Want your opinion on turrets in VCTF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want your opinion on turrets in VCTF!

I'm currently working on two VCTF maps. (big deal, right?) Which is bizarre because I don't really like vehicles to begin with, but seeing the VCTF community is growing and could use more maps, I thought (for better or worse) I'd give it a try, twice mind you. One of the maps is a very realistic looking city map, its huge and will be a long time in the making. The other is, ... well difficult to describe. It is huge also, but will not be taking near as long to build. I've named it VCTF-Core for the time being. You will be able to drive through cool tunnels out to very very tall shafts which will require you to drive onto rotating platforms to ascend and descend to your base.

What I want your opinion on is whether I should use turrets in a VCTF map. I've seen VCTF maps with turrets, but I'm not keen on the idea, but if that's what people look forward to as defense when playing VCTF, then I feel I should include them. What do you think, should I include turrets (like the mini, or energy), or should I forgo them?

I'm not really crazy about turrets, but it depends on the map I guess. If you've got a wide open type of affair with easy manta runs available, turrets might be a good idea. If the flagbase is fairly well enclosed, turrets are pretty well unnecessary and can waste a team's time more than helping it out.

And thanks for taking an interest. But I do have one suggestion: play a little VCTF before you start throwing maps at it. That's the best and surest way to find out what works and what doesn't.

Comment

I understand the mechanics of VCTF well enough to translate it into the map. I don't see the current layout of the map demanding its presents or absense, it could go either way. I could include them or not. That's why I want opinions, but suggestions on map design and map elements for VCTF, are of course welcome.

Comment

It really, really depends on the map. I'd say build it and try out a few different options to see which works

Comment

Originally posted by SWG_Victim
          It really, really depends on the map. I'd say build it and try out a few different options to see which works

A good idea. I will do that. However, I'm still interested in hearing as many opinions on having turrets in VCTF maps as I'm lucky enough to get.

Comment

Well, I thought about it some more. Personal tastes:

I think I like AS- style miniturrets better than ONS- style shock turrets. They seem to be both tougher and more useful, though I don't know the stats.

Turrets I like in VCTF:

Miniturret on MistyGlen -- well positioned, very important to the defense.

Miniturret on BattleLine -- could just be a spam- machine, but it does help hold the bridge, keep the enemy tank suppressed and it's a big help with enemy raptors. It's not crucial, but the map would be missing something without it.

Turrets I don't like:

Miniturret on AggressiveAlleys -- the fact that the flagbase is enclosed combined with the turret's limited practical field of fire make it occasionally useful at best. That map wouldn't miss that turret at all IMO.

Miniturret on EgyptianWar -- well, that map is really overall kind of silly... but nothing is sillier than that turret. The platform it's on makes it less than helpful for defense, and mostly it just ends up taking part in the ongoing sniper wars that draw half of each team into some other game that's pretty much unconnected with capturing/ defending flags.

Can't really think of a shock turret I have an opinion about. :haha:

Comment

The role I see turrets (and I'm talking miniturret here) is not to defend the flag by sniping the flag with it. The turrets should be used to defend access to the base or each teams side of the map, as the sniper bunkers were used in UT. I think its lame and overkill to have turrets near the flag where players instantly spawn after being killed. By putting the turrets on the front line and placing them in such a way (giving them roughly 90-120 degrees of rotation) that they can defend a limited arc that covers both players approaching the base and leaving the base. I certainly don't want players to be able to use the turrets to fire into enemy territory, nor have players exposed to as much fire as they would receive in Assualt maps, unless I was putting in some heavy vehicles, which I'm not.

Nonetheless, if people feel turrets belong near the flag, then I'm open to the suggestion, I just need a reason to put it there.

Comment

I think turrets fit well in vctf.

Comment

Originally posted by meKilgore
                  The role I see turrets (and I'm talking miniturret here) is not to defend the flag by sniping the flag with it. The turrets should be used to defend access to the base or each teams side of the map, as the sniper bunkers were used in UT. I think its lame and overkill to have turrets near the flag where players instantly spawn after being killed. By putting the turrets on the front line and placing them in such a way (giving them roughly 90-120 degrees of rotation) that they can defend a limited arc that covers both players approaching the base and leaving the base. I certainly don't want players to be able to use the turrets to fire into enemy territory, nor have players exposed to as much fire as they would receive in Assualt maps, unless I was putting in some heavy vehicles, which I'm not.

Nonetheless, if people feel turrets belong near the flag, then I'm open to the suggestion, I just need a reason to put it there.
                  One thing you should remember about minigun turrets is that they will knock manta riders off their mantas. That being mixed with their high rate of fire makes it extremely difficult to fly a mantarun by one.

Comment

I love you kilgore THANK YOU for thinking of us! :heart:

The big turrets work well in maps like Valarna, Lonesome glen and Adara. The minigun turrets work well in maps like mistyglen and Aggressive. I think it has a lot to do with the size of the map. I have maybe hopped in a turret 5 times though, so I'm probably not the best to ask LOL.

Comment

Just don't give turrets a line of sight to each of the flags, and you'll be good.

Comment

Working...
                      X