Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Draz you are right, they would be the only ones defending him and his juvenile actions. Even some of his former supporters don't. I've known him since 2k3 and he's not changed one iota no matter how many people tell him what kind of a puerile little clown he is.

To the post where it was said everything he does is for the benefit of the community . . you need to put the rose colored glasses down or windex them A LOT better.

Comment

Originally posted by MajikMyst
      Your right he is comparing the two different things, and if your one of the few that don't know the difference between a moon and a sun, then you have a real deficit in the intelligence catagory.

I am sorry that my quote and his quote confuse you so much. Perhaps a lesson in religious and solar history.

You would learn that the word 'Sun' is the word used to describe the star at the center of our galaxy. The word 'Sun' dates back to long before the Roman Empire. In either case, the sun is not a sun, but a star. Just one of the many scientifc errors that religion has left with us.
      His quote was not to be taken literally, it was meant to be taken figuratively. What he is saying is that the people in this thread are talking about two different things. As for the whole sun not being a sun, but really a star, you are retarted. "Sun" is not a term used for something different than a star, "Sun" is a term used to describe a specific star. To say that something is not itself is just plain ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSiN
        When it becomes about props and about credit, you have lost sight of what modding is really about… Creating cool new stuff for people to enjoy.

Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by NapalmDawn
          Yes Draz you are right, they would be the only ones defending him and his juvenile actions.
          Um wrong, go count again. And plz dont misinterpret a position
          of indifference as being supportive.

Some of them know him personally and have met him before in
          real life. You get a different perspective about people when
          you know them beyond the anonymity of the internet.
          But I suppose you would not understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by {GOG}R4d4
            His quote was not to be taken literally, it was meant to be taken figuratively. What he is saying is that the people in this thread are talking about two different things. As for the whole sun not being a sun, but really a star, you are retarted. "Sun" is not a term used for something different than a star, "Sun" is a term used to describe a specific star. To say that something is not itself is just plain ignorant.
            We call our star a sun, that by no means that you couldn't use the word sun to describe another star. Our planet revolves around our star. Someone else's planet revolves around another star, and they could also call that a sun.

In short a sun is simply a general term and doesn't identify anything. Neither does the word star, but at least star is more scientifically accepted.

Your ignorance is duly noted.

Comment

We call our star a sun, that by no means that you couldn't use the word sun to describe another star. Our planet revolves around our star. Someone else's planet revolves around another star, and they could also call that a sun.

In short a sun is simply a general term and doesn't identify anything. Neither does the word star, but at least star is more scientifically accepted.

uuhm falling in on the deep side here but couldn't resist

sun is a word and words identify things - thats the way we communicate, no? so all words have meanings ascribed to by us to identify well, things - otherwise we'd still be talkin (grunting?) about the red firery thingie in the sky... whats a sky??

so sun is *not* a general term with no meaning - its a word with which we understand each other talkin bout the same thing.....

get it? :bulb:

for the record I know NOTHIN about copyright laws, intelectual property and the EULA everyone keeps on swearing about - but it does seem some of us are missing the others points and vice versa - zero communication even with all the fancy words

have a GREAT weekend!

ps in my language it is "son" and in Korean "he"

Comment

They don't understand the multinational treaties involved to protect the rights of software companies world wide.
                And what you haven't understood is the difference between international treaties - which confer a veneer of mutual protection of intellectual property - and each nation's laws.

To spell it out to you clearly: If the USA has a copyright treaty with Germany, that doesn't imply in any manner that any US laws are applicable, defendable or binding in Germany.

A concrete example might make this clearer. Tax evasion is a crime in the USA, but in Switzerland it's a misdemeanour. The US and the Swiss have dozens of agreements on the exchange of judicial information, but the Swiss will not supply information concerning tax evasion to other countries because it's not a crime in Switzerland. Identical logic applies patent and copyright law.

Comment

I think that MajikMyst is a needed comedy relief for this thread which would otherwise get too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                    I think that MajikMyst is a needed comedy relief for this thread which would otherwise get too serious.
                    :haha::up:

Comment

Again you are wrong. First of all, its not 'a sun', its 'the sun'. Sun is not a general term, its a specific term for a specific object, and it does identify something, it identifies the star in the center of our solar system.

And who cares if "someone" else used the word sun to describe the star they revolve around? Thats like saying once someone uses Alex or John or Susy or Jill for their first name nobody else could use it, and if they did it would somehow diminish the meaning of that word. People usually say you should quit while you are ahead, but in your case you should quit while your behind, because you just keep going farther and farther back. Then again, many people are taking great pleasure in reading your stupid posts. Maybe you should keep posting to keep some humor in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                        Tss, tss, what a silly boy I am *smacks forehead* and all along I thought he was serious.

Sorry MajikMyst, do keep up the tom-foolery, it really is most entertaining. :haha:

[on-topic]
                        ****, what was the topic now?

- Map resource piracy?
                        - The existential meaning of (the/a) sun?
                        - International copyright law
                        [/on-topic]

*frowns and scratches head*

Comment

Originally posted by maurice2
                          ****, what was the topic now?
                          comedy

Comment

I just wanted to mention that this topic (the original one anyway) applies not just to maps, but to mods and mutators as well. It's not very cool to take bits and pieces of other people's mods and mutators either. Yet this happens often.

There's not much you can do about it, and arguing legal terms seems pretty silly. The main thing you can do I guess is rely on the 'community' to put a negative stigma on those types of practices, and maybe even pressure those folks to stop what they are doing. In the past, this has worked fairly well.

But what concerns me the most is the growing number of gamers who seem to think that this type of behavior is OK. Even attempting to justify it with such outrageous claims as "it's doing the community a service". It is my opinion that those claims cannot be farther from the truth.

While it sounds all nice and rosy to say that all the work done by mappers and modders should be instantly and freely available source material for all others, like we are all one big happy commune or something, I don't think it is realistic.

As has been mentioned already on the topic of maps, sometimes folks work very hard, and often for extended periods of time, to create features for mods and mutators as well. It can be pretty disheartening after all that work to see pieces of it taken apart and repackaged and re-released. Especially, as has been mentioned, when so many times it happens with not so much as a request made, and/or credit given.

To claim that treating fellow gamers who have freely donated their time and skills in this manner is "helping the community", seems pretty bizarre to me.

On one of the other topics here - I don't believe there is any general problems with the common uses of terms like "sun" or "star". The sun is a medium sized star. And while there are many types of stars out there, not all of them share the same qualities as our sun.

A better question nowadays is trying to define the term "planet". Lot's of ongoing discussion there.

And of course whether or not a planet in orbit around a star similiar to our sun might have someone looking back at us. :alien: I want to believe that it's true, and the odds are in my favor. (but remember, when they come, they're going to eat the fat ones first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                              Im going to argue about the sun because its more interesting that this legal mumbo jumbo.

The "Sun", is the name we have given the star which is central to our Solar System. Although their is no restriction to give another star the same name, it just wouldn't be very useful, as far as names go. :up:
                              Wait, I thought it was a moon!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinroe327
                                Wait, I thought it was a moon!
                                The full moon?

Comment

Working...
                                X