PU Recaps PC Zone UK UT2007 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PU Recaps PC Zone UK UT2007 Preview

I figured since I just posted it over at PU, I might as well let everyone over here know too:

As per BU's report, it seems that UK magazine PC Zone has an article on Epic's in-the-works UT2007. While we can't provide full scans, we do have some partial ones for you to oggle over:

Could that first one be a sniper? I wonder. Anyhow, once you're done drooling over that - we've also got some rather enjoyable snippets for your reading pleasure:

Creative Juices – Some of Epic's more outlandish ideas for the next UT...

UT2007 is still in a state of design flux – there are a lot of ideas being tossed around and not all of them are going to make it into the mix – but we thought we'd let you in on a couple anyway. One of our favourites if the notion of a personal hoverboard for Onslaught mode. Carried as a default item, it would be a nimble. Back to the Future-esque affair, enabling you to zoom around far quicker than walking. The disadvantage is that you can't shoot while in motion, though a related idea is to combine the hoverboard with a grappling device for hooking onto passing vehicles (or people). If you've read Snow Crash you'l recognise the inspiration. Another idea is to use the new materials system to create a jelly-like deployable shield. If you've seen the UE3 demo vidoes from the GDC you might have seen this stuff – it's a physical gel that enables objects to move through it, but only slowly and with a lot of squelching. Used as a deployable, it could be used to set traps and block doorways. It's some crazy stuff, which makes us all the more upset that Epic didn't like our idea for a jelly wrestling mini-game. Next time...

The Wait is Over – No more loading, no more disconnects

Seamless streaming of levels – it's a term we hear a lot these days, but one that's going to bring the most tangible benefits yet in UT2007. Not only does the streaming function of Unreal Engine 3 allow for much (much!) bigger and more detailed worlds, it's going to make a real difference to the way we play online games. Lead designer and lead programmer Steve Polge explains: "Right now, when you finish a game of CTF, everyone disconnects and spends a minute looking at the loading screen. That's a real loss of an opportunity to chat about the last match, talk about what you want to do for the next match and so on. Plus, when you get back into the game, you might not be on the same team as the people you were playing with, so there's a real loss of continuity there too. With streaming levels, what we're able to do is seamlessly load the new level while you're still hanging out in the old level discussing scores and tactics. And then when everyone's ready you just hiy go, and everyone jumps into the next level."
    Finally, there's this recap on various other comments found throughout the article:
    • May not be called UT2007 - "We figure it'll be out some time in 2006 so at the moment we're calling it UT2007, but that could change. We might not do numbers."
    • New 'Survival' gametype - "... sort of a 1-on-1 Deathmatch."
    • Feign death returns, better than ever! - "The new Novodex physics engine enables bodies to switch to and from a ragdoll state at will, meaning your faiting fits will look exactly like any other genuine ragdoll death. Ideally, you'll want to time it right. So, when a guy hits you with a rocket and almost kills you, you quickly feign death, then wait till he turns around and walks away to jump up again."
    • Gibbable bodies? - This is just speculation on my part, but the return of feign death implies the removal of the green-matrixy after-death 'derez' of UT2003/4. Maybe we'll be gibbing the dead ones again?
    • Focusing on the classics, too: "We're focusing a lot of our development on what we call the classic game types and really trying to refine those." and "We're tweaking movement, weapons, just making sure everything feels solid for DM and CTF. They'll be the modes we focus on... "
    • Vehicular CTF! - "...there will now be maps with vehicles, using streaming level technology to make environments ten times bigger than previously possible."
    • Necris vehicles more "alien" than others - " The vision is perhaps to create a more alien couterpoint to the very earthy designs of the existing set." and "...not so much in the mech tradition, but more insectoid"
    • Onslaught + Assault + RTS = Conquest? - In addition to there being RTS-style resource control (Tarydium), there is going to be some sort of a 'commander' role. "We want a sort of mid-level commander role, who has some overview of the battle and who's able to facilitate collaboration."
    Once you're done reading that, you're free to go grab a new pair of pants. God knows you'll need 'em.

Hehe, it's all over the place. Anyway, Selerox over at BuF went to the trouble to hand type a transcript. Check it out here if you like:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...5&postcount=15

Comment

Re: PU Recaps PC Zone UK UT2007 Preview

It needs more Pie! :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
        Hehe, it's all over the place. Anyway, Selerox over at BuF went to the trouble to hand type a transcript. Check it out here if you like:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...5&postcount=15
        Well, inside the archive that's doing the rounds over IRC (with the scans) is a text file with that exact text in it. He probably got it from there, unless he was the original typist.

Anyhow, this game looks and sounds better and better everytime I see something new on it. :0

Comment

Originally posted by vrxGz
          Well, inside the archive that's doing the rounds over IRC (with the scans) is a text file with that exact text in it. He probably got it from there, unless he was the original typist.

Anyhow, this game looks and sounds better and better everytime I see something new on it. :0
          Probably so. He typed it up this afternoon. There are a few typos, but hey... that's dedication!

Comment

Dude the links are broken of the higher res images... any mirrors?

Comment

waiting for everyone to load the map before the next round starts is bad

there will be people playing ut07 with 500mhz and 64mb ram, so does everyone on the server have to wait 10 minutes until they are finished with loading ?? :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by supernewbie
                waiting for everyone to load the map before the next round starts is bad

there will be people playing ut07 with 500mhz and 64mb ram, so does everyone on the server have to wait 10 minutes until they are finished with loading ?? :bulb:
                There wont be any loading times in UT2k7

Comment

there will, but they call it streaming

you can chat while the maps are loading in the background, but the new map doesnt start until the last player with the slowest pc has loaded it

Comment

I doubt you'll have to wait for everyone to load it. It seems like the server would be configured just like now. Wait for ready for everyone or once you load...game starts. There's no reason the server would have to wait for every last person....I can just hear it now, "well, my million dollar computer loaded the map already and I'm off to get a good head start on you guys. So long suckers!"

Comment

Re: PU Recaps PC Zone UK UT2007 Preview

Could that first one be a sniper?
                      I've been wondering about that. It could be the sniper, it could be the AVRiL. The fact that we can't quite tell doesn't make me very happy. (same with the flak cannon. It doesn't look like a flak cannon, rather it looks like a scrapped piece of a spaceship's engine)

Comment

its the hoverboard i beleive (unusual huh?) since in the article that picture goes with a little mini article about the hoverboard.

Comment

I'd like to see a server-side option of "preload entire map" for competitive matches where you don't want even the slightest hiccup. (and then the match would start when everybody loaded)

Comment

Re: Re: PU Recaps PC Zone UK UT2007 Preview

Originally posted by Boksha
                            I've been wondering about that. It could be the sniper, it could be the AVRiL. The fact that we can't quite tell doesn't make me very happy. (same with the flak cannon. It doesn't look like a flak cannon, rather it looks like a scrapped piece of a spaceship's engine)
                            I disagree... I think the flak looks like a flak. Granted, not the same flak we all know, but still a flak. Anyhow, I really like the style of the weapons we've seen so far.

Comment

Could that first one be a sniper? I wonder.
                              Hmm, it looks a bit too bulky to me... Sniper rifle should a sleek and elegant weapon (imho, of course). This looks more like some sort of a launcher.

Comment

Working...
                              X