This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2007 community

The move from ut99 - ut2003 - ut2004 wasnt very successfull imo. I look at the community and ladders of ut99 and see there is probably 4x as many people playing it than ut2004. I hope ut2007 manages to take some of the ut99 community, and the game itself is more about the gameplay than graphics. Epic should offer massive cash prizes for competitions in ut2007 to help attract a huge community to where is should be.

i'm sorry, but your really deserve it : K

Comment

Of course, cash prizes will build a large and stable community.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
        Of course, cash prizes will build a large and stable community.
        Well I don't know about cash prizes, but maybe Massive cash prizes would do the trick.

Comment

Epic should simply offer a game that's worthy for competition that's balanced and simplistic. Not one that has a million different mutators and a million different ways to divide the community.

UT99 worked because there weren't many other multiplayer FPS games out at the time, and there was only TDM/1v1 and CTF really. Aside from instagib, most people were playing/talking about the same game. That's what creates community, and that's what Epic needs to realize.

Comment

I read somewhere that according to gamespy stats ut2004 online play has doubled! from 4000>> 8000 average over the last 6 months (ut has an average of about 2500-3000 i think).

Their is only one thing that i blame epic for. Advertizing on television. Indeed. Their wasnt any. Well not where i live anyway.

So community is still pretty big and seems like growing. I do think putting ALL mods/gametypes on just one semi-official site would help a lot to. We all read forums and watch sites. But 95% of newbies and casual ut players dont.

Comment

Advertising seems to be changing a bit though. Been seeing the UC2 ads on TV and hell, made me want to buy an xbox even if I hardly saw any real gameplay on it :P

Comment

Originally posted by mr bubble
                Their is only one thing that i blame epic for. Advertizing on television. Indeed. Their wasnt any. Well not where i live anyway.
                that's atari's fault, not EPIC.

Comment

I read somewhere that according to gamespy stats ut2004 online play has doubled! from 4000>> 8000 average over the last 6 months (ut has an average of about 2500-3000 i think).
                  I'm not sure where you got that from, but you can see the actual figures for yourself if you go to www.csports.net and then click on "Top Games" on the left, and it'll tell you exactly how many people are online.

I just checked and it's just over 1,900 for UT2K4 and just under 1,900 for UT. Of course, a big majority of the UT players are from the insta & sniper communities, while a big majority of the 2k4 players are playing ONS.

Of course, the numbers will go up a fair amount in primetime, but I don't think it gets anywhere *close* to 8k players (even 4k is probably a peak for as many as are ever on at the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive
                    Epic should simply offer a game that's worthy for competition that's balanced and simplistic. Not one that has a million different mutators and a million different ways to divide the community.

UT99 worked because there weren't many other multiplayer FPS games out at the time, and there was only TDM/1v1 and CTF really. Aside from instagib, most people were playing/talking about the same game. That's what creates community, and that's what Epic needs to realize.
                    UT99 still has a big community because so many people with 1999 computers play it. Not to say that if you play UT99, then your comp sucks, but people think that UT2004=Great Graphics= high-end everything, so they don't try it.

And taking away mutators would be a bad idea. It's one of the things that sets UT apart from every other game. And UT99 isn't just TDM DM and CTF anymore- look at the types of games. It's now about 75% sniperXXxxxXX servers and half of them have custom sniper rifles on 129884219 maps.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost
                      And taking away mutators would be a bad idea.
                      No, no it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniFilth
                        No, no it wouldn't.
                        Oh yes, it will, o satanic member that gets 1 WL a week on average.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost
                          Oh yes, it will, o satanic member that gets 1 WL a week on average.
                          Wow, I feel dissed.

If you don't think removing mutators will help make a more solid community, then you're pretty **** dumb. All these mutators only break the community, and I really doubt mutators are a big factor when it comes to how many people buy the game. It's not like people are gonna be: "omg, this game has like 1000 mutators, I must buy it now!".

Comment

Originally posted by DaniFilth
                            All these mutators only break the community
                            Yes, they do absolutely nothing else for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedsteve
                              Yes, they do absolutely nothing else for anyone.
                              Well obviously some people like them and have fun with them, but I think removing them would bring more than it would take away.

Comment

Working...
                              X