GOD EPIC!). Bad voice acting (The voices rule. GG Epic)

12. Don't b.s. us on the difficulty
    Here is a slight annoyance. As you increase the difficulty, the bots get smarter to a point, at which point their aim just becomes ungodly. Shooting behind their backs, shooting from around blind corners, etc. Adding an aimbot does not make it more difficult, it makes it more irritating.

13. Don't bull**** us on the game's features
    Unlockable stuff. Like you start off with a pistol and don't get the rocket launcher till level 15. GG Epic. All guns, all the time, baby!

14. Seriously, get rid of the crates
    Here's where i would seriously like to hug someone at Epic. No UT has EVER included destructable crates that contained ammo or health. And thank GOD.

15. Stop the Short-Sighted Business B.S.
    This doesn't really apply to Epic (btw, VERY glad to see you with Midway), but this had a couple interesting facts. Did you know someone has a copyright on loading screen minigames? Did you know Nintendo has a copyright on the "+" shaped digital pad?

16. Don't use the online capability as an excuse to release broken games
    Um.... yeah... UT2004 wouldn't even work for me until the first patch came out. Let's hope 2007 will be better.

17. Don't let other features distract from gaming
    GG EPIC!!! Stats be damned!

18. Don't use online play as an excuse to bleed us dry
    We'll be watching very carefully when you put UT2007 on the XBOX and PS3... if you charge for downloadable levels, extra characters, etc. you will have one ticked off group of gamers. But you probably won't, so GG so far! (I know the XBOX Live is a yearly subscription, but that's not what i'm talking about)

19. NO MORE JUMPING PUZZLES IN FPS GAMES
    GG EPIC! Only that one part of that one DM map who's name i can't remember, and even that is plainly obvious where you're going to land.

20. Horizontal consoles have been a curse for as long as gaming has been around. I'm not playing another game until I get a machine I can stand on its side. My entertainment center only has three inches of free space and flat consoles are the backstabbing Judas in my life.
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

-----------

Anyways, overall GG Epic! I know a lot of this applied more to FPS's that were singleplayer in nature, but still, Epic has moved around most of these with relative ease, and that needs to be applauded. Now, fix up that AI and we'll be all set! :up:

They didn't have crates, however, we did end up with the other FPS cliché of explosive barrels. But even those added to strategy in many maps.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
      They didn't have crates, however, we did end up with the other FPS cliché of explosive barrels. But even those added to strategy in many maps.
      amusing, cuz exploding barrels goes all the way back to one of the very first mainstream FPS's 10 years ago. (doom)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that was mostly a satire piece, although a few points ring true.

Ie. there is no physical way to get rid of load times in a PC game unless you manufacture the game on a chip. Even then, there's load time but it's un-noticeable by people.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
          Like Junkyard... PERFECTLY placed explosive barrels:up:

EDIT: that's AS-Junkyard

Comment

Originally posted by Iceboy2003
            I'm pretty sure that was mostly a satire piece, although a few points ring true.

Ie. there is no physical way to get rid of load times in a PC game unless you manufacture the game on a chip. Even then, there's load time but it's un-noticeable by people.
            A lot of the points made are true, however. And although you can't do anything to completely eliminate load times, some games do this much better than others. Look at Halo. Any given map takes three seconds to load.

Comment

stats aren't THAT bad

i kinda enjoyed them

but then again, i don't have to care anymore if i do bad at times or have to belittle myself to spamming to get more stat points and such

Comment

Originally posted by Iceboy2003

It was definately satire, but it made some very very good points.

Comment

Tbh I'd like to see smaller chested women in games. I'd also wouldn't mind seeing hispanics and asians in UT.

Comment

Id like to see more destructable environments... like in that game red faction... where you could blow holes through things. They didn't utilize it very well in that game but it was so cool. Like id like to see at the ned of an onslaught game for the entire battlefield to have massive craters and **** in it. i think that would be really cool

Comment

Some games dont need load times because they are single player. You are only in a small area, the rest can afterload. UT you have players spawning everywhere in the map, thus, it all needs to be ready.

I too would like to be able to blow things apart more. Have a wall in the way, let me get my rockets after that bad boy. Etc, more destruction = more fun

Currently some maps have things that open but dont look like it, and things that look like doors but dont open:bulb:
                      Anyway, really anticipating 2k7

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming
                        Some games dont need load times because they are single player. You are only in a small area, the rest can afterload. UT you have players spawning everywhere in the map, thus, it all needs to be ready.
                        That makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                          That makes no sense.
                          It makes sense to me. Single-player games can "load in the background" when new areas are near to you, but online multiplayer games can't have the players loading things at different times on their own, otherwise the multiplayer aspect of the game would just not be able to support the interaction necessary to make it work.

Comment

Just like Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, when you have that loading screen before team matches and 1- on -1's

Comment

Originally posted by Bracket Cable
                              It makes sense to me. Single-player games can "load in the background" when new areas are near to you, but online multiplayer games can't have the players loading things at different times on their own, otherwise the multiplayer aspect of the game would just not be able to support the interaction necessary to make it work.
                              Assuming the areas in singleplayer games are the same size as the areas in multiplayer games (which would make sense) there's no reason this wouldn't work. Remember that players you can't see (for example all players in all areas you can't see) don't get replicated so they don't even exist on your client.

Comment

Working...
                              X