Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[kinda OT] Did you ever make your own clan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Re: Re: [kinda OT] Did you ever make your own clan?

Originally posted by musilowski
    Aww, I still got *INA* in my buddies... you were the last one to pop up, months ago.

In my experience, if you want a clan to stay alive, you got play matches - a lot of matches. If there's a whiff of inactivity, it's dead.

Leave a comment:

• replied

I co-founded that one. It was fun while it lasted, but we were just scrubs. Circumstances beyond my control forced an end to that clan and then we joined:

Which was not founded by me, but I was the co-captain. Most of the guys left and started playing CS full time, so the clan dissolved. These days I just run servers and play for fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Founded Kaizen...we were under that name for 2 years until a few of us split off, some to Check Six, some to other clans. You need a good leader and mature players to really make it last.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: [kinda OT] Did you ever make your own clan?

Originally posted by Fir3ball

1. Did you ever "found" a clan? (in other words: Are you a clan leader?)

Yes, we have moved from games to another and the main group has always been the same but of course in every game we've got some new recruits.

2. How long did/ since when does it exist?

We started about 5 years ago. At the time we were playing Q2 Gloom.

3. If your clan got shut down, what was the reason?

We have had breaks but never shut down. Thats propably because most of us know each other IRL too.

4. What do you think are the most important things/characteristics for a clan?

Well in my opinion the best thing is really for everyone to just have fun and not take gaming too seriously. Of course good organizing by the clan leader(s) is almost as important. Strong leader who doesn't hesitate to give orders during games is very important too. Trash talking and mocking someone for their mistakes at teamspeak or vent is not what makes a good clan.
    When someone makes a mistake in a game it should always be addressed to the player but it should be said the nicest way possible.

5. What would make/made you join your clan(s)?

Good organizing, mature and active players, players with "just for fun" attitude but still knowing what they are doing and finally own server is always a good thing.

6. What kind of character and what skills do you think should a good clan-leader possess?
    Looks like I already answered this but I'll do it again.
    Leader doesn't have to be the best player but there should be something that makes him/her "special". Heh.
    It's almost the same thing as in business world that makes a good leader. Doesn't hesitate to give orders, has good organizing skills, knows hes players, cheers people up after or during a game thats lost, giving players credit if they have done good (not too much of course ), telling players if they did a mistake and giving them chance to learn from their mistakes and propably the most important thing never giving up.

Whee thats it. All IMO of course.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Just got some idle time and some idle questions I want some answers to I noticed that a lot of clans seem to have a rather short "half-life" and I was wondering what might be the reason. The questions below kinda popped up around that thought

and finally...

6. What kind of character and what skills do you think should a good clan-leader possess?
    1. Well, the good ole ex-INA clan and IIRC I joined it as it was made... Never were an actual "leader".

2. Don't remember anymore.

3. IIRC we disbanded because our "leader" (we didn't really have a leader, but that dude was in charge) lost his interest after our clanbase account(s) got haxed by a clan's member we played against... We slowly disbanded.

4. Fun. And competetive can be fun.

5. The people in the ex-INA were nice and I wanted to try "clanlife". :bulb:

6. +1 to Flak.

And almost all of this is "IIRC". XD

Leave a comment:

• replied

No and yes. I was a clan "capitan", so I understood how the clan the clan functioned. I pretty much was the "jerk on demand"... Whenever someone or some other clan needed some nastiness shot their way, I was the guy.

Long before I got there. They were a SOF2 clan that spread in to UT2004. I was with the UT division since the beginning. I believe that it is still active in the HL2 scene.

The UT section shut down because we lost the GGL (or some ladder like that). There was so much finger pointing that I couldn't take it any longer and the clan fell apart soon after that.

Friends first. If you all are not pals, the clan will fall apart.

Y'know, I'm not sure. I am a solo gamer by nature. But the good days with my clan were good times. I don't regret them.

Our clan (The Notorious 9) was led by Brigand. A better clan leader you'll never find anywhere. Cool headed, a peace maker, and an all-around great guy. He's the reason the clan stayed together as long as it did.

