Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouselag, anybody?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mouselag, anybody?

    Hi everyone. I'm stuck using a laptop for my gaming needs over the next few months. I got one that gets pretty decent framerates in UT2k4... always 60+ with all settings high @ 1280x800...

    Now the problem is: Mouse lag!!!. On my desktop rig, I play without "reduce mouse lag" enabled, and it's COMPLETELY responsive. On the laptop, reduce mouse lag is necessary to make the game even remotely playable. And even then it's pretty awful...

    Any ideas? I've tried the OpenGL renderer, and the mouselag's gone there, but ATI graphics cards suck at opengl, so the framerates are pretty atrocious... (it's an X700 Mobility 64MB).

    Are there any common fixes I just never heard about?

    Also, another question for the older guys here... I just reinstalled UT99, and (after getting rid of the mouselag by installing the opengl renderer, something i had to do on my desktop rig too) everything's running at 150% speed. When I hit "Start practice game" and try to play, the bots are running around so fast i can't hit them... and i'm running so fast i keep hitting walls. wtf is going on? game speed is on 100% both in the main options and the practice session options...

    #2
    you have to append the cpu speed after the executable name within a shortcut to UT.. something like

    "pathname/unrealtournament.exe cpuspeed=3200" (the cpu speed being in megahertz)

    Comment


      #3
      awesome, i'll try that. any ideas about the mouselag in 2k4?

      Comment


        #4
        You sure you don't have any form of VSync on? It's a known fact that that will always cause some mouselag. (the game starts rendering the new frame directly after the previous frame is shown, so it'll take a while before the new frame is shown on-screen)

        Comment


          #5
          Yeah, vsync is off in my graphics control panel as well as ut2004.ini... anywhere else i need to turn it off?

          Comment


            #6
            I also have a mouse prob. My cursor just keeps jumping around the screen on irregular moments. It doesnt always happen, there are days my mouse does all the things i want him 2 do.
            It is verry annoying and i have contacted Logitech 4 an answer but they thought the problem only had 2 do something with unreal2004. After a while i discovered it also happens in Windows. So hopefully some1 has had the same prob once and got the sollution 4 it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by »madMar†y»
              I also have a mouse prob. My cursor just keeps jumping around the screen on irregular moments. It doesnt always happen, there are days my mouse does all the things i want him 2 do.
              It is verry annoying and i have contacted Logitech 4 an answer but they thought the problem only had 2 do something with unreal2004. After a while i discovered it also happens in Windows. So hopefully some1 has had the same prob once and got the sollution 4 it.
              well, your problem seems a bit different, lol. Does it happen all the time? What sort of a mouse do you have?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by bemymonkey
                well, your problem seems a bit different, lol. Does it happen all the time? What sort of a mouse do you have?
                I have a logitec click optical mouse: usb and ps2

                http://img289.echo.cx/img289/5905/38503me.jpg

                It doesn't happen all the time. When im playing an onslought match and this match lasts about an hour it happens between 1 to 3 times.

                Comment


                  #9
                  sounds like the mouse doesn't like the surface. try mousing on a very non-reflective surface, such as a light colored, non-laquered two by four... :P just try out some different mouse pads and see if that helps, because it sounds like the optical LED is reflecting back off whatever you're using as a mousepad and that's causing the jumps...

                  so how about htat mouselag problem... any ideas? anyone?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by bemymonkey
                    sounds like the mouse doesn't like the surface. try mousing on a very non-reflective surface, such as a light colored, non-laquered two by four... :P just try out some different mouse pads and see if that helps, because it sounds like the optical LED is reflecting back off whatever you're using as a mousepad and that's causing the jumps...

                    so how about htat mouselag problem... any ideas? anyone?
                    Ok tx, ill try some different surfaces.:up:

                    And does any1 know if this problem also occurs with a laser mouse. If different surfaces wont help maybe im going 2 buy a laser mouse instead of this low budget mouse.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I've had my intelli mouse v3.0A for 3 years now. The only reason it jumps is because there's a hole in my desk.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        back to my topic too, please... my horrid mouselag? UT99 is running great on the opengl renderer... 4xAA and 8xAF, no lag whatsoever...

                        ut2k4 however is still laggy as hell... framerates are always in the 60+ region, so that's not the problem... and it's smooth as hell, just laggy. it feels like playing with a really old wireless mouse... just a little worse, heheh. If I turn off Reduce Mouse lag it's so bad that i'd probably score more frags if i played with the trackpad...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          1280x800 and a 64MB card is probably your problem.

                          With UT's speed problem... Backup and delete your .ini. Then restart the game.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by GMC|SySteMatiC
                            1280x800 and a 64MB card is probably your problem.

                            With UT's speed problem... Backup and delete your .ini. Then restart the game.
                            I hate it when people with no idea try to tell me I own junk. This thing runs Source engine games at 1280x800 with all settings high and 4xAA... without ever dipping under 50 FPS. Now try telling me that's not powerful enough to run UT 2004.

                            And the UT99 problem was solved about 10 posts ago.

                            -edit- The mouse lag's there even at 320x240... just checked.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                              Um well, the source engine is probably more scaleable because 90% of their visuals come from high texture quality and shader use, both VERY scaleable, and both very reliant on the video card rather than the CPU.

                              Most of the UT2004 quality comes from higher quality static meshes built with 1000's of polys, and its also very CPU heavy. The engines are totaly different and scale in different ways. HL2 is much easier on your video card because it can simply disable SM2.0 effects and blam suddenly you have double the frame rate. the engines are really different, UT2004 is more likly to have mouse lag because its more CPU dependent for its frame rate.
                              You don't get what I'm saying. I'm getting between 60 and 240 FPS at any given moment... it's not a problem because of the framerate, believe me.

                              And I run HL2 in DX9 mode with almost all the settings on high including shader detail (only thing i turned down was model detail, since i couldn't see a difference in-game...). This graphics chipset is definitely VERY underestimated...

                              I'm coming from an AthlonXP 2200+ (1.8GHz) with a GeForce4 Ti 4800SE, and that ran UT2004 completely without mouselag... This 1.6 GHz Dothan is FAR more powerful than an AthlonXP 2200+, believe me.

                              So... any ideas to fix it instead of telling me it just won't work any better?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X