Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the 'Hover-board' idea?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote from an interview with EPIC in this months UK edition of PC Zone...
    "One of our favourite ideas is the notion of a personal hoverboard for Onslaught mode. Carried as a default item, it would be a nimble. Back to the Future-esque affair, enabling you to zoom around far quicker than walking. The disadvantage is that you can't shoot while in motion, though a related idea is to combine the hoverboard with a grappling device for hooking onto passing vehicles (or people)."

Sorry, that second option should read "if it were done right" not "of"...

Personally, I think this sounds really cheesey, absolutely everyone will be either in a vehicle or on a hoverboard, its going to be so totally removed from the classic gameplay of the original UT.

it could be cool, i like the idea of being pulled along by other vehicles by grappling on to them. For gods sake though keep it to conquest/onslaught and out of dm/ctf/tdm!

Comment

I voted that it could work, if done right. We've been working on that HoverBoard for quite some time, and had some coding issues. Epic being Epic though, I'm sure they will improve on it considerably.

Yeah, it will be fun I think.

Comment

you make this sound like i should know this is an option for the next installment of UT....?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
          you make this sound like i should know this is an option for the next installment of UT....?
          Eh?
          Well, EPIC mentioned the possibilty of it in the PC Zone article, sorry if you haven't been 'keeping up' with things...

There, I've edited my original post to make it a little clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero*nz
            it could be cool, i like the idea of being pulled along by other vehicles by grappling on to them. For gods sake though keep it to conquest/onslaught and out of dm/ctf/tdm!
            If epic doesnt put it in for dm,ctf,tdm im sure someone will.

Comment

I think its a bad idea tbh. I think too many vehicles and modes of transport are going to cause problems. If everyone has a hoverboard then its going to incourage people to go solo and discourage teamwork. If more vehicles held more players (like a passenger in the hellbender who can shoot out their window, as well as the two rear gunners) it might give people more incentive to use them as a team, especially with these seamless maps that are going to be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo2003
                Eh?
                Well, EPIC mentioned the possibilty of it in the PC Zone article, sorry if you haven't been 'keeping up' with things...

There, I've edited my original post to make it a little clearer.

yeah..i don't read much of the hype. Keeps me from being so disappointed later

Comment

i hope they make a no hoverboard mutator
                  i dont think hover boards belongs to an FPS game

Comment

could work...... better than xloc imo

and if we have vehicles why not this? better than running for eeeeeever on those big maps

and I am gonna love shootin ppl off their boards - would look great

but nope - not dm never!! not even in a mod! plz?

how would u explain not being able to shoot tho? maybe make you mis**** instead...?

edit: he he he didn't like the sh*t in miss hit left it for the funny factor and if its not funny then ok too....

Comment

Disallowing usage of weapons while a player is on a hover board seems sensible with respect to balance. However, it's not plausible for gameplay. IMO, gameplay suffers from implausible rules and mechanisms that have only been added to counterbalance another imbalance. ONS is already messy enough...
                      Besides, a hover board seems too much a gimmick for kids. And that's what it was used for in "Back to the future". As much as I liked BTTF, hover boards are cheesy.

Comment

Nah no hover board thats sucks ooks more like quake ****............ and its ut and no quake

Comment

It's definitly odd...
                          I'm not sure I'd like it.

Comment

I would have to see this feature first to make my apreciation.

Comment

It is good because, so many times you find yourself far from the action waiting for some manta or raptor to spawn toget back in.

Scorpions are useless, tanks/benders are slow and good for getting in position and camping. But for transport, you use a manta or raptor and there are only so many of them on a map. If the conquest maps are 3 times bigger than an ONS map, then we need fast transport. How many times have you cycled through 3 nodes on dria just to get back to the enemy primary when you control all the nodes. Imagine maps 3 times bigger and then it starts making sense.

Currently, sensible mappers include jumpads for crossing certain parts of the map on foot. But that is not as flexible as a personal fast transport.

And tbh in a good match, a manta becomes nothing more than a transport that gets destroyed as you approach a node.

What I would like tho is to make it have a grappling hook that you can use to surf attached to a vehicle, in this mode you should be able to shoot, but slow down the vehicle accordingly.

This way it is not overpowered free movement on foot while shooting, but you can still shoot if you have more limited movement hooked to another vehicle. Dunno if that makes sense.:sour:

Comment

Working...
                              X