Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by placebo

ownt
    You didn't show anything the on the first post like that. It just sounded like something the token mac guy would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz007
      You didn't show anything the on the first post like that. It just sounded like something the token mac guy would say.
      , sorry.

Comment

30 to 40 physical objects that you can interact with onscreen, but systems with a PPU add-in card will be able to support more than 30,000 objects on screen.
        Cool.

I wonder if the new X Box will have this chip.

I bet next would be a dedicated AI chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrii
          Your talking about the PC software version, if it's to be used in consoles, then I'd understand epic having anything to do with it, but at the moment, UE3 is said to use havok physics. I've heard no different yet.
          Umm, Epic never annouced the use of Havok with UE3 by them, its always been novodex since they mentioned the change in physics APIs, and that was before the PPU thing.

Comment

Epic's Tim Sweeney must be wrong then
            I said till I heard different, don't get smarmy.

He sounds like he's pitching both products, if they think people are gonna buy an add-on card just to play a game when half the gaming population have never even opened a PC and seen what's inside, he's very wrong.

I think software solution is the only way to go. Unless these marvels are magically gonna be on everyone's PC by the end of 2006.

Even bug-fixes and upgrade to a CHIP are gonna be very hard. "Oops, we made you pay £150 to have everything fall through the world when you hit this cool button"

Is there any more ways I can iterate that add-on cards/chips are NO-GO.

May I also say that Tim says that they've been working with ageia on Novadex since inception... FALSE, as I said, novadex was originally made by the swiss federal institute of technology which was quickly brought by in 2003 ageia along with Novadex.

Comment

No news of Linux in the whitepapers; Mac OS X confirmed.

If it's coming to Mac OS X, it's probably going to be a relatively easy port to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrii
                I said till I heard different, don't get smarmy.

He sounds like he's pitching both products, if they think people are gonna buy an add-on card just to play a game when half the gaming population have never even opened a PC and seen what's inside, he's very wrong.

I think software solution is the only way to go. Unless these marvels are magically gonna be on everyone's PC by the end of 2006.

Even bug-fixes and upgrade to a CHIP are gonna be very hard. "Oops, we made you pay £150 to have everything fall through the world when you hit this cool button"

Is there any more ways I can iterate that add-on cards/chips are NO-GO.

May I also say that Tim says that they've been working with ageia on Novadex since inception... FALSE, as I said, novadex was originally made by the swiss federal institute of technology which was quickly brought by in 2003 ageia along with Novadex.
                From the articals I have read, their long term goal is to have the PPU inlcuded on the motherboard or Graphics card eventually

Think about it from when the first 3D accel cards came out, alot of people didn't buy them, and just keept with the software rendering, eventually it became what it is today. I personally hope to see the same in this case.

http://img260.echo.cx/img260/1156/ageia9cn.jpg

No news of Linux in the whitepapers; Mac OS X confirmed.

If it's coming to Mac OS X, it's probably going to be a relatively easy port to Linux.
                The hardware (kernel) side of this is VERY different between OS X and Linux. Unlike the game programming side of things, where OS specific code isn't as common, Kernel drivers (which will be required to use the PPU) is mostly OS specific.

I still think its possible, just have to wait and see though.

Comment

Fundimentally it's just a big parallised maths cruncher. I am sure they can adapt it to run with a number of different libraries. All it will do is intercept the hard-to-do physics calculations and do them on this card instead of the processor. A bit like graphics cards intercept 3d drawing instructions, but if they didn't them most of the time the processor can still do it (just very slowly).

Comment

Thanks Chrizz !

I'm curious to see the price of this new hardware...

Comment

From what I've read (sorry, don't have a link), the PPU will be detected by software, and if present, the software can use high-detail physics in the game/application. If it's not detected, the software falls back to a lower detail physics engine such as those available at the moment.

This way, if you have a PPU, everything in the world looks lovelly and 'acts exactly as the laws of physics dictate'. If you don't have a PPU, things don't look quite as lovelly, and 'act vaguely as the laws of physics dictate - which is what we have now'.

An example I read about was of an exploding building. With the PPU present, the software was able to calculate and render thousands of separate bits of debris flying through the air - all acting according to the laws of physics. Without the PPU, the software drew far fewer fragments of the building, and thier behaviour was approximately correct.

@Pyrii - Chill out dude! I'm sure if we all have 3D cards in our machines right now, we will also have a PPU somewhere in our machines in a year or two if they are marketed correctly. Just think where we would be right now if noone thought GPUs were a pretty neat idea. You are entitle to your opinion, but just calm down a bit please

With regard to getting a PPU card running on Linux: if you can get it to run in Windows, you can get it to run in ANY OS that runs on the PC. It's only software after all!

Comment

Working...
                      X