Novadex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

11fps in big bang at start, average of about 6, although it crashed mine too, lol suddenly dropped to like 1.84fps at end and then it froze :S

also, ut2007 does not require a PPU. in one of the videos or something i watched/read they said that UE3 has full support for them, but the games will not require them.
      thats not to say you wont see a performance increase, theoretically yes you would, cause any pressure taken off the cpu will free it up to perform the rest of its tasks quicker.

Comment

What the christ I cant get it working. :[

Comment

All physics that affect gameplay (eg. a barrel that rolls down a hill and kills someone) will still be done by the cpu. The ppu will only be handling objects not important to gameplay, purely aesthetic effects. This means that you can still play the game without a ppu. As for network lag, only objects that are important to gameplay will be communicated over the network. This means that all the grass, particle effects, etc. would not increase lag but barrels would.

Comment

i'm confused.. is a ppu like a pci card?

Comment

Originally posted by And I Fall
              i'm confused.. is a ppu like a pci card?
              As far as I know, yes. It's a Physics Processing Unit, so it will handle all of the physics so your CPU can do more important things.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                Everyone welcome the 3rd person on INA with a brain.
                lol thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                  Everyone welcome the 3rd person on INA with a brain.

Exactly spot on, visual effects only. Only possible scaleable feature when playing online. :up:
                  Wrong. Ageia's physics engine (this includes hair, cloth, barrels, bone hierarchies) will either be done entirely by the CPU, or entirely by the PhysX unit. It says on their site that whether it's running on the CPU or PhysX unit, they both use the same commands and API.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                    Wrong. Ageia's physics engine (this includes hair, cloth, barrels, bone hierarchies) will either be done entirely by the CPU, or entirely by the PhysX unit. It says on their site that whether it's running on the CPU or PhysX unit, they both use the same commands and API.
                    I was going by what I read in a magazine for game developers. Even if they use the same commands and API, there must be a way to choose whether the CPU or the PPU does the work on seperate objects. Why shouldn't there be?

Comment

I installed this demo and it froze my PC after about 30 seconds. Every time I play a game now, my PC freezes almost instantly or the display gets corrupted. I re-installed Windows and everything and the problem still occurs. Conclusion: this fine piece of software destroyed my graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro on WinXP SP2). Thank you people for making such great software!

So you might consider this a warning: I wouldn't even touch that piece of **** with a 10 foot pole if I were you. :down:

Comment

ha ha ha
                        sorry to hear that

i thought novadex sucked up your cpu not graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                          That's up to the game engine, not Ageias API. Any instruction sent to the API will be run on a PPU if one is found or else on the CPU. The engine can still choose to process other stuff itself (and will certainly do so).

It's going to be like Psyk said.

Comment

As far as ppu's go, i think it can be a very good idea. Sure if you run your hellbender into a building now, you lose health, but it dosent look any diffrent, wouldnt it be nice to have it crumple dynamicly? Or if your playing a RPG, wouldnt it be nice to see the wind blow through the trees realisticly? Sure, a ppu sounds useless about now, but i think there can be a very good place for it in the generation of games after, or maybe sooner for some games, than UT2007.

Come to think of it, did you look at the picture of the bug on the AGEIA page?? Doing something even close to that cant be easy on the CPU, or at this point a PPU.

Comment

Working...
                            X