Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You reckon they'll bring back the original composer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You reckon they'll bring back the original composer?

I felt that the bulk of the atmosphere from unreal and unreal tournament came from the music, not the actual gameplay. I can't remember the composer's name but if he was to be hired to compose for ut2k7, the game would appeal to me much more than it already has as opposed to 2k3/4. 2k3/4 just didn't have the atmosphere, the fast paced action movie style music ruined my experience. Does anyone else miss the old style music from the original unreal and unreal tournament? Even Deus Ex had an Unreal atmosphere...

It would be awesome if they did. Maybe even Kevin Rieple, Alex Brandon, and Michiel van der Bos could do the Envy soundtrack in collaboration.

Comment

Well, Kevin Riepl it's going to develope again music for 2007 and for GoW, but looks like he is not going to be the only one in the UT2007 soundtrack

Originally posted by Kevin Riepl in his web site
      Along with creating the score for Gears of War, I will also be contributing
      music for the next installment of Unreal Tournament
      So maybe Michiel van der Bos and Alex Brandon are back, so who knows

Kevin web site

Comment

UT2k4 music added much of the feel of UT IMO. I also liked the music in UT2k3, but it was a bit of a departure.

Comment

Yeah they did get some of the feeling back in 2k4 but it just sounded too much like someone else was trying to copy the original music and 2kxify it, so in my eyes it was a feeble attempt to get back some of the original fans. It probably worked well, but I don't think they'll ever get that feeling back. Alex Brandon coming back would be a cause for much rejoice

[Edit: Wow I was just reading an interview with Alex Brandon and he took the words right out of my head: "the tough part is NOT making your game sound like a movie or anything else. It needs to be unique and since you're now using the same palette of sounds as everyone else in the professional music industry, its more difficult to get that singular quality" That's part of the reason the music destroyed 2k3/4, it sounded too much like it was for a movie]

Comment

Yes Unreal1 and UT1 had awesome music and most definetly contributed to the atmosphere, a plus point was that custom music in U1/UT1 is pushable...that must come back in UT2k7.

Lets have some good music in UT2k7 that takes some of its theme from U1/UT1 music.

Comment

it always felt like the ut99 music was something special. Every track gave a special feel to a level. the music in 2kx is just to plain. there is nothing special to it, so even though maps like rankin are really good, the music doesnt give its something extra so you let the music stay on. I hope they fix it in the next ut, because I think music is 1 of the most important thinks in a game. It can make it or destroy it.Just think about lord of the rings without music, the films isnt to special all of a sudden when the music is gone, same for games.

Comment

I've never been a fan of the music KR did for UT2k3 and UT2k4. IMO it's just not good enough. He did change his style a bit from UT2k3 to UT2k4, but it wasn't a real improvement.
                If Epic could somehow track down the musicians that worked for U1 and UT, that'd be great. Those people seemed to have a very good understanding of fragging music.
                Starsky Partridge (who did some of the UT2k3 music for DE) is also pretty good and got the BPM and music style that fits UT's playing style down pretty well. I'd like it if he did more music for UT2007.

Comment

Michiel Van Den Bos has not been approached by Epic for UT2007, he is however working with the UTR team for the UT remake for 2k4.

Comment

You know, it would be great if they just shipped the game with ALL UT music up to date, maybe a bit polished up, so everyone could be happy.

Comment

More UT whores in the ut2003/4 forums.

I liked the music for UT2k3/4, I had some actual oomph to it. Doesn't mean I didn't like the music from UT, I used to fire up modplug and listen to it all the time, along with some good songs from the modplug site.

But the new music has a good pace and feel to it, it's good at getting me pumped in-game. And I listen to it seperately alot too as I like dramatic music. Some tracks are suck, but you usally tend to get a mixed bag. I especially love some of the new ONS tracks. Very fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrii
                        More UT whores in the ut2003/4 forums.

I liked the music for UT2k3/4, I had some actual oomph to it. Doesn't mean I didn't like the music from UT, I used to fire up modplug and listen to it all the time, along with some good songs from the modplug site.

But the new music has a good pace and feel to it, it's good at getting me pumped in-game. And I listen to it seperately alot too as I like dramatic music. Some tracks are suck, but you usally tend to get a mixed bag. I especially love some of the new ONS tracks. Very fitting.
                        I also like the ut2K4 music. Even more then i like the ut99 music.
                        ANd i played ut2004 before i started playing ut99 to. Same goes for me with movement etc... . Maybe most of us just like the things more which we started with. I sure have that feeling, i almost prefer all modern orginal games above their sequels.

So i like them both.

Comment

AFAIK the music in UT 1 was done out of house by a company called straylight productions possibly, they create music for companies but you can rder a free sample from them I think :S
                          EDIT: having done a quick search I no longer think they exist? get one of the Ut1 tracks and open it in winamp, there you can see the composer and details like that, will be more informative
                          Edit, got it
                          http://www.altpop.com/stc/reviews/unreal.htm

Comment

Didn't play any of the games with in-game music on.
                            But the sounds in UT were definitely better than those from UT200X.

Comment

Originally posted by Zynith
                              You know, it would be great if they just shipped the game with ALL UT music up to date, maybe a bit polished up, so everyone could be happy.
                              Nobody wants to listen to old songs.

Comment

Working...
                              X