This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jezza101
    have you spoken to the guy in question? He may genuinly not realise that he has done a bad thing...?
    On the whole people are pretty good about this kind of thing.

tbh theres isnt much you can do, I guess there is a legal argument in your favour but realistically what could you ever hope to win and at what cost?!

At the least you should be flattered that someone liked your work that much. Id also try to contact him in a polite manner - go in all guns blazing and he will get defensive, but give him an opportunity to apologise and he probably will. Kindly ask him to respect your work and unless he is a genuine *** Im sure you will get a positive response...

GL!
    This poster speaketh wisdom! :up:

Comment

I haven'T played it yet. But somehow people managed to make a BR map out of DM-FST-SpaceNoxx :bulb:

http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/mapstats.php?map=5700

Only 4 matches after which they probably found out that this map wasn't made for BR. :bulb: :bulb:

Comment

One thing I believe this thread is overlooking is the fact that BBQScuddbutt is a kanker sore on the mouth of the UTCommunity.

He should be drawn and quartered, and I encourage everyone to not play on his retarded newb infested server.

Comment

I always suggest getting even in the coldest possible way... good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
            This is an annoying topic. I personally GPL any code I release publicly. And if I got into mapping I would sure want people to modify my maps: to learn, to change what they don't like, to make it better suited for a particuliar purpose, to allow it to develop, to encourage re-use of content, whatever.

Being able to re-use content or ideas allows for a faster and larger output of content for the game. I guess I just have a disgust for enforcing intellectual property rights in general. To me it only slows things down and hinders progress in general. You just have to take a look at the US patent office, granting patents on making peanut butter sandwiches, using your legs to go faster on a swing, using a torch to entertain a cat or the method of opening bras with one hand, one click to buy something online, etc...

When you derive profit and make a living from IP, there is some argument in favour of you having a temporary monopoly on the ownership and distribution of whatever it is you made, because it allows you to buy food and live and as the creator you have some right to make limited profit from it temporarily. When by virtue of its nature, for example game mods and game maps, you do not make monetary profit from it, it's nonsense to try to enforce sole right of ownership. Will this guy making a modified version of your map prevent you from distributing yours, affect your income, make its inclusion in your portfolio any less impressive. What I genuinely don't understand is why it annoys you that someone else is using it?

Even if he did put his name on it and did not acknowledge the source of the conent and did a poor copy-and-paste job, I ask you two questions. Will one (or perhaps a few) asshats make it better to lock your content and cut out people who would happily indicate you as a source and find your work good enough to re-use some of the content or make a modded version of your map with say, different weapon placements, or simply learn from you? The positives things in this: an extra map for the game, some people who might enjoy it when playing on that "non-competative noob" (sic) server. The negatives, some unimportant ***-hat not paying you due respect, and the sole hurt party is your ego. Does it really affect you in any other way except **** you off because of not getting some respect back from one person?

P.S: Knowing Angel_Mapper's position on this subject and her anti-theft script, I would like to know your personal reasons for being averse to people modifying your maps too. No flaming plz.
            Copyrighting stuff like entertaining a cat with a torch is obviously weird.
            However I take offense at the idea that ameteur efforts have less right to copyright than something you make money with.
            If someone does something for non financial reasons, there's a decent chance that it's something important to them, and if theyre not getting credit for it, then it lessens the incentive for them to do it again. This is especially true when it's easy for them to claim credit for other peoples work instead.

That said, I hope you keep at it kevinroe327, in the knowledge that your're making cool stuff and most people appreciate the work you put in

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
              When your map is final and ready for release, delete all the BSP brushes and save the map for upload somewhere. Makes map piracy much harder.
              This is a truely brilliant idea! Thanks a ton! I was going to post in the "ask epic" thread about a "read only" map file...but this is the next best thing. Thanks!

Originally posted by Cursive
              One thing I believe this thread is overlooking is the fact that BBQScuddbutt is a kanker sore on the mouth of the UTCommunity.

He should be drawn and quartered, and I encourage everyone to not play on his retarded newb infested server.
              Yeah, its because he did it, and did it so poorly...

Comment

I have been down this road, so to speak. Here is a good link on copyright protection that you should read.

Your work is automatically copyrighted when it is created.

The real question is, do you want to spend money going after a young person in court who more than likely has nothing to begin with. You CAN force a website from distributing your copyrighted material if they are doing so without your permission.

Comment

I have a question along the lines of this topic; would it be okay if i copied the stands from ONS-Tricky and put it in my map and added some more stuff to them?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinroe327
                    This is a truely brilliant idea! Thanks a ton! I was going to post in the "ask epic" thread about a "read only" map file...but this is the next best thing. Thanks!
                    Actually, people have been using this idea for quite some time. It was more effective in the past, though, because almost everything was BSP.

Originally posted by [EH]Xenocide
                    I have a question along the lines of this topic; would it be okay if i copied the stands from ONS-Tricky and put it in my map and added some more stuff to them?
                    Most of the time, people don't mind if you take a few brushes/meshes - it's when you blatantly rip the map off that you get in trouble. As thus, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you doing that.

Comment

At the end just deal with the fact. Going after them is a big waste of your time. Keep mapping and those things will not matter in the long run. If you’re into mapping to the point that you think you might want to go into the industry care even less. Just focus on what you do and forget about the copycats. Plenty of people will do this and you could go and win a case in court with this info but is it really worth the aggravation?

Like said before you do not need to copyright it for it to be copyrighted. It is already copyrighted when you create the design/art piece. Even if it was a ctf-cube… map… And we all know we have made cube rooms as practice, imagine all the people the main creator of the cube map would sue.

Comment

Re: Map Piracy

Originally posted by kevinroe327
                        At the very least, I am asking you to boycott this map and his server.
                        No prob, it looks **** anyway

Originally posted by q03
                        Did you copywrite the maps before you released them?
                        If you did go see a lawer.
                        If you didn't there isn't much you can do.
                        Here, no copyright means implicit and highly restrictive (c).
                        You only have the rights the author explicitly granted you to have

I advise no legal action but spreading information so that boycott is more effective.

Comment

Password protected lockable maps would kick ***. But still have an option to let the map be viewable.

Because deleted BSP can still be intersected / deintersected.

Comment

should answer most of your questions:
                            http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Mod_Copyright

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive

Amen..

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2
                                Password protected lockable maps would kick ***. But still have an option to let the map be viewable.

Because deleted BSP can still be intersected / deintersected.
                                And that often even results in maps with less BSP errors as you only have ONE complex Brush. I had to do this for Sacrifice][. When I used several Brushes I had BSP wholes. SO I intersected the Brushes and the resulting brush didn't have any errors.

Comment

Working...
                                X