Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT2007 community

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    [Discord]
    That is the most coherent reasoning I have seen in a while.
    The issue of allowing new people to ease into the game has some merit. Would we gain more than we would lose? Maybe. People just starting up the game do have a myriad of choices, and probably feel a bit intimidated(sp) by the whole thing. Epic has some hard decisions to make. I won't pretend to know whats the right choice, for them or us. At least your approach has some thought behgind it, and possibly some merit. Adding the other stuff back in after a bit, yeah, I guess I could accept that, as long as I knew ahead of time that it would be there.
    Note though, it has to be a free update, maybe even online and be able to choose which new features you wanted. That could get some real nice PR spin, if people aren't too ticked at the omission of their fav mute in the 'first release'.

    I suspect they are going more for the 'this game is so frickin awesome' response that everyone will jump in regardless.

    In summary, I think you may be on to something.

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by Kreskin
      Care to explain why and how do you know it?
      Because Id knows how to make games geared for competition. Yes I know Raven is making Quake 4, but it's still being developed under close supervision by Id. Id cares about the competitive community, as it's made obvious by the yearly QuakeCon.

      Epic has never catered to the competitive community and I doubt they ever will, which is why I predict Q4 will be bigger than UT2007 (competitively). They completely missed their chance of having UT2004 as the CPL World Tour game, which would have greatly helped the competitive community.

      Also, the quake series has tons of followers, so as long as the game is good it will be succesful. I predict UT2007 will be a fun game and will sell well, but when it comes to competitive gaming, I doubt it'll keep up with Quake 4.

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by DaniFilth
        Because Id knows how to make games geared for competition. Yes I know Raven is making Quake 4, but it's still being developed under close supervision by Id. Id cares about the competitive community, as it's made obvious by the yearly QuakeCon.

        Epic has never catered to the competitive community and I doubt they ever will, which is why I predict Q4 will be bigger than UT2007 (competitively). They completely missed their chance of having UT2004 as the CPL World Tour game, which would have greatly helped the competitive community.

        Also, the quake series has tons of followers, so as long as the game is good it will be succesful. I predict UT2007 will be a fun game and will sell well, but when it comes to competitive gaming, I doubt it'll keep up with Quake 4.
        Quake was never geared towards competitive play (user mods like ktpro helped it sustain latter though)
        Quake2 wasn't and originally had no DM maps (DM on SP maps only on release) or CTF, OSP went a long way to fix Q2 re comp
        Quake3 was geared more towards being newbie friendly (armour decay etc...), CPMA/OSP turned it into a competitive game

        But even if it's not by design, I will agree that id have had more success re competitive play. Normally assisted by a user mod though.

        BTW it's 'id' without the capital, they're quite **** about that.

        For the record I've clocked up more hours with the Quake series then Unreal/UT. I enjoy both because they are different enough to offer diversity in play.

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by NulEnvoid
          But even if it's not by design, I will agree that id have had more success re competitive play. Normally assisted by a user mod though.
          I agree, but it's not like UT200x didn't require a user mod to be more suitable for competition.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by DaniFilth
            You just contradicted yourself right there. If the standard servers only box was unchecked by default, then even more people would play in random mutator servers, thus breaking the community even more.
            Some people have the ability to play on servers that aren't all the same, you know.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by placebo
              Some people have the ability to play on servers that aren't all the same, you know.
              I have that ability too, you'd have to be mentally challenged not to have that ability. I just decide not to use that ability that often.

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by DaniFilth
                I agree, but it's not like UT200x didn't require a user mod to be more suitable for competition.
                I wouldn't disagree with that at all, just saying id themselves aren't overly great at getting it right as well without outside assistance.

                Thats where you will find some good in mutators, just stay away from the 'circus' servers that run ridiculous combinations.

                Comment

                Working...
                X