Amd 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amd 64

Been around in a handfull PC-stores, and some say it doesnt matter if you got Windows xp home or xp pro running on your AMD 64machine, and some say AMD 64 doesnt use its full potential with home edition, u need Xp pro.

Any pc guru out there to comment.

However i ordered the following
    AMD 64 3000+
    Abit ax8 socket 939
    2x80 gig sata
    300 ati pci express (will upgrade ina few month)
    512 ram 400 (1 gig when next paycheck arrive)

IANE, but the main difference I have seen between WXPH v WXPP is that WXPP has more services you'll have to disable to reclaim RAM and processor time. Oh and it (WXPH) costs less. If you are building try to get an OEM version from a reputable dealer... then it costs a lot less. I was going to suggest Black Viper's site for tips on service killing but I see that he has taken his old site down. Here is a link to a thread on Annoyances.org with a link to an archive of BV's site and some other useful links.

Comment

Well, you want to get a 64 bit version if possible. I would expect Pro would be more likely to perform better. I know Pro can use multi cpus/cores, where home won't.

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming
        Well, you want to get a 64 bit version if possible. I would expect Pro would be more likely to perform better. I know Pro can use multi cpus/cores, where home won't.
        Before splurging on XP64 check whether the apllications you want to run comes in (or are likely to come in) 64-bit binaries. 32-bit binaries tend to perform worse under 64-bit Win than under 32-bit Win (according to the benches I've seen) and drivers are not as plentiful as for 32-bit Win. In my opinion XP64 is not worth it at this point.

As for the multicore/smp support, that's correct. Pro will support dual CPUs/cores while Home will only support HT. But unless you're investing in a dulacore CPU or an SMP machine that's not an issue.

Comment

Well, you will be buying a multicore in 2 years. Just trying to make the OS as future proof as possible.
          Yeah, drivers may be a problem right now. sigh
          The UT benchmarks (that I've seen, don't have any myself) show that running on Win64 is not really a big cost in FPS.

Personally I game on win2k server, cause I code for a living and a hobby.

So I think XP Pro 32 bit would be the current suggestion.

Comment

Well, you will be buying a multicore in 2 years. Just trying to make the OS as future proof as possible.
            That's good thinking. But since XP is being replaced by Longhorn in about the same time that dualcore/64-bit makes its entrance on the consumer market it might not matter in the end.

I'm not sure what stance MS is going to take on licensing and multicore but seeing how the push is to get multicore on the desktop I'd be surprised if LH doesn't support at least dualcore in its consumer edition.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe
              Before splurging on XP64 check whether the apllications you want to run comes in (or are likely to come in) 64-bit binaries. 32-bit binaries tend to perform worse under 64-bit Win than under 32-bit Win (according to the benches I've seen) and drivers are not as plentiful as for 32-bit Win. In my opinion XP64 is not worth it at this point.
              There is no "splurging" on XP64. You can buy XP Pro and upgrade to 64 for free from MS. Or you can buy a 64-bit machine with XP64 pre-installed.

myrslok, if you want to run a 64-bit OS, just know this: there aren't too many 64-bit apps for Windows right now. You may or may not see a negligible increase in the apps Your performance increase will pretty much only be seen when doing tasks specific to the OS. I'd stick with XP Pro for now. Home XP is okay but lacks of a lot things like the ability to tweak user accounts and networking. Pro gives you a lot more control over the OS.

Here is a link that should help you decide which OS is best for you...Windows XP Versions Comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
                There is no "splurging" on XP64. You can buy XP Pro and upgrade to 64 for free from MS. Or you can buy a 64-bit machine with XP64 pre-installed.
                And if you find that you don't want XP64 (due to driver issues or whatever) you can't use your converted key for regular XP anymore. Make sure XP64 is what you want first.

Comment

Hey, do any of the Semprons come in 64-bit?

Comment

Can you uppgrade a 32-bit system to 64-bit, and is home 32-bit and pro 64-bit, or will be soon?

Trying to get some facts from microsoft home page but it dont tell me much.

Btw thanks for all info.

Röpe-

Comment

Originally posted by myrslok
                      Can you uppgrade a 32-bit system to 64-bit, and is home 32-bit and pro 64-bit, or will be soon?

Trying to get some facts from microsoft home page but it dont tell me much.

Btw thanks for all info.

Röpe-
                      If you mean in terms of hardware, no. A 32-bit mb and CPU can't be converted to 64-bit, or run 64-but code. From what I understand, the AMD implementation of a 64-bit will run 32-bit applications quite well. Both Home and Pro are 32-bit. The 64-bit version of XPro is a different animal all together. If you have a copy of XPro you can trade it for the 64-version for the price of S&H, but you lose your XPro license in the process, plus it's a limited time offer.

I've decided to wait and see what the nextgen CPU's have to offer before I go 64-bit OS, even though I have a 64-bit CPU currently. This will give OEM's time to shift their products as well.

Comment

Run Linux :up:

Comment

That's completely false.

Home edition can handle multi cpu's/cores; hence hyper-threading works on Home edition too.

Comment

Originally posted by st_trooper
                            That's completely false.

Home edition can handle multi cpu's/cores; hence hyper-threading works on Home edition too.
                            No, XP Home supports HT but not SMP. Pro supports HT and 2-way SMP.

Comment

Originally posted by §pectre
                              Run Linux :up:
                              Maybe, is it hard to learn, and whats the advantage over windows?
                              Windows could be extremly overated but its all i tried so i cant compere,

Comment

Working...
                              X