Timing Strategies for powerups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Strategies for powerups?

Noticed a few folks are amazingly good at timing powerup respawns...

I was wondering if any folks use any 3rd party timers or if there are any special hints/tips for accurate timing?

First things first, so this doesn't turn into yesterday's thread. Timers are considered cheats, unless they're mutators/mods that the entire server has.

That having been said, timing is relatively easy. 50a and weapons spawn every 27.5 seconds, while the 100a spawns every 55 seconds (exactly twice as long as 50a.) Finally, amp spawns every 82.5 seconds, which is the same as three times the length for a 50a respawn.

Timing 100a is by far the easiest, as all you have to do is add five seconds and subtract a minute. Did you pick it up at 12:32? It will be back at 11:37.

The same concept is employed to time the others - it's all basic math; I'm sure you can figure it out.

Comment

The rest is just practice.
      If you're having trouble remembering the timings while fighting, just play a few 1on1s while only paying attention to your timing. After a while it should come more naturally.

Comment

Awesome!

Yeah, figured timers would be cheats, but wasn't sure how it was done in UT.

That sounds relatively easy once ya get the hang of it - thanks guys

Comment

Yeah, it eventually becomes a second nature.

Here's another tip that I forgot: routes. Alot of players don't bother to actually time the 50a and weapons (too tedious); they only time the big powerups such as 100a and amp. However, by establishing routes (an order by which you move through the items), you can still have a general idea of when weapons and such are about to spawn.

Here's an example: you spawn at LG in DM-Rankin, and pick it up. You go and get 50a, and then you go get shock. Sometime between picking up 50a and picking up shock, you hear your opponent grab a flak. If you remember this route/order, if when you see the next lg spawn, you know to head to 50a, then either flak or shock - you should be able to get a 50a and either flak or shock without having actually timed any of them.

This concept can be extended greatly with practice, and also becomes a second nature; I've seen players thoroughly and consistently control half of the weapons in a map, without doing any timing at all. Oh yeah, and vials also spawn every 27.5 seconds, so they fit into this too.

Comment

If you want to get into routes Roughinery is a great map for routes.

I have a route that controls lg,shock.goo,link.rox,flak,mini,50a and 100a.

And it's a 30 second route.

Basically the best thing to do is just put all yoru weapons to 30 seconds.

Sometimes you actually will have to time weapons for example when somebody is pounding you with hitscan on rankin you need to time your lg and shock and control that area.

There's just so many strategies for each map some which are very simple and some which are rather complex

Comment

Do not time...

Your mind will guide you......

Well actualy I never think about them and I always lend on the powerup. What kind of luck is that?

Comment

Originally posted by vrxGz
                Yeah, it eventually becomes a second nature.

However, by establishing routes (an order by which you move through the items), you can still have a general idea of when weapons and such are about to spawn...
                This concept can be extended greatly with practice, and also becomes a second nature; I've seen players thoroughly and consistently control half of the weapons in a map, without doing any timing at all.

Now your changing your tune? What's all this talk about "second nature" and "general idea" and "practice"?

What happen to:

Originally posted by vrxGz
                Intuition will never exemplify the reliability of actual timing. Even my little brother can tell you that.

Establishing a route and using it consistently throughout a match is dangerous, because you will become predictable. And predictability in DM is a very bad thing since it gives your opponent an advantage over you.

Nevertheless, VrxGz is correct in that other pickups can also be timed relative to a powerup. Of course, the same thing applies to timing powerups relative to pickups, and this is what has help me guesstimate powerup spawns without having to add and subtract from the clock. This is most useful in CTF, where you might not be able to time powerups in 55 seconds intervals because you are occuppied defending a flag carrier, or you have been waylaid for other reasons and some CTF maps are too large to time them in one cycle anyways.

Comment

He didn't really change his tune at all, in the other thread it was soley about the power ups, and that can't be timed by intuition, weapons can sometimes simply by moving around in the same pattern taking the same amount of time or other things. Everything still refers to the ingame clock and weapons timing and such that virax talked about here could not be accomplished without the ingame clock.

Comment

Sigh. I never 'changed my tune.'

Using routes is different from using intuition - but even if it wasn't, my arguement would still be is the same as always; the routes and such that I mentioned still aren't as reliable as if you actually timed the weapons and 50a. Unless you're a savant, it's simply more practical to use routes when trying to control items that spawn in 27.5sec intervals.

Comment

to make it even easier, dont even bother with the minutes, just look at the seconds, so for the 100a, if it spawns at 12:45, then u pick it up at 50, then 55 and so on.

Same sorta strat applies to amp, so if the amp pops up at 11:30, u grab it at 8 (seconds) but not the first 8 seconds at 11:08 but the 2nd 8 seconds at 10:08.

The 50a u dont have to time just guard, plus u know it'll pop up when the 100a is up, so u gotta rush to get 100a then get to 50a. Unless u delay the 50a by picking it up out of sync with 100a so u give urself 10-15 seconds to get between the two.

Don't worry you'll eventually get it, hard thing to do is when ur in a hectic 4v4 tdm situation and all this goes down the drain lol

But as Boksha said practise will sort that out.

Comment

Also, remember when using the subtract 22 second rule for timing amp that if there's less than 22 seconds left in the minute, you'll have to decrement the minute-mark by 2 minutes, instead of 1.

Example:
                        • Picked up at 11:30 -> subtract 22 seconds, then decrement minutes by 1 -> respawns at 10:08
                        • Picked up at 11:15 -> subracting 22 seconds, then decrement minutes by 2 -> respawns at 9:53
                        Again, like K@M said, you could just look at the seconds-mark... but I usually only do that with 100a. It's too easy to get screwed up with timing amp when you neglect to look at the minute-mark (in my opinion.)

Comment

Originally posted by meKilgore
                          Now your changing your tune? What's all this talk about "second nature" and "general idea" and "practice"?
                          By second nature and practice, he probably meant it becomes a second nature to glance at the clock the moment you pick something up.
                          That's what I meant by it coming more naturally anyway.

Comment

I would just like to takes this moment to thank vrxGz (**** difficult name!)

your first post here is a clasic and helpful as opposed to rude and sarcastic - and the response from the poster shows that

if you respond to questions like this you will have my (and others like me), undying gratitude

good job m8 - keep it up :up:

ps: I still don't time, but disagreeing with you is not the point of my post

Comment

I have a little scenario. Four people at the same time all time the Damage Amp to perfection and I,m lurking thereabouts ready to hit them all with charged rockets or a shock combo or even a flak ball. It is highy unlikely that you will be the only one trying to time the powerups, and you better consider that before you go missing out on kills simply to get to them first. If you are just running around throwing weaponfire here and there in an attempt to use a set path for powering timeups rather then being aggressive and going after your opponents and frags then more then likely you will f___ing lose. I don't know about the rest of you but I,m not going to let you run off and I am not going to run off to get the Amp in a middle of a fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X