FRAPS Users.. I have a Question or 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRAPS Users.. I have a Question or 2

I thought this forum the best place to discuss this as Its not really a UT technical support problem.

I have been searching this forum for good Demo Record ways and methods and by far the best so far for Demo recording is FRAPS. The quality of picture and audio is faultless (In game recording terms). But because FRAPS doesn't have time to perform any form of compressions, within a few games of ONS you FRAPS can eat up a 30 Gig drive. That too is acceptable because I only use cuts from the Demo's it records to put together into a full movie.

My problem is the end films I make. So far I have used Adobe Premier Pro 7, Vegas 6 (Which is sooo like ACID I love it) and even a few lesser known tools.

I can compse my movie brilliantly using Vegas 6 I have full control over what I want where and It's all in one place in one window rather than 2 or 3 like Premier who's lay out is a little too much for me. Then comes the Export or Render and my problems. I have a 3:30 Movie composed of FRAPS taken UT footage along with a pre composed audio track of the same length replacing the FRAPS Footage audio but when I render it, no matter what format or setting it seems to remain at 100 MB. I understand that in order to acheive a smaller file you must sacrifice some quality but the sort of thing I'm getting is dark and not worth watching.

I record with FRAPS @ 20 FPS (which works best to reduce lag type symptoms when recording) on Full movie size.

I have even exported my newly made movie from vegas into the best quality file I can get and then tried to use DIVX to keep quality but reduce size and it's still really dard and looks like a kid has stuck his lollypop all over my screen and left a sugary residue behind on my monitor.

There must be a happy medium from start to finish ie... A good way from recording the Demo to making a 3 - 5 min movie but in an internet compatible size.

Here is a list of the softwares I have tired.

Adobe Premier (Didnt get on with this software)
    Vegas 6 (I like this one and use this one)
    Dr DIVX (Latest Release)
    XVID encoder (Latest Release)
    Cucusoft RE-Encoder software (Sux)
    MPEG Direct maker. -- (No size reduction quality poor)
    VirtualDUB -->> (Froze and crashed)

The speed at which the mvie encodes does not bother me.. it could take all day I dont mind as long as I have a watchable fim at a reasonable say half the size file. 100 MB for a 3 min film is mad. I have seen 10 Minute movie trailers that are like 20 MB or less and they are Crystal clear so how come mine is 100 MB?
    The best I can get it is to Render it from Vegas 6 into MPEG2 and that brings it at 103 MB exactly.

I dont usually work with Movies.. I have in the past "Played" and "Tried" but I'm not an expert. I have read alot of the principles about the whys and hows but it still didnt help answer my "Why is my film so huge " Question lol

If anyone can help.. I'd sure appreciate it.. I got a good movie working out here and I cant share it :cry:

I hear Quick time have included and NEW H. codec into their New QT 7 Pro which can reduce file size but hold quality by quantisation but its not available for windows yet :cry:

Any tips or help appreciated, please Kind People!

Oh and PS for some reason the MPEG2 Movie Vegas Exports does not play on any machines that do not have Vegas 6 installed due to the lack of the MPEG codec Vegas uses.

not directly related to your inquiry but you do know that using demorec to record your actual game THEN using fraps on the demo playback is a superior solution right? you sacrifice much less system resources and you can take recordings of only the best parts of the action, rather than editing an hour of footage in vegas into 3 minutes of stuff.

your audio could be eating up the size as much as the video itself. use mp3 compression to eliminate that possibility.

Comment

Yeah, got the MP3 thing sorted.. its only 3 MB I got the sony audio tools sussed no probs there.. but thanks for the suggestion.

I chose FRAPS to record because for some reason DEMOrec via the console seemed to stutter. I would record a game.. then play it back to have it stutter or skip a frame. I cant isolate the cause of this wether its during play back the stutter occurs or during the record.. If its gonna keep my quality and shrink my files Its worth looking into.

Anyone know any size measurements for the demos UT2004 exports as avi.. ie time length = File size?
      Also any suggested reasons for the stutter when using Demorec? I have turned some of my detailing etc down to low so as to avoid the lag symptoms when recording.

Thanks for your suggestion
      {BL}Berserker

Comment

tbh dont record under 20 fps

you can always tone the framerate of the clips down afterwards but no way you can do a proper slowmo with 20 fps recorded material

Comment

uh that's what I just suggested frosty.

he said he gets skips in the playback.

Comment

Originally posted by -=[kRy0]=-

I chose FRAPS to record because for some reason DEMOrec via the console seemed to stutter. I would record a game.. then play it back to have it stutter or skip a frame. I cant isolate the cause of this wether its during play back the stutter occurs or during the record..
            Not to be harsh, but it is easy to determine if you have a Demorec playback issue or not. Try playing back the recorded demo without using FRAPS. It's the only way to figure out where the issue lies. The other thing to note is that if you are having video stuttering issues with Demorec, you will certainly have them in real-time gameplay. I just can't believe that Demorec plays back with video stutter and real-time gameplay of the same events is fine, especially if you are simultaneously recording with FRAPS.

