Bot AI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bot AI Question

I have a question regarding the bot AI in Unreal Tournament 2004.

While playing on a server today, someone mentioned that it seemed as though the bots on the blue team were not as smart as the ones on the red team. The bots are set to inhuman there. I, personally, didn't notice a difference. It looked to me as if the red bots made just as many stupid mistakes as the blue ones, but his claim still stands. Does anyone know if there actually is any legitimate evidence that one team of bots, while set at the same difficulty as the other ones, can perform worse?

Examples of the kind of behavior the blue bots exhibited:

-Wouldn't listen to orders. (Red ones wouldn't either)
    -Would not attempt to completer objectives in Assault (I saw them doing it, but it is claimed that often times they did not.)
    -Seemed to concentrate more on random killing than winning the game.

Any response?

Might be that the server has auto adjust skill level on. I never tried it in a team game but it could be that the bots adjust to themselfs making the 2 teams even. In theory, the bot level should stay the same when there are no humans. But if there is a human in a team game then it could vary.

Comment

How advanced AI may go, bots will still stay bots, and tend to act stupid from time to time...

Comment

If it was a costum map, the mapper could have placed the bot paths "unfair"...

Comment

In my instant action experience: “bots on my team < bots on opposing team”; especially when Assault is played.:bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Shark
            In my instant action experience: “bots on my team < bots on opposing team”; especially when Assault is played.:bulb:
            So true, it seems like when your playing, your bots are dumbed down so you need to do everything yourself. Why do you think that ut2004 alone is the most boring experience you can ever have??

Comment

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Bot_Mind:
              • Novice
                Run at one third the speed, No translocator use, Will not move while engaged in combat unless very weak, Limited perception; field of view less than 60°, Weak aim that can range ~30° off target, Slow to turn.
              • Average
                Run at half speed, No translocator use, slightly higher perception and accuracy.
              • Experienced
                Run at three-quarter speed. Translocator use. Will move and fire simultaeously.
              • Skilled
                Run at full speed.
              • Adept
                Will dodge enemy fire. Will close in on enemy.
              • Masterful
                ImpactJump use. Shock combo use. Will switch target enemies during combat.
              • Inhuman
                Will dodge enemy aim. No limits on perception; field of view above 90°.
              • Godlike
                All strategies and tactics are engaged. Omniperceptive; they see players and objects even without line of sight. Highest level of accuracy, ranging less than 1° off target. Aim "leads" the target.
              Originally posted by jake-SF:
              So true, it seems like when your playing, your bots are dumbed down so you need to do everything yourself. Why do you think that ut2004 alone is the most boring experience you can ever have??
              If you're gonna mouth off, go do it elsewhere.

Comment

The bots in this game infuriate me to no end.

One way around the bot stupidity is to play an instant action game like a bot. You must think and act like a bot. Besides, your not going to really improve you skill against human players by playing bots, so adapting to bots is necessary and is what people do anyways when they play them.

If you attack with your bot teammates and defend your bot flag carrier, rather than capture the flag yourself when no bot teammates are around, then your bot teammates will seem smarter.

In any case, Epic must seriously work on A.I., because you are likely to deal with bots online, not just offline. Having a bot on your team can be an advantage, especially with the new communication scheme being implemented for the next installment.

A human player just isn't going to be as efficient as bots at doing certain things, like reporting their wereabouts, and the wereabouts of the enemy.

As I've mentioned in other threads, it makes me mad that server admin don't put bots on adept or above difficulty settings.

Comment

I think the only difference between the red and blue teams is that's there's a human player in one of them. The blue team (which are all bots) just go on the attack independent of orders. The red team (or whichever team has the human player) has different starting orders, and thus become reliant on human orders.

It's difficult to explain, but I think that's what's happening here.

Comment

Originally posted by gades
                    I think the only difference between the red and blue teams is that's there's a human player in one of them. The blue team (which are all bots) just go on the attack independent of orders. The red team (or whichever team has the human player) has different starting orders, and thus become reliant on human orders.
                    Good point. I would just like to comment (even though we all know this) that once 2 or 3 bots on your team are given orders to take the flag, they do not work as a team, as the opposing (all bot) team does.

Comment

Masterful
                      ImpactJump use. Shock combo use. Will switch target enemies during combat.

That cant be right, i get owned constantly by shock combos on Adept.....

Comment

Working...
                      X