canister gun?? i dont get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by utw-Mephisto
    A good example are the weapons in ChaosUT2 Evolution.

Almost every weapon has more than one ammunition.

You have one key which switches between the ammunition.

So only one weapon, different kind of ammo, one key to swtich between them IMHO ...
    that was the kind of thing i was thinking... it actually surprised me i didnt see it mentioned earlier... i was thinking either chaos style or two keys... one for previous and one for next... it makes much more sense to have a key like that than to have alt fire or something

Comment

Yeah I was thinking that when you hit your next weapon key it'll just switch to the next canister. and after you've cycled through all the canisters that have ammo in them it takes you to the next weapon.

Comment

i pray that i get my deemer. i want teh painters too. sad there's no superweapons in UC2, and the instagib rifle (looks nothing like the shock rifle, so i don't call it SSR) HAS A SUCK-*** FIRE RATE! THE AVRiL fires faster!

Comment

The canister gun is a bad idea.

Either
          1.The 3 have both primary and secondary fire, and you can bind a key to each "subweapon". In this case nothing really changes, except some aesthetic and maybe some unneeded confusion for newbies.

Or
          2a.You add a "switch canister " key, or make it one of the game keys, like the crouch or use keys. This would cause LOTS of confusion and is very unpractical. It adds nothing to the game, it only encourages people not to use the weapon, and mappers not to include it.
          (A function bind to pressing both the mouse keys at a time is again a bad choice, causing unwanted actions)

Or
          2b.The secondary fire is gone, the key is used to cycle canisters. In this case I can't imagine a use for the grenade, anyway you get nerfed down weapons. Second chance weapons, with less versatility... YOU ARE KILLING THEM!

Anyway, in both cases no.2 the main problem is that YOU NEVER think to spider mines, grenades and biorifle as different versions of the same gun. They are used in different occasions. Packing the 3 in one is just an annoyance.
          Being forced to change canister after you pressed the canister weapon key is irritating, it makes no sense whatsoever and you lose precious time.
          Imagine being killed because you wanted to use the bio, pressed the key and had grenades in hand at the crucial moment, forcing you to use the wrong weapon or to press another key before defending yourself...

To me, all this canister thing seems only a punishment for people like me, who always liked the bio and are in deep love with the spiders:heart:.

Moreover, the fact that you have a 3-in-1 logic, tends to encourage mappers not to include such an aborted weapon, or at least to include some, but very few, ammo for each of the 3, practically killing the prospects for people wanting to use a single one with a tactic.

Come on... in a fast paced game, where most of the time you die before running out of ammo of the single weapon you are using, who wants to get a typical 4 spiders+4grenades+a few bio shots to be used with an awkward switching procedure?

Comment

I never quite looked at it like that, but I agree with you, AleGenoa, stuffing three guns in one doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.
            I still kind of like the idea of having only one ammo type per map.
            Even IF there's a switch button or they're different weapons on the weapon bar, keeping the amount of ammo types low would be a good idea IMO.

Comment

i think bio and nades/mines are a bad idea... but i dont see how the mines and grenades couldnt be combined... arent they already extremely similar? only two weapons there... THAT wouldnt be too horrible...

but eh... whatever happens happens... and im leaning toward trusting their judgment on stuff... theyre the devs

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                I still kind of like the idea of having only one ammo type per map.
                Even IF there's a switch button or they're different weapons on the weapon bar, keeping the amount of ammo types low would be a good idea IMO.
                I agree. Anyway, this is what is happening now, more or less: you rarely see a map with 2 or 3 of the above and more than 1 superweapon and all the other weapons, even in big ONS scenarios. No problem continuing with this reasonable praxis.

But one thing is to keep things polished, another one is to kill bio&spiders in order to have less weapons...
                This game is so moddable, yet creating non-standard weapons condemns you to niche, insanely unbalanced servers. That's why we need to avoid destroying the standard weapons base. Why fighting variety only in this field, while adding lots of vehicles and stuff, for instance...

So, PROPOSAL:
                keep the canister gun, only make it a replacement of the grenade launcher, IN ADDITION to keeping the biorifle and spidermines as separate weapons.
                Just as it seems in UT2k7 the target painter can trigger different cool dramatic events like earthquakes, depending on the map, make it so that the new canister gun can carry different flavours of grenades, depending on mapper's wish, like stickymines, high-explosive, flash, smoke, poison, blocking gel...

Comment

Originally posted by AleGenoa
                  The canister gun is a bad idea.

Either
                  1.The 3 have both primary and secondary fire, and you can bind a key to each "subweapon". In this case nothing really changes, except some aesthetic and maybe some unneeded confusion for newbies.

Or
                  2a.You add a "switch canister " key, or make it one of the game keys, like the crouch or use keys. This would cause LOTS of confusion and is very unpractical. It adds nothing to the game, it only encourages people not to use the weapon, and mappers not to include it.
                  (A function bind to pressing both the mouse keys at a time is again a bad choice, causing unwanted actions)

Or
                  2b.The secondary fire is gone, the key is used to cycle canisters. In this case I can't imagine a use for the grenade, anyway you get nerfed down weapons. Second chance weapons, with less versatility... YOU ARE KILLING THEM!

Anyway, in both cases no.2 the main problem is that YOU NEVER think to spider mines, grenades and biorifle as different versions of the same gun. They are used in different occasions. Packing the 3 in one is just an annoyance.
                  Being forced to change canister after you pressed the canister weapon key is irritating, it makes no sense whatsoever and you lose precious time.
                  Imagine being killed because you wanted to use the bio, pressed the key and had grenades in hand at the crucial moment, forcing you to use the wrong weapon or to press another key before defending yourself...

To me, all this canister thing seems only a punishment for people like me, who always liked the bio and are in deep love with the spiders:heart:.

Moreover, the fact that you have a 3-in-1 logic, tends to encourage mappers not to include such an aborted weapon, or at least to include some, but very few, ammo for each of the 3, practically killing the prospects for people wanting to use a single one with a tactic.

Come on... in a fast paced game, where most of the time you die before running out of ammo of the single weapon you are using, who wants to get a typical 4 spiders+4grenades+a few bio shots to be used with an awkward switching procedure?
                  Hydra grenade launcher from Unreal2 had Incendiary, Frag, Toxic, EMP, smoke and concussion grenades though smokes and concs lacked any real purpouse it was a crafty weapon to weild though range of the nades was absurdly short...

You could slap Flak shells to the Canister gun aswell...

Comment

Working...
                  X