APf

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Back in 1998 or 1999 I was one of the co-founders of a Myth II online clan called Black Plague. We were #1 for a while until one of our players decided he felt the need to cheat, and then everything went downhill from there, eventually leading to the abandoning of the clan. Those were fun times (before that cheating idiot had to go a screw things up for everyone). Other than that, I haven't been involved with making or co-founding any gaming clans.

Leave a comment:

• replied

[i]1. Did you ever "found" a clan? (in other words: Are you a clan leader?)[i]

yea, well more of a tournament team for a tdm comp.. we had a couple other clan matches tho. it was called destructo or {d}

about 5 months

it was always kind of a temporary thing (most of us had other clans/not enough time)

Maturity, not too 'exclusive' ie make 'secret binds' and only be nice to other clan members etc. you just look like an *** if your getting owned and your plugging your clan constantly.

players have been in them that i play with along time before joining, the clan is well established and the dont suffer from the syndromes of question (4)

and finally...

maturity. skill, but mostly maturity.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would say there are roughly 4 kinds of clans, and if you want to make a successful one, you need to figure you what you want to be and accomplish.

1. For fun clans, example vVv, FnG, HTM | These people play for fun, they dont compete, they are more of a community.

2. Rec/ladder only teams example, HM, {dKc}, (CoA). | These teams sign up for a ladder and play on it for fun and to get better, they practice, but usually not daily and not as much as the next group.

3. High comp / league teams, examples lcd's tdm team, SBP, continuance, Gravity | These teams usually dont play on ladders, but sometimes do, they practice more than the previous 2. They scrim often and play in most eagues of their gametype that come up, prizes often encourage this. Skill level varies a lot in this group.

4. Professional / Business clans, examples x6, fnatic, united 5 (for other games) | They are always highly sponsered and have teams for multiple games. They usually "buy" good players with freebies, or take entire teams to play for them. They practice as much as high comp teams, or more. They usually dont get any less than 2nd or 3rd in any game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by stlf
    klans are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid:down:
    Sober up and post, please :heart:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i r a moderator for my clan, brothers in combat («ßîc»), we have been around for over a year now, played a lot of gametypes, and been on top of a few ladders, the thing that a clan CANNOT have is a Jack@ss leader, i recently witnessed the downfall of a 20-25 member clan mainly because their jack@ss leader made personal threats to another player, he was subsequently banned from ever playing in a certain ladder, and his clan is all but dead, their servers, which were once perpetually full, now are never fully occupied, and they are down to about 6 active members.

In short, probably the best way to run a clan is not with an outright leader, but with a couple guys taht make the decisions, but will ask the rest of the clan for their opinion as well, it is also imperative that you all get along, because as soon as two members dont get along, the whole clan takes sides and it becomes a huge problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied

and finally...

1. Leader, not founder. Founder doesn't play as much.

2. It's been around in one form or another since UT99. I joined in 2k4.

3. Other clans I've been in shut down because of player inactivity, bad leaders.

4. Active players & leaders.

5. Promise of getting leadership because I like to run things .

6. Active, always on IRC, Xfire, AIM, has lots of contacts in the main gametype, fairly good skilled, good strategic mind, leads practices, motivated, web & server skills (setting up forums, servers, ect.).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yup. crispy, swurv, sausage_attack, and i founded idiotae
    8 months ish.
    not yet
    not too take themselves too seriously and make gaming online better for everyone around them
    we played a lot togethor and just decided to start wearing tags. and from there we somehow grow......ii think it was some kind of magic

and finally...

to be stern yet convivial. to be able to listen to others, but know when to folllow his own judgement. he also must be very dedicated to the clan and be ready to make hard decisions.

or you can be like us and put off everything for as long as possible and just let decisions happen for you. haha.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    klans are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid:down:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I joined in the early beginning

Mmm.. let me think ... one or two yeard. More or less active ...

Nobody came to the training anymore, people did not like the game anymore

F U N !!!!!

I joined my new clan because it was first of all, professional in its own way. Like schedules for
    training, certain rules, different stages of joining, like Rookie, Tryouter, Full member etc.

and finally...

Be present !!! Even though my new clan is the best I have joined so far, I haven't heard from my Clan leader for ages !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X