Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new computer (computer recommendations ctnd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about the needing to get a DVI monitor, i was planning on getting an xfx 6800 ultra and that comes with two converters for the DVI ports to make them to VGA out. I don't know of the BFGtech version comes with those but if so, you have some more options with monitors

it comes with two of these:
    http://www.elsa-jp.co.jp/support/photo/DVI-DSUB.jpg

Comment

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-03.html

nuff said

and btw, i heard alot of complaints from ppl that attended ECG (europen Cyber Games) where they had 19" 8ms (or was it 12ms) Samsung monitors, and each single of those players said "it was okay", but would have them on daily basis, and alot of them complained about them not being reponsive enough.

so id say DONT go for lcd yet, maybe in half a year or maybe sooner something ghost free will come out, but so far i dont belive theres anything worth buying out there.

ppl that say they play good and cant see ghosting on their lcd's are either to used to them, or not THAT good players, because its just as with monitors as it is with all others, the better you are in the game, the higher the chances for you noticeing something is wrong (low fps, stutting, highping, pl etc etc) is WAY higher.....

the first months i played ut i played with high detail, and low fps, now i can barely play with an fps dropping to 60, same goes for ping, before i played with 70 np, now i tend to get ****** and "feel lag" when ping goes above 45.......

Comment

Lcd tft all the way baby :up: ( sony rulez ktnx)

Comment

SUTTONATOR, if you want a place to get all of your computer stuff from, try NEWEGG.COM. I've been building systems for friends and family and they are quick to deliver! They also have a 'Wish List' as part of the store so you can store your choices and watch the prices fall and/or make changes if you want. I got a price for memory for a friend and 2 weeks later when he had the cash, the price had dropped $5. Most every item has buyer opinions too.

Check it out

Comment

Originally posted by bemymonkey
            lcd is no good for gaming unless you get one with 12ms or 8ms response time. stay the hell away from those sony's.

I've had a samsung syncmaster 172x for a while now (supposedly the best gaming lcd available at the time i bought it, about 4 months ago) and it still sucks when compared to crt... that's why I'm running dual monitors, so that i've got a crt to game on and the lcd for other stuff...

the reason crt's are better for gaming is mainly because their response time is nearly 0 (when compared to lcd's at least), and so, show no ghosting whatsoever. not to mention there's no risk of dead pixels, which are really fricken annoying.
            I agree with the 12ms response time, but wtf about the Samsung 172x? Im running the same LCD and its the same as playing on CRT practically, and it has a 12ms response time.

Comment

The Samsung 172x is a great monitor, don't get me wrong. But saying it's just like playing on a CRT is just ridiculous...

It's sort of like wireless vs. wired mouse. A lot of people say they can't tell the difference and therefore people assume that there's no difference between the two...

Try a side-by-side comparison, on the same system. Hook up a 172x and a high-end CRT to the same PC... Play a game on the CRT... then switch over to the 172x. You'll definitely notice a difference. It's not a big one, but it's there... and when your reflexes are as slow as mine, you need all the help you can get

Comment

suttonator, that site is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over priced...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143025

you're paying 400 dollars more just to have it already overclocked out of the box. you seriously dont' need it to be overclocked--especially with pci-e. you'll already be getting fps way higher than your response times/refresh rates depending on what type of monitor you're gonna go with. don't waste your money, man.

don't walk, RUN, from that website.

Comment

Originally posted by And I Fall
                  suttonator, that site is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over priced...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143025

you're paying 400 dollars more just to have it already overclocked out of the box. you seriously dont' need it to be overclocked--especially with pci-e. you'll already be getting fps way higher than your response times/refresh rates depending on what type of monitor you're gonna go with. don't waste your money, man.

don't walk, RUN, from that website.
                  "Especially with PCI-E"? What's that supposed to mean? Just because the bus has more bandwidth doesn't mean that the whole system's going to be faster... Current cards aren't saturating the complete bandwidth of AGP 8X yet... PCI-E has NO PERFORMANCE GAIN whatsoever over AGP 8X (This may change with the next generation of graphics cards...)

And overclocking is always a good way to get some more power out of your computer without spending too much. I run at the maximum all the time... why the hell not? The parts are replaced before they get old enough to die, anyway (So what if the graphics card or processor lasts 5 years instead of 10... big f**king deal... after 2 years MAX any component is put into a low-end system and either sold off cheap or given to a friend/relative that needs a computer...)

"you'll already be getting fps way higher than your response times/refresh rates depending on what type of monitor you're gonna go with." Hahah. I guarantee you'll drop under the refresh rate every now and then, unless you go with a 60hz lcd and an 6800GT SLI setup paired with an FX-55... And even those drop every now and then... All the more reason to overclock... And anyway... running at 150+ fps just means you don't have to worry about dropping down into the 50s, which sucks when you have such high-end hardware (and YES, i CAN tell the difference between 50 and 60 fps... not to mention 60 and 100 ).

I don't know how overpriced that system is, since it's been over 10 years since I was last in New zealand... and I was 5-8 years old at the time, so I didn't really keep up with the prices of computer parts back then... but keep in mind, And I Fall, these are NZ$... Just in case you didn't notice...

Comment

If you don't really care about all the response stuff, I think a 20" Dell 2005FPW LCD for under $400 is a great deal. Dell makes some pretty reputable monitors for good prices. If you're not a very competitive player it's a fine monitor to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by bemymonkey
                      I don't know how overpriced that system is, since it's been over 10 years since I was last in New zealand... and I was 5-8 years old at the time, so I didn't really keep up with the prices of computer parts back then... but keep in mind, And I Fall, these are NZ$... Just in case you didn't notice...

oh.. hahah, nevermind

Comment

lol, we all make mistakes. Just yesterday I fried a hard drive because I soldered a molex on wrong ... that really sucked, that was a 120 gig with 8mb cache

Comment

""suttonator, that site is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over priced...""

And I Fall, Do your research!! @ $415 they are near the bottom of the list! Check this site:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...b_s&skd=1&rd=1

But, spend what you wish where you will, the system does not make the gamer. The best and fastest system won't kill the bots or the other guys if you can't aim right.

Comment

Working...
                          X