Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT : Whats the Diffrence Between FireFox and IE?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OT : Whats the Diffrence Between FireFox and IE?

    Hey everyone just a quik question, what is the diffrence between firefox and IE and which is better>?

    #2
    Firefox>IE

    too many reasons to mention

    Comment


      #3
      Yeah, what he said.

      www.mozilla.org

      Download now! :up:

      Comment


        #4
        Don't uninstall IE, tho- FF has a LOT of compatibility issues (mostly with downloading files)

        Comment


          #5
          Yup,try running windows update with FF :haha:
          No seriously I was getting annoyed by all the pop-ups in IE,
          with FF that's all history!

          Comment


            #6
            DownLoad Firefox NOW!

            Comment


              #7
              The major differences:
              • Firefox is more stable
              • Firefox is more secure
              • Firefox is better supported
              • Firefox has tabbed browsing (IE7 is supposed it too, though)
              • Firefox has extensions
              • Firefox complies with W3C standards (especially in pertinance to CSS.)
              Originally posted by da ghost
              Don't uninstall IE, tho- FF has a LOT of compatibility issues (mostly with downloading files)
              Well, it's hella' difficult to uninstall IE anyhow - MS has stupidly integrated it into the OS so intensively that it's pratically impossible to seperate the two. In Longhorn, IE and explorer.exe are rumoured to be the same executable, even.

              Also, I have a nitpick about something you said; FF doesn't have compatibility issues - websites do. As I said before, FF complies with W3C standards, while IE does not. As thus, code that works IE (and shouldn't) often doesn't work in most other browsers. As usual, that's the fault of IE in conjunction with unprofessional web-developmers.

              Nevertheless, it's a smart idea to keep IE for both the reason you mentioned, and - if you're a web developer - for cross-browser-compatibility testing purposes.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by vrxGz
                The major differences:
                • Firefox is more stable
                • Firefox is more secure
                • Firefox is better supported

                BONK.

                These 3 are complete exaggerations, sorry. The first two, stability and security, are user dependant. Anyone with a brain in their head that updates their software regularly isn't going to have an unstable insecure IE.

                Firefox isn't better supported. It's full of little quirks with everything from streaming media to the way it processess gif animations to file downloading. Also not all advanced design pages appear normally in Firefox.


                Both browsers are nice, but this 3rd party trendiness horse**** has just lead to people assuming anything non-M$ is the new jesus, which it's not.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Firefox has got the stuff that IE hasent. However, IE is a Windows product, which means you need IE to update and that. There are programs that are available as addons to make IE function safer.

                  However, Firefox updates faster and has many options that IE just cant do atm. Opera is a good alternate however you need to pay for that software.

                  So, to clarify your question: You need to make the decision for yourself since threads like this tend to attract fanboyism and flames.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Cursive
                    BONK.

                    These 3 are complete exaggerations, sorry. The first two, stability and security, are user dependant. Anyone with a brain in their head that updates their software regularly isn't going to have an unstable insecure IE.

                    Firefox isn't better supported. It's full of little quirks with everything from streaming media to the way it processess gif animations to file downloading. Also not all advanced design pages appear normally in Firefox.

                    Both browsers are nice, but this 3rd party trendiness horse**** has just lead to people assuming anything non-M$ is the new jesus, which it's not.
                    While I agree that people assuming anything non-MS is the new Jesus and the prevalence of 3rd-party software being popular merely because of 'trendiness' is quite annoying, I disagree with everything else you've said, because in this situation, I feel it's not just trendiness that's causing Firefox to come out on top. Here's why:
                    • Stability: I have way more crashes with IE, and hardly any with Firefox.
                    • Support: As far as I've seen, Firefox patches and fixes are much more frequent than those for IE, and deployed much more quickly. Basically, problems exist longer in IE.
                    • Security: While it's definitely possible to secure IE much more than it initially is, Firefox is more secure 'out-of-the-box,' and requires much less effort to keep secure. Again, holes and issues exist longer in IE.
                    • "Quirks": As I stated before, alot of these issues are attributable to the way sites have been designed - not the actual browser. Your point about advanced design pages not appearing correctly in Firefox is a perfect example of this; stupid web-developers often write bad IE-specific code, and since IE doesn't comply with W3C standards, the broken code is obviously broken in a browser that actually reads it correctly. However, I'm not saying Firefox is infallible - it does have some of it's own issues, too.


                    That's my take on the situation.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      opera for teh win :up:

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I think my biggest problem with firefox is that the glow on my sig doesnt show up...:bulb: :cry:

                        Oh, and I ran into one website that was supposed to work better with ff than ie, but didnt work at all with ff...but other than that...

                        It takes up less space on your screen, it comes automatically with a search bar that has multiple engines, and can add more. Finally, it automatically transfers all your bookmarks/favorites from i.e.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Well I personaly dont like FireFox, maybe just because I had IE for a long time, but also because I have absolutely no problem with IE. If I ever have stability problem with it, I would change but otherwise it doesnt matter to me.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by psychopath666
                            I think my biggest problem with firefox is that the glow on my sig doesnt show up...:bulb: :cry:
                            What glow?!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by eviL<3
                              What glow?!
                              +1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X