Take the advice of the others here, record with FRAPS only in Demorec. That way, you can record only the parts you want and get the cool angles/perpectives needed to make a good movie.

Comment

Ok, I went into a server for 5 minutes and played a game, I started the rcording using the inbuilt ut2004 Demorec. I got no stuttering this time.. dont for the hell of me know what caused it the first time. This time using demorec i was manning the 2nd gun on the hellbender but the demo record shows not what I was looking at.. instead it positioned its view more to the right of where I was looking so the recorded movies angle is all wrong. Its view was along what would be considered the barrel of the gun, during the game the view was fine but during playback it is shifted to the right and not showing as I saw it ingame.

Also on a slightly sepperate but bugging note, I think it used to be possible to disable the blue box that auto pops up when you die when playing.. that box popping up has killed many a spectacular death scene because it popped up.:cry:

Before I go make anymore footage to put to the test using the demorec and fraps method... can anyone help with the above two issues... and a big thanks to all those that have contributed to helping me sort this out!!!!
              When it comes to gamedemo recording and movie editing i'm still somewhat a n00b but I really wanna finish this movie.

Next attempt.. Record using demorec then use the FRAPS method to view and record what peices I want. I am assuming that this method involves Playing your game.. recording it using demo rec.. then going and viewing your recording In the inbuilt ut2004 demoviewer and then recording that or the bits i want with fraps. My only concearn there is that it still leaves me with Fraps size peices which are quite large and when put together would still be the same size as I have already got.

My main problem lies when putting the peices together the finsihed product is huge. I need a way to shrink the size when its done but so as its not dark and blurry, but a reasonable size for watching or downloaded form our clan site.

Oh and the UT2004 convert demo to avi feature.. forget it, it wont have it for me.. the size it makes is worse than I have now, its all scrambled and plays about 2 times to fast.. not to knock it.. but it dont work for me. Maybe needs more development.

DREAM WISH LIST: A program that records the footage all nicely neatly and small and only after editing of footage required. SIGH*

THANKS Guys!!!!!

Comment

Ok, I went into a server for 5 minutes and played a game, I started the rcording using the inbuilt ut2004 Demorec. I got no stuttering this time.. dont for the hell of me know what caused it the first time. This time using demorec i was manning the 2nd gun on the hellbender but the demo record shows not what I was looking at.. instead it positioned its view more to the right of where I was looking so the recorded movies angle is all wrong. Its view was along what would be considered the barrel of the gun, during the game the view was fine but during playback it is shifted to the right and not showing as I saw it ingame.
                Left mouse selects which player the camera lands on. You can use your scrollwheel to zoom in and out. The right mouse button lets you fly freely with the camera. Also, type in togglescreenshotmode in the console to turn off all the HUD and contexual items. Do it again to turn them back on. Another thing you can do is use "freezeall" (without the quotes) to freeze the gameplay so that you can get any shot you like.

Also on a slightly sepperate but bugging note, I think it used to be possible to disable the blue box that auto pops up when you die when playing.. that box popping up has killed many a spectacular death scene because it popped up.:cry:
                In ONS, go to the Show Map selection and pick Never.

Comment

Nice one!

Many thanks..

just one bit I'm unclear on now... To use the mouse buttons to control the camera how does it do it when those buttons are also game keys? What i mean is how does it chose what command to issue when say left mouse is pressed how does it know to move the camera rather than shoot? So I take it you cannot just have a wysiwyg type recording camera angle? By that I mean demorec records everything as you see it rather than ajusting the angle all the time.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding all this.

Comment

Nice one!

Many thanks..

just one bit I'm unclear on now... To use the mouse buttons to control the camera how does it do it when those buttons are also game keys? What i mean is how does it chose what command to issue when say left mouse is pressed how does it know to move the camera rather than shoot? So I take it you cannot just have a wysiwyg type recording camera angle? By that I mean demorec records everything as you see it rather than ajusting the angle all the time.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding all this.

Sorry about that. I'm referring to the use of the mouse button while in demo playback. You can change camera perspective and characters during demo playback.

Comment

Sweet I never knew that. Thats actually a pretty handy feature!

Thanks for replying and thanks for the help!!!!!

Many many thanks and much appreciated!

Lets see how I get on now lol

Comment

btw

do you play your demo's timebased?

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                          btw

do you play your demo's timebased?
                          timebased? Please explain.. I'm still new to all this lol

Also.. I still cannot change the camera angles. I Manned a turret yesterday, It stayed looking straight ahead during the demo while I was shooting way off to the left so it didnt show anything i was doing.. I tried to change the view as suggested via the mouse butons during playback... Nothing. Didnt move.:cry:

Comment

Working...
                          X