(OT)Hiding icons in lower right corner of screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(OT)Hiding icons in lower right corner of screen

I want to hide an icon that is a clickable program on my screen. I want to still have access to it though. Anyone know what I am talking about? And if so how can I do this? Thank!

Do you mean send any program to the taskbar as a icon?

Comment

Not exactly, I am trying to hide one of the icons that is being displayed in the task bar.

Comment

Right Click on the taskbar and click on properties. Then go to Customize...

You have XP right?

Comment

If your referring to the System Tray, simply right click on an empty area of the system tray and select customize notifications. Here you will see a list of every icon that's ever been there, as well as current icons that are there. You can set one of three display options for each icon; Always Hide, Always Show, and Hide when Inactive. Please note this does not remove the icon from the tray, it will only change wether the icon appears always, when active, or wether you must click the button to the left of the icons to display hidden ones.

You can also change the size of these icons (as well as your window titlebar sizes) to better utilize screen realestate by right clicking on your desktop, selecting properties, and then going to the Appearence tab and selecting Advanced. Once this dialog box comes up, click on the close button in the preview area or select Caption Buttons from the drop down, and lower the size to 17. This will cause all window titlebars to go back to a smaller size, more like Windows 2000 titlebars (also available by selecting a Windows Classic scheme in the Appearence tab), and will also shrink the size of your system tray icons so that you can now have two rows of them when they are displayed. This will cut down on lost taskbar space due to icons in the tray.

Also, if you want to permantly remove annoying icons from appearing in your system tray, you can usually configure options for icons from the associated program's settings. Some malicious spyware/adware programs will install annoying things that run in your system tray and pop up notifications at intervals. Your best bet for things like this would be to attempt to uninstall the application causing the problem, and then running a full system spyware and adware scan. If you can't remove the malicous program, your antispyware or antiadware program can probably do it.

Hope this helps.:up:

Comment

I've been trying to figure that out for a while - Some icons I want access to all the time, some I'd rather find and delete. Thanks for the tip - I'll check it when I get home (XP).

Comment

Working...
